4.9K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 699     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get clarification at this late hour but if convicted and sentenced to jail time or even probation, Ford could be ineligible to run for public office. This investigation is already in advanced phases and charges could be laid as early as late September or early October.

lisi's lawyer domenic basile has been shadily in the news before...

"Basile was named in court documents as an "unindicted co-conspirator,""

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/05/22/opp_photos_tie_crowns_to_dangelo_victory_bash.html

also mentioned in... http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/05/15/9464796-sun.html

"But The Globe has learned that during this probe, police came upon what is the more stunning series of alleged offences - that Sgt. Rutigliano allegedly helped one man, Peter Mavroudis, "avoid prosecution in Ontario" and that he "conspired and agreed with Frank D'Angelo," the former beer magnate, and Mr. Basile to obstruct or defeat "the course of justice in the sexual assault prosecution" against Mr. D'Angelo.

That latter allegation is curious, because Mr. D'Angelo, who was acquitted just last month of sexually assaulting a friend's daughter, had a trial by judge alone, and was prosecuted by Crowns from the North York office."

http://bctrialofbasi-virk.blogspot.ca/2009/05/ontario-requests-out-of-province-bc.html

Interesting links. I get the feeling that our "justice" system is rotten to the core sometimes. The "special" prosecutor brought in from B.C. in the case of Sgt Rutigliano (who was acquitted this January) was the same "special" prosecutor brought in from B.C. who exonerated former Attorney General Michael Bryant of all charges in the hit-and-run death of Darcy Allan Shepard.

Interesting links. I get the feeling that our "justice" system is rotten to the core sometimes. The "special" prosecutor brought in from B.C. in the case of Sgt Rutigliano (who was acquitted this January) was the same "special" prosecutor brought in from B.C. who exonerated former Attorney General Michael Bryant of all charges in the hit-and-run death of Darcy Allan Shepard.

good to know. thanks.

Word is coming through that this has now crossed the line into criminal territory. Rob Ford and his cohorts are being investigated for obstruction of justice.

weird / funny that a lawyer implicated in an obstruction of justice case would now be the lawyer of someone in an obstruction of justice case.

I'm trying to get clarification at this late hour but if convicted and sentenced to jail time or even probation, Ford could be ineligible to run for public office. This investigation is already in advanced phases and charges could be laid as early as late September or early October.

If convicted and sentenced to jail time Ford would be ineligible to run for office but it can take years to get a conviction even if charges were laid tomorrow. Of course if obstruction of justice charges were filed sometime between now and the next election the cloud over Ford would - I think - make it impossible for him to win the next election if he were to choose to run which I think would be unlikely.

someone on here was saying something similar to this recently...

"I don’t know about you, but I don’t particularly want to help him. I’ve taken some defiant assholes to AA meetings, and it wasn’t fun. One ran out of the back door of a streetcar on our way to a meeting and almost got hit by a car. Another used to show up with a bottle of wine in her purse to meet me for “sober” coffee. I don’t need that shit and neither do you.

Plus, were Ford to admit publicly that he has a problem, his chances of winning the 2014 election would probably even increase; the public plea of an addicted politician is more powerful than private shame. As cruel as it sounds, it may just be in everyone’s best interest that the mayor doesn’t enter rehab—at least not while he’s still in office."

http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/blog/dont-make-rob-ford-go-rehab

interesting...

"A joint investigation by the Toronto Star and CBC's French-language investigative program Enquête found that the ‘Ndrangheta has infiltrated many facets of society from the political realm to the manufacturing sector.

[...]

During his business mission in Chicago, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was asked by CBC News regarding the accusations and said he was unaware of the report and that he has never been approached by the mafia."

http://www.examiner.com/article/former-rcmp-chief-says-ontario-faces-ndrangheta-mafia-problem

Talking Ford here, if charged for obstruction of justice he wouldn't have a trial for at least a year which means...?

This crack addict seems to have the police and the crown on his side with this statement. I have suspected this for some time and the implications are enormous. It means that we are not simply looking at a scandal involving the Ford family but a scandal in which senior police and crown attorneys may be implicated.

Or that was just stupid criminal talk.

This part of the star article is interesting for me. Right after a long paragraph about Lisi, Price and Towhey (and what each said/did) they clarify:

Neither Lisi, Ford, nor Price have responded to numerous requests for interviews.

That seems like a clever way of telling us that Towhey was indeed their unnamed source in the earlier stories about what happened in Ford's office (as many have long suspected). That in turn pretty much proves the existence of the video (if we still need that).

who on here said first one with a story gets their digital subscription? looks like the star has won that.

That was me and I think I will honour that promise this afternoon.

Last edited:
I've been saying for awhile that it's more disconcerting that the video so neatly disappeared than that it existed in the first place. Now we see at least two shady characters - Dave Price and Mr. Range Rover - looking for the video while in direct communication with Ford. And, while the incidents of violence surrounding the video might not ever connect to Ford, incidents of violence do surround this affair.

Nothing has to wait until it all goes through the courts. There are 44 councillours, there are representatives of higher governments, journalists, law officers, professors. They all need to demand that Ford answer questions. Anyone who has any standing in society and any attachment to municipal government who now allows this guy to stand there and say "I've addressed that already. Anything else?" is despicable. People need to demand he stand up and answer for his actions or resign.

And if Doug Ford steps out to blame the Star and the elites, tell him to shut the fuck up.

who on here said first one with a story gets their digital subscription? looks like the star has won that.

Oh please - this isn't even close to the smoking gun. Here's an advance copy of Doug's script for tomorrow's radio show:

"Can you believe how low the Toronto Star has sunk now? They weren't happy to just attack our families, so now they've gone after Rob's friends. What do people Rob went to high school with have to do with building subways and cutting your taxes? Nothing, that's what. Sure, some of Rob's friends have problems, but that's how life works. Rob's a regular, hard-working guy. He's not going to abandon them because some latte-sipping downtowner thinks that's what politicians should do. If Rob's guilty of anything, it's sticking by his friends in need and helping them out.

It's disgusting that the Star thinks they can publish all this slander just so they can sell papers. Did you know they want to charge people $10 a month just to read this garbage on line? Greedy pigs. Unbelievable."

Last edited:
What exactly constitutes incompetence in a Toronto mayor these days? Basic standards of competent civic behaviour have disappeared. Difficult questions to answer? Pretend you've already addressed them. Assume a giant constituency of voter support when the facts show otherwise. Lie, exaggerate, divert. This is a sad way to run a successful city into the ground. Toronto deserves better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back