News   Aug 01, 2024
 473     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 601     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 498     0 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

The idea that the cost of a license actually goes towards road maint. was tongue and cheek on my part. It's really just a tax to cover the administrative costs associated with them (those ivory towers, benefits, pensions and salaries aren't free), and the license is a way to force us to behave. So I think that $50 - $60 per year per bike is fair... besides, don't you downtownies love paying more and more tax? You vote Liberal don't you?

Are you insane? $50/yr for a bike is fair?

The vehicle fee is essentially a sin tax, intended to discourage car usage and raise some revenue to cover some of the expense they are responsible for. The city is trying to encourage bike usage, and they cause virtually no additional expense.

I received mail from his people asking for money. I am not a suporter of Ford and was jokingly considering sending a note saying that people lacking good polish/grace shouldn't be running for office until they get some! Of course, we live in Toronto, and it seems that a lot of people don't consider good polish necessary (both in the left and in the right). Oh well, what can you do?

You get around the $60 by registering your vehicle to a business or and address outside of this mess.
What mess? What's with this "mess" and "henchmen" language. If you despise this city so much, why don't you move?

So basically, your telling us your are breaking the law to save $60. What else do you do? Cheat on your taxes? Steal your neighbours newspapers? Jump turnstiles?

Why do we have any interest in what a common criminal says?

Is this the Rob Ford constituency? Criminals and wife-beaters?

I already pay for bicycle lanes - with property taxes. I also, unfortunately, pay for the upkeep of roads even though it is cars who cause the wear on them. By your logic, we should also start charging a pedestrian walking fee to pay for all of the sidewalks.

Bicycles can cost as little as $100. How much should the annual licensing fee be to make it comparable to car licensing fees? $2?

Where are you buying your bikes from? Is that price for new or used? I do agree a bicycle tax sounds ridiculous. We need less taxes, not more.

What mess? What's with this "mess" and "henchmen" language. If you despise this city so much, why don't you move?

So basically, your telling us your are breaking the law to save $60. What else do you do? Cheat on your taxes? Steal your neighbours newspapers? Jump turnstiles?

Fitz, you're literally like political correctness on adrenaline, except when it suits your agenda to call the opposition moron, buffoon, douchebag, trash, criminal, substance abuser, wifebeater, racist, homophobe, clown, idiot, ignorant...

You honestly have no clue how much hatred your words project, which is sad since it flies right in the face of the tolerance and respect for one's differences that you'd want for the whole world to practice.

Fitz, you're literally like political correctness on adrenaline, except when it suits your agenda to call the opposition moron, buffoon, douchebag, trash, criminal, substance abuser, wifebeater, racist, homophobe, clown, idiot, ignorant...
There's a differnce between discussing normal politicans (right and left) and trash like Ford.

Are you insane? $50/yr for a bike is fair?

The vehicle fee is essentially a sin tax, intended to discourage car usage and raise some revenue to cover some of the expense they are responsible for. The city is trying to encourage bike usage, and they cause virtually no additional expense.

What, and $134 is fair for a car? If you own a car, it's all tax, tax, tax, tax, tax - more than pay their fair share. So asking $50 a year for a bike is no big deal to me, especially if it promotes a safer environment for those on the roads. I imagine it'd start out at $15 or so and you'd get the typical slow but steady increase because the Gov't need the money to deliver services routine.

The idea of a vehicle tax as being a sin tax is laughable; recover costs for roads, yes, that makes sense. You don't need booze or cigarettes to survive, but in this climate, in a country and city of this size, a vehicle in quite necessary for a lot of people. You may work in an office, but people like trades have got get around the city and TTC or biking just doesn't cut it. Try lugging schedule 40 pipe around on a Schwin :p The city and alot of it's residents don't seem to understand that we don't all work at city hall and can get around or live our lives on good intentions. Most of us aren't really gear heads and live for our cars, but it is a necessary evil (if you want to call it evil).

Actually, it's not breaking the law. The 60 dollar personal vehicle registration tax is a tax based on PERSONAL Ownership.
Business vehicles like budget/enterprise rent a car etc DO NOT pay that tax, just an FYI.

