News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

yes, Canada sure would benefit from South African or Brazilian style private police forces and Stalin-esque labour camps... charming! :rolleyes:

and if you want to complain about your tax dollars being spent on a larger military and new prisons (for non-existant criminals) as the federal Cons are, well then I can agree with you. Spending tax dollars