1.9K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 640     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Maybe they should hold them on a huge piece of land,†Ford mused.

“There’s High Park, a great place, and Downsview Park,†he said, adding bike paths would be good for marathoners.

For longer runs, Ford suggested starting from James Gardens, northeast of Royal York Rd. and Dundas St. W., trekking south to Lake Ontario and along the Humber River.

“I guarantee, if I’m fortunate enough to be mayor, I’ll be studying the alternatives,†he promised.

And in the interests of keeping the roads clear for drivers, even on Sunday mornings, I hope mayor Ford studies the alternatives of moving the Santa Claus parade off of major arteries, causing way more traffic chaos than the Waterfront Marathon. We all know the truth about the existence of Santa Claus, so why do we block city streets with silly parades in his honour?

All the 'Taste of <insert ethnicity of choice>' festivals should be prevented from shutting down streets for entire weekends. They should just rent a vast parking lot (presumably in suburbia) so they don't affect people trying to drive around town.

St Patrick's Day parade? Do we really have that many Irish in the city that we need to block off streets for them to march around? If they like Ireland so much, they should go back there.

Word on the Street completely blocked off Queen's Park this past weekend. That's gotta go (although given it is about reading, that would be a no brainer given Ford's reputation for reading).

Toronto Indy, hmm, tough call as it is about cars. They can still run that event, just don't close off the roads. Let Dad in the station wagon in for a lap or two on his way to take the kiddies to see Grandma.

Also, I hope mayor Ford continues whatever city policies there are that are preventing the Leafs from winning the Stanley Cup. Can you imagine all the traffic chaos that would ensue should that event occur? Best to keep them under-performing.

I imagine mayor Rob Ford would be similar to the nightmare scenario of mayor Biff Tannen in Back To The Future II...

Good Life sponsors the Toronto Marathon in October. Good Life has lots of treadmills. I don't understand why Good Life can't coordinate the runners in their gyms, give them all a treadmill, then compare their times when they're done. Treadmills have computers, right? Surely they can share information (just don't ask Smiththief to coordinate it lol).

Gavin, if you're being serious, there are treadmill marathon events. And elliptical marathon events. However, it's not the same as actually running a marathon outdoors. And marathons like the Scotia Waterfront marathon have become world class events. Can you imagine a mayoral candidate in say Boston, Chicago or New York suggesting that their major marathon be run in a park or on treadmills? Events like this past weekend bring people into the city and help position Toronto as a place that holds world-class events. I know Ford doesn't care about that, but lots of people do. The marathon is about more than just the people out there running 42 km.

Gavin, if you're being serious, there are treadmill marathon events. And elliptical marathon events. However, it's not the same as actually running a marathon outdoors. And marathons like the Scotia Waterfront marathon have become world class events. Can you imagine a mayoral candidate in say Boston, Chicago or New York suggesting that their major marathon be run in a park or on treadmills? Events like this past weekend bring people into the city and help position Toronto as a place that holds world-class events. I know Ford doesn't care about that, but lots of people do. The marathon is about more than just the people out there running 42 km.

I've run in the Toronto Marathon. I couldn't be being more sarcastic.

I'm shocked that so many people are supporting Rob Ford. He's been a councillor for years now, yet he proposes asinine ideas (replace streetcars with buses, have marathons in parks). He'd be the perfect mayor of a suburb, but for the largest city in Canada?

I just saw a web poll on CP24 where people overwhelmingly supported moving marathons off the streets.

I know, I know, CP24 audience, but still... goddamn :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back