News   Jul 16, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

Those poor conservatives, so deprived of good media attention. I mean they only have three daily newspapers, (Post, Sun, and Globe), the two most popular networks (CTV and Global), and all of talk radio.

you think the GLOBE is a conservative paper?

This is the type of backing Pantalone has eh..

While it's more centrist than either the Sun or the Post, the Globe is still centre-right. It endorsed Harper the last two elections, John Tory in 2003, and Lastman in 1997.

While it's more centrist than either the Sun or the Post, the Globe is still centre-right. It endorsed Harper the last two elections, John Tory in 2003, and Lastman in 1997.

Facts?? You bring facts to this discussion??

Facts?? You bring facts to this discussion??

Selective Facts.... ommissions... He forgot to mention that the Globe and Mail also endorsed Jean Chretien and Paul Martin during the federal elections.
It's also endorsed the NDP, that put them in Government in in BC and Saskatchewan.
Centrist, Pragmatic, Business Minded, Independant, Progressive,... Yes... but to say to say it's 'Conservative', is misleading.

That being said, I would not expect any sort of independant thinking from NDP grunts ;)

Last edited:

This is the type of backing Pantalone has eh..

Well, Pantalone's inheriting John Laschinger--David Miller's stickhandler who's otherwise a pretty prominent Tory operative...

Rob Ford was completely out of his element at the Pug Talks, and would default to his customary one-toned sermon about cutting taxes and reining in spending (alongside the occasional reminder that he had experience running a multimillion dollar business and was always willing to stand up for the little guy) when confronted with questions about improving standards in architecture and investment in the public realm. The Rexdale to Rosedale comment was embarrassingly funny, as was the occasion when someone yelled "just answer the question!" from the back of the room.

Oh my ... this is getting weird. The Toronto Star is reporting:

Ford complains to police about recipient of AIDS apology
Says he was ‘intimidated’ by emails

Mayoral candidate Rob Ford has lodged a complaint with Toronto police against the HIV-positive man to whom he famously apologized for his past comments about people who get AIDS.

When Ford left Dieter Doneit-Henderson’s apartment in north Etobicoke after an early May interview with the Star, Doneit-Henderson was thrilled with Ford’s apology and pledged to work on the Etobicoke councillor’s campaign team.

But the relationship soured over efforts by the Ford family to help Doneit-Henderson and his husband, Colville, find a family doctor. Both HIV-positive with other health conditions, they have a long list of drugs they were prescribed by their former doctor in Ottawa.

Adrienne Batra, a spokeswoman for the Ford campaign, said Wednesday night Ford felt “intimidated†by recent emails from the pair and took copies to Toronto police on Tuesday to ask for an investigation.

“He felt intimidated by these guys in the language that they were using, things like they were going to ‘bring the Ford family down,’ †Batra said.

She added that Etobicoke MPP Donna Cansfield, whom the Fords had enlisted to help the couple find a doctor, has also complained to police about correspondence.

Neither Toronto police nor Cansfield could be reached for comment.

In an interview, Doneit-Henderson called the allegations absurd.

“I have a shattered rib and fibromyalgia,†a chronic pain disorder. “What am I going to do — throw myself at him?â€

Doneit-Henderson added he has also contacted police to discuss what he feels is threatening behaviour from the Ford team.

The Ford campaign has been on high alert since it learned that Doneit-Henderson recorded a phone call between him and Rob Ford in which Doneit-Henderson asks Ford to get him OxyContin, a powerful narcotic, on the street, and Ford seems to entertain the request.

Ford later told the Star he never had any intention of illegally buying drugs and simply didn’t know what to say to someone who had told him he was going through withdrawal because he couldn’t get his prescriptions filled.