And regarding 'following' the law to a 'T' for bikes.
It's a slippery slope... because then you'll have to give the bikers an ENTIRE LANE on the streets, which i don't think ANY drivers want. On the flip side, where do we stop? Do we start licensing skate boarders, roller bladers, pedestrians?

It's a really grey line, and I don't think you can put a definitive answer to that..

Bikers need to represent themselves better and not think they own the road.
Like I said earlier, when it comes down to it, 2000lbs or your pride... it's an easy choice!

Last edited:

Whoa, you've gone way beyond bending what I've said. Toronto is a mess, a bankrupt mess. Henchmen - "a trusted follower : a right-hand man b : a political follower whose support is chiefly for personal advantage". Sums up Miller and his ilk.

I'll tell you what I don't do... make totally baseless accusations to demonize others so it is easier to attack them. Your response belies the fact that you really have no argument beyond spitting venom. Common criminal? Wife-beater? Where does this come from? What law am I breaking?

Disagreeing with you makes me wrong... the truest sign of an intellectual under-achiever. I hope you haven't hit your monitor yet.

There's a differnce between discussing normal politicans (right and left) and trash like Ford.
I've met and have friends involved with both politicians....

you would rather deal with ford... he's more straight up then slippery ol' joe.

Actually, it's not breaking the law. The 60 dollar personal vehicle registration tax is a tax based on PERSONAL Ownership.
Business vehicles like budget/enterprise rent a car etc DO NOT pay that tax, just an FYI.!
Fair enough. I can't imagine there are too many people in the position to do that.

And regarding 'following' the law to a 'T' for bikes.
Probably is ... don't ask me, I don't bike in Toronto ... I value my life too much. Same goes for cars ... read the post about the person who stopped for 3 seconds at each stop sign, and what other cars did.

Whoa, you've gone way beyond bending what I've said. Toronto is a mess, a bankrupt mess..
How can you say something like that? Toronto isn't bankrupt. Moody's recently boosted Toronto's rating to AA1 to reflect the city's low debt burden. That's a very high rating indicating that Moody judges Toronto's debt to be high quality, with "very low credit risk".

Henchmen - "a trusted follower : a right-hand man b : a political follower whose support is chiefly for personal advantage". Sums up Miller and his ilk.
What you have left out is that it is usually derogatory. But okay ... I'll withdraw that comment. It's a fair cop.

The_Waffler;411801I'll tell you what I don't do... make totally baseless accusations to demonize others so it is easier to attack them.[/QuOtE said:
I don't believe that I have. Ford's racist, sexist, and bigoted comments have been documented in the media. His alcohol-fueled abusive rants have been documented in the media. His arrest for beating his wife was documented in the media (surprise, surprise ... she dropped the charges ...).

Your response belies the fact that you really have no argument beyond spitting venom..
And odd comment from someone who has lied about Toronto being bankrupt - with reality being not only is it not banrkupt, but is doing very well to manage it's debt.

Common criminal? Wife-beater? Where does this come from? What law am I breaking?
I didn't call you a wife beater. Ford's arrest for beating his wife is well documented. You tell me how your avoiding the Toronto car tax ... perhaps I assumed wrong.

Last edited:
Just wanted to clear up for waffler.. i'm a cyclist and a driver.. but I don't cycle because it's a 'lifestyle' decision like some, but more because it's the most efficient way to get around (unfortunately). The TTC is a mess and a diaster.. But I'm lucky that I live in the core, and my work and most locations are accessible..

People need to be less myopic and expand their thinking. Toronto is a HUGE city.
It's great if you live between dufferin (maybe even expand that to highpark), and perhaps the DVP(greenwood?) and south of bloor....

It's lot less realistic when you go beyond those boundaries. The percentage of bikers are drastically reduced.

It bothers me when people like the heads of these cycling groups try and preach their lifestyle when they don't need to bike beyond 5 klicks between home and work and are in the age group of 21 to 35. Try and consider the entire population!

Last edited:

Back