News   Jul 26, 2024
 620     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

^^ I think intelligence might have something to do with it. A child with an IQ of 90, probably has little chance of having a great education or getting a scholarship to university. (unless, of course, they have wealth and connections)

That's no excuse. Undergraduate study requires little intelligence, neither do the vast majority of jobs. If you are not intelligent, then study harder. If somebody is 10 times smarter than you, then you work 100 times harder. If a kid studied 16 hours a day, no TV, no video games, yet still couldn't pass an examine, then I would say he is disabled. Yet I have never seen such kids.

mig174 said:
I would argue that especially for children, home environment and parenting are huge determinants of future success. Poorer parents are unlikely to be able to spend a lot of time with their kids or provide them with the opportunities more well-off kids have. I think that constitutes less "fortunate" and, as a consequence, less prepared.

The unpreparedness does not stop at generation boundaries. In these cases, it's the parents who are less prepared, they have to take responsibility for their offsprings. If it's only a monetary thing, then Canada provides both public schools and interest free loans. If it's an altitude thing, then there's little the society can do unless we brand these parents as unfit. The important thing is that the society can't create moral hazard and somehow makes it seem acceptable. Also, it's not too late to start preparing at 18. Yes, you would be at a disadvantage, but work harder and you can make it up. I would even argue rich kids have more material distractions.

Our country should make sure every kid has opportunities, maybe not equal opportunities, but opportunities to go to school and build a career. No, not everybody can be Einstein or Bill Gates or even Rob Ford. However, I do believe in Canada every able person does have the opportunity to get an average life. We just need to drive home the idea that you reap what you sow and stop making excuses for people.

The street: Oakmount Rd and Pacific Avenue from Bloor St to Dundas St West

The neighbourhood: Junction yuppies meet High Park renters

The sign count today: Rob Ford-3 Joe Pantelone-1 George Smitherman-0

Driving down Avenue Rd yesterday I saw two Rossi signs, a bunch of Smitherman signs and no Ford or Pants signs.

^ I've actually seen Ford signs taken down! :)

I was walking in the Trinity-Bellwoods Park area and a guy came out of his house, took out the Ford sign he had on his lawn and took it inside. I recall seeing signs peppered here and there around this hood and now I can't seem to find any at all. Anybody else notice this in their neighbourhoods?

The street: Roncevalles from Queen to where it turns into Dundas West up to Bloor.

The neighbourhood: Polish meets old and new money with a strong independent business streak

The issues that matter most to locals: Taxes and anger at the impact on business the streetcar track renewal has created.

The sign count: Rob Ford-over 40; Joe Pantelone-0; George Smitherman-1

Last edited:
The street: Roncevalles from Queen to where it turns into Dundas West up to Bloor.

The neighbourhood: Polish meets old and new money with a strong independent business streak

The issues that matter most to locals: Taxes and anger at the impact on business the streetcar track renewal has created.

It's a good things signs in no way correlate with actual voting turnout. Then again, I was in the neighbourhood yesterday and saw mainly Pantalone signs.

The wife of Rob Ford has a Polish background. That could be one reason for that. Nothing about Rob's ideas.

See this story from torontoist.com back in August about how his supporters presented one opinion, and what happened afterwards:

Monique D'Sa is ecstatic. For more than a year, the Etobicoke resident and environmental chair of the West Kingsway Ratepayers’ Association (WKRA) has been campaigning to preserve a TDSB-owned parcel of green space that, over the past twenty years, has become a de facto part of Etobicoke's Fairfield Park. In 2009, the school board declared the land surplus and instructed its real estate subsidiary, the Toronto Lands Corporation, to court developers and find a buyer, pushing the community to act.

Yesterday, D’Sa, the WKRA, and other concerned community members finally saw their efforts pay off. In one of its final sessions before the October 25 municipal elections, Toronto’s City Council passed a motion moved by Ward 5 Etobicoke-Lakeshore Councillor Peter Milczyn to acquire the land from the school board for $6.5 million (the price tag also includes an adjacent parking lot used by Fairfield Seniors Centre).

"The greenspace is a substantial field in an area that will experience substantial growth in population in the coming years," Milczyn told Torontoist. "The potential of the open space to be actively used for recreational uses such as a soccer pitch will be essential to provide area residents with active parkland...I was not surprised by the Council support as...[the] councillors recognize the importance of protecting existing publicly owned green spaces."

The final council vote: forty-three to one. Care to guess who voted against the motion? We’ll give you a hint: he hates spending.

Yes, mayoral candidate Rob Ford was the only councillor to vote against the motion. Normally, we’d just chalk this up to Ford’s penny pinching, sigh, and call it a day, but the Etobicoke North councillor's vote wasn't expected to go the way it did.

In mid-April, we attended the WRKA’s "Save the Greenspace" rally at Fairfield Park, and while Ford wasn’t able to make the festivities, he did send a contingent of his campaign workers to cook hot dogs, pose for photos, and distribute "Ford for Mayor" bumper stickers, which gave the impression that he supported the cause.

"I was surprised by councillor Ford's lone dissenting vote," Milczyn told us. "At the public rally...councillor Ford's supporters were present expressing his support for the local community."

Perhaps Ford later changed his mind, or his campaign didn't know that he opposed the cause, or maybe he never intended to support it anyway. Unfortunately, we don’t know: we asked the Ford campaign to comment, but they didn't respond to our inquires.

Ford likes to say that he's "as honest as the days are long." For the residents of Etobicoke-Lakeshore, Wednesday's vote would have been a great opportunity for him to prove it.

Beware of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The wife of Rob Ford has a Polish background. That could be one reason for that. Nothing about Rob's ideas.

And if it's about *Polish* retail--well, they don't necessarily live in Roncy anymore. (And neither Smitherman nor Pants have done the retail-sign thing--perhaps significantly.)

Back