In a 2006 debate about funding an AIDS prevention strategy, Ford said: “If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probably.â€

In May, after Doneit-Henderson emailed the Star about the comments, a reporter got Doneit-Henderson on the phone during an interview with Ford. Ford insisted on driving to the nearby apartment to apologize in person, saying “I feel hurt if I insulted you in any way.â€

This could be the most entertaining mayoral campaign ever! Between Giambrone and Ford, I don't think we are going to see this election topped in our lifetimes!

Selective Facts.... ommissions... He forgot to mention that the Globe and Mail also endorsed Jean Chretien and Paul Martin during the federal elections.
It's also endorsed the NDP, that put them in Government in in BC and Saskatchewan.
Centrist, Pragmatic, Business Minded, Independant, Progressive,... Yes... but to say to say it's 'Conservative', is misleading.

The Globe varies between the Liberals and Conservatives. Switching between a centrist party and a right-wing party is exactly what makes them centre-right. That in the couple hundred elections held over the last fifty years the Globe has only twice deigned to support New Democrats is the most telling evidence of all.

The Star mostly endorses Liberals (I believe they have done so in every federal election since the 1960s) It will sometimes endorse New Democrats, (Miller in 03, and 06, Rae in 90). Mostly endorsing a centrist party but sometimes veering left places them squarely on the centre-left.

That the Star endorsed the Tories under Bill Davis doesn't make them a conservative paper, just as the Globe endorsing the Romanow NDP doesn't make that paper progressive.

The Globe has always been very pro-choice and has always endorsed same-sex marriage from the early 1990s.

The Globe has always been very pro-choice and has always endorsed same-sex marriage from the early 1990s.
Our current Conservative government also claims to be pro-choice, and has said it has no intention of changing the abortion legislation. It's also said it has no intention of changing the rules around same-sex marriage. Does that make people who support pro-choice and same-sex marriage right-wing?

Re Rob Ford at the Pug Talks

When Mr. Ford launched into his standard biographical riff in answer to the first question about city planning, someone in the audience shouted: “Answer the question!”

Later, as Mr. Ford extolled his customer service record – “I personally have returned 250,000 calls in 10 years” – candidate Rocco Rossi cut him off. “Are you doing the math? This is 70 calls a day, including Christmas. Come on, are you a one-man call centre or what?”

And when Mr. Ford boasted about making the rough North Etobicoke neighbourhood of Rexdale “look like Rosedale,” the audience burst out laughing.

“This is an NDP crowd down here. You know, this is downtown. It’s okay. I just know what the average person wants,” Mr. Ford said after the debate, which preceded the Pug Awards, bestowed on the best and worst in new architecture in Toronto this year. Globe and Mail architecture columnist John Bentley Mays moderated the debate.

And, you know what? This is Urban Toronto. We deal a lot with urban design discussions. Therefore, stuff like this ought to resonate particularly strongly, definitively, right?

Last edited:
Rexdale has improved a lot in recent years.

Holy crap Rossi is good with his math if he was able to cut him off.

Our current Conservative government also claims to be pro-choice, and has said it has no intention of changing the abortion legislation. It's also said it has no intention of changing the rules around same-sex marriage. Does that make people who support pro-choice and same-sex marriage right-wing?
The Conservative government does not claim to be pro-choice, they just refuse to open the debate. Their refusal to support abortion in foreign aid projects makes it very clear where they stand.

Ford feels 'set up' by drug tape

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/c...nists/sueann_levy/2010/06/16/pf-14417601.html

City hall’s “enfant terrible” — mayoralty candidate Rob Ford — insists he only was trying to help someone in trouble when he offered to try to find an HIV-positive man some OxyContin on the street.

“I personally feel sorry for him ... he needs help... he needs something,” Ford said Wednesday.

The highly questionable offer comes out in a 52-minute conversation Ford had with Dieter Doneit-Henderson on the evening of June 4 — a tape of which was obtained by the Toronto Sun.

In it, the 30-year-old gay married man admits to having taken 14 mg of OxyContin, a powerful and addictive pain killer, and 150 mg of Fentynal a day to deal with the pain of a fractured rib and fibromyalgia.

After revealing to Ford that the last doctor he had gone to refused to give him more OxyContin, the councillor at first suggests he get it on the street.

Later in the conversation Doneit-Henderson asks if Ford himself can find him some OxyContin, and Ford responds more than once that he’ll try, asking how much it goes for on the street.

“Why don’t you go on the street and score it?” Ford says in the tape.

When the man suggests he needs only two or three or four of the pills to “kill the pain,” Ford asks him to leave it with him and he’ll “ask people on the street” to see what he can do.

At one point, Doneit-Henderson presses Ford for help.

“Can you find OyxContin for me, Rob?”

Ford says “Huh?” and Doneit-Henderson repeats himself.

“Can you find OxyContin so I can get on the medication, so I can ...”

Ford interupts. “I’ll try buddy, I’ll try ...”

As Doneit-Henderson continues to press, Ford suggests he’ll go to his doctor and ask “people on the street to see what’s going on ...”

“Leave this with me ... I have no idea. I don’t know any drug dealers at all,” he said. “I’ll bet my life I won’t be able to help you out ... because I’ve never done this kind of s--t.”

Wednesday, Ford told the Sun he never intended to actually purchase drugs for Doneit-Henderson.

“I feel set up,” he said, suggesting someone’s out to get him because he’s in first place in the most recent polls. “I went above and beyond to try to help him.”

Ford said he was introduced to the man on May 10 by a Toronto Star reporter.

The introduction followed a mayoralty debate in early May in which opponent George Smitherman attacked the outspoken Etobicoke councillor for his 2006 comments in which he contended only gay men and drug abusers get AIDs.

Ford contacted MPP Donna Cansfield for her help with finding the man a doctor.

He said he told the man whatever he wanted to hear in the 52-minute conversation because it started to concern him that Doneit-Henderson knew where he lived with his young family and was starting to become more threatening.

Ford said he was “playing along” and tried to get him off the phone five or six times.

“Just not to upset him I would have said anything,” he said. “I don’t know any drug dealers ... I don’t even know what this s--t — that what’s I call drugs — this s--t is.

“I just basically said what he wanted to hear,” Ford said, insisting he’s not into the drug scene and would never score drugs.

He added that he didn’t know what OxyContin was until it was explained to him.

Ford said he had an inkling the man was taping the conversation — something that was confirmed in a June 9 e-mail to Doug Ford from Dieter’s husband, Colville, and on which the Star reporter is copied.

An assistant in Cansfield’s office said they tried to work with Doneit-Henderson to find a doctor but it became a problem because he has had 10 doctors since he moved to Toronto from Ottawa on March 15.

“We eventually got some threatening e-mails ... we didn’t know where to go next,” the assistant said.

Reached Wednesday evening, Doneit-Henderson said he doesn’t know how he could be threatening when he can “barely bend over to take out the garbage.” Nevertheless, he conceded he had given the tape of the June 4 phone call to the Star reporter, X-tra and Fab magazines because he was “disappointed” in Ford and wanted to make sure Ford kept his promise to find him a doctor.

He said he has been tweeting messages on Twitter alleging Ford is a “wife abuser.”

Doneit-Henderson denied he set up Ford or intended to ruin his reputation.

“I have no interest in giving Rob Ford a bad name,” he said.

“In my heart I want to support this man because of his fiscal policies and because of his stance on various issues we see eye-to-eye on,” referring to councillor Kyle Rae’s 11th-hour spending on a party and a junket.

Ford said he felt he had to go overboard to help Doneit-Henderson because the councillor has been accused of being homophobic.

“They accuse me all the time of not liking gays ... which I do,” he said. “I really felt sorry for this guy and I still do.

“But I did whatever I could do for him ... I don’t know what else I can do for him.”

He said those who have heard the tape say he’s just “too nice” and has to stop returning all of his phone calls personally.

sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca

Back