435     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 547     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think the RCMP would prevent Harper from meeting with Rob Ford just because he appears to smoke something in the video (as much as I'm a believer, you can't prove what someone is smoking in a video). That reddit thread also states that yes, the cops probably don't have it because the crown does now (it's evidence). It could still never see the light of day, but not necessarily because it's "gone". But only time will tell...

I hope recent events have taught people more about the low credibility and ethics possessed by most journalists. You have to understand that everyone involved was chasing a story - they weren't trying to do better by their city or its people, but just want to make as much effort as possible to get them through the next awards season. Once this story has become too twisted and difficult -which it has - they will cut and run. Their interest in getting it out only extends as far as getting their name on something that gives their careers an assist.

Obvious here that the Ford investigations were getting them into some dodgy territory, and suddenly the story isn't worth it anymore.

Not trying to sound too cynical here, and maybe it just sounds obvious, but I know from experience that most journos will not go the extra mile to do anything that does not go beyond their own selfish interests in terms of employment and salary. Bah.

That reddit thread also states that yes, the cops probably don't have it because the crown does now (it's evidence). It could still never see the light of day, but not necessarily because it's "gone". But only time will tell...

The "crown has it so cops don't" argument is just wrong. IANAL but it's a basic fact that police have chain of custody on evidence. If TPS ever booked the video into evidence then they still have it, regardless of who they shared it with. Kinsella was making a conjecture based on what a crown attorney was saying - no indication that he had real proof.

I hope recent events have taught people more about the low credibility and ethics possessed by most journalists.

Curious - can you provide some examples of what Daniel Dale, Robyn Doolittle, Megan O'Toole, Greg McCarthur or Don Peat have done that is journalistically unethical? Not trying to start a flame war - just don't see what you're seeing.

I hope recent events have taught people more about the low credibility and ethics possessed by most journalists. You have to understand that everyone involved was chasing a story - they weren't trying to do better by their city or its people, but just want to make as much effort as possible to get them through the next awards season. Once this story has become too twisted and difficult -which it has - they will cut and run. Their interest in getting it out only extends as far as getting their name on something that gives their careers an assist.

Obvious here that the Ford investigations were getting them into some dodgy territory, and suddenly the story isn't worth it anymore.

Not trying to sound too cynical here, and maybe it just sounds obvious, but I know from experience that most journos will not go the extra mile to do anything that does not go beyond their own selfish interests in terms of employment and salary. Bah.

My opinion is that the police had the video at some point, but that it was transferred to the crown and the lawyers after that. So it's not that the police never had a copy, it's that they no longer have one at this point.

You're wrong.

For those despondent with Robyn Doolittle's assessment that the Police never had the video, nor the Crown, keep in mind the Sun story from a month back regarding Mohammad Siad trying to shop the video as a get out of jail card.

Wouldn't it be funny if the video was leaked just before the municipal elections?
I don't think I like that idea. It's an act of desperation much like when the Jack Layton massage story broke right before an election. I hope the video leaks months before the election.

you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I hope recent events have taught people more about the low credibility and ethics possessed by most journalists...
That's a fairly broad brush you have there.
You have to understand that everyone involved was chasing a story - they weren't trying to do better by their city or its people...
I think everyone understands how journalism works. I suppose they would have been doing the public a greater service by not pursuing a story involving the mayor of their city demonstrating one of many reasons he isn't fit for public office.
Once this story has become too twisted and difficult -which it has - they will cut and run.
wut?
Their interest in getting it out only extends as far as getting their name on something that gives their careers an assist.
How dare they want to further their careers!
Obvious where? Because they haven't released any new info in the last week? First, it's all about how persistent they are in pursuing the mayor. "It's too much!" Now that they are not dropping Ford tidbits daily, they must have abandoned the story. It's so obvious!!!
So journalists that go the extra mile and put their careers on the line for a story OBVIOUSLY are only doing it out of complete and utter self-interest?

Amazing.

Rob Ford just got the transit he promised. Dude is SO getting re-elected. I'm going to watch this thread explode when he does. :cool:

Rob Ford just got the transit he promised. Dude is SO getting re-elected. I'm going to watch this thread explode when he does. :cool:

Which promise? The 12km of new subway lines, 10 new stops, all by 2015, and all through private funding?

robfordtransitplan.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back