350     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 630     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very funny, I guess having the entire subway system shut down due to flooding is a regular occurance.

I wouldn't characterize portions of the subway being shutdown as unexpected given the TTC.

then perhaps he need to re-think his competency for his job.

He's never going too, and everyone knows that. Suggesting he might is wishful thinking.

Personally, I'd want to see the Mayor visible any time we have a thunderstorm, or my power goes out. I want a politician to tell me I'll be okay, and look like he's doing something so he can be re-elected.

I'm sure those city workers would rather he not try to interfere. But I guess people would prefer the Mayor, who is believed to be incompetent, take the reins from trained individuals.

Yes, yesterday was just another thunderstorm, and there were no emergency situations in Toronto, or GTA. I don't know why all these things get blown out of proportion. It's not fair, people should just leave Robbie alone, it's not his job to be a leader, or an example of civic responsibly.

I wouldn't characterize portions of the subway being shutdown as unexpected given the TTC.

The entire subway system due to flood, which in itself is also not a common occurence? And that only as an example of the exceptionality of the event, which is my point in the first place? Can we stop playing these games around picking at someone's examples to deflect the point, which is patently clear?

He's never going too, and everyone knows that. Suggesting he might is wishful thinking.

Well, then perhaps it is time for his supporters to do some thinking instead. If not, I think I will have to question the sanity of said supporters in supporting someone who is clearly unfit for the job.

AoD

Last edited:
Let me get this right. You were huddled.... in the car...with your family..... enjoying air conditioning.... while Toronto was experiencing a MASSIVE RAINFALL??!!!! NEWSFLASH! YOU ARE THE MAYOR OF THE CITY!

THEN, you mumble and bumble your way through the press conference, saying that everything was down...or words to that affect. (NOT TRUE) Everybody was in their cars (AGAIN, NOT TRUE). And then....as if the above wasn't enough...you tell us that you were.....in someone's BASEMENT!!!!! looking at their water damage!!! For the love of gawd....make it stop!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire subway system due to flood, which in itself is also not a common occurence?

Was the entire system down last night? I know large stretches of it where but didn't think the whole system was.

Chestercopperpot:

At one point the entire system was on hold (right around the height of rush hour) - and there were significant disruption/closure on literally every single line well into the night post rush. For all intents and purposes the system was crippled (and we're just talking about the subway system, not even the troubles of the surface routes).

AoD

Last edited:
Was the entire system down last night? I know large stretches of it where but didn't think the whole system was.

There were holds of 10-15 minutes at times on B-D and Y-U-S. At the peak, Kipling to Ossington, Downsview to St. Clair West, Osgoode to Bloor, Lawrence to Finch and the Sheppard Subway were closed. That's nearly half the subway system completely shut down. The parts that were running were delayed considerably.

Doug really makes me laugh at this point. He is pathologically incapable of not exaggerating. Douggie is now estimating he personally moved 20,000 cars through the intersection.

At one point the entire system was on hold (right around the height of rush hour) - and there were significant disruption/closure on literally every single line well into the night post rush. For all intents and purposes the system was crippled (and we're just talking about the subway system, not even the troubles of the surface routes).

Furthermore, all this complaints about how allegedly minor things were is pure hindsight -- at the time, we really didn't know how serious things might get. Clearly a lot of city infrastructure was "surprised" by the severity of the storm, and it wasn't clear at the time how long problems would last, or what issues might crop up. Severe flooding of the subway could have taken out the system for this morning. Flooded basement areas in downtown buildings could have taken out communications infrastructure. The airport could have had serious flood damage. The DVP could have been blocked. The Gardiner could have had yet more falling concrete. Power outages could have remained significant all night.

Honestly, all it would have taken was for Ford to drive to City Hall and, for just a few hours, pretend to care about what is going on the city he allegedly leads.

But I think the fact that his supporters aren't troubled by his lack of leadership, or pooh-pooh such actions as micromanagement, pretty much reveals their foundational belief: governance is merely an intrusion, so no one should lead at city hall. They don't want Ford making city government work, because they don't want a city government.

Doug really makes me laugh at this point. He is pathologically incapable of not exaggerating. Douggie is now estimating he personally moved 20,000 cars through the intersection.

Say 1,000 vehicles per lane per hour x 2 lanes per direction x 4 directions = 8,000 vehicles per hour. How long was Doug there?

Let me get this right. You were huddled.... in the car...with your family..... enjoying air conditioning.... while Toronto was experiencing a MASSIVE RAINFALL??!!!! NEWSFLASH! YOU ARE THE MAYOR OF THE CITY!
If Nero could provide leadership for fiddling while Rome burned, surely Ford can provide leadership by phoning while Toronto flooded!

Furthermore, all this complaints about how allegedly minor things were is pure hindsight -- at the time, we really didn't know how serious things might get. Clearly a lot of city infrastructure was "surprised" by the severity of the storm, and it wasn't clear at the time how long problems would last, or what issues might crop up. Severe flooding of the subway could have taken out the system for this morning. Flooded basement areas in downtown buildings could have taken out communications infrastructure. The airport could have had serious flood damage. The DVP could have been blocked. The Gardiner could have had yet more falling concrete. Power outages could have remained significant all night.

Honestly, all it would have taken was for Ford to drive to City Hall and, for just a few hours, pretend to care about what is going on the city he allegedly leads.

But I think the fact that his supporters aren't troubled by his lack of leadership, or pooh-pooh such actions as micromanagement, pretty much reveals their foundational belief: governance is merely an intrusion, so no one should lead at city hall. They don't want Ford making city government work, because they don't want a city government.

What did you expect Ford to do? Personally drain all the flooded water, unblock the DVP and pick up concrete debris?

There's nothing he could have done that would have made a difference. You guys would criticize him for anything.

Say 1,000 vehicles per lane per hour x 2 lanes per direction x 4 directions = 8,000 vehicles per hour. How long was Doug there?

Yes, ~17 vehicles /minute (one every 3 seconds) for each lane x 8 lanes in 4 directions - it'd be a conveyor belt of cars jammed up together.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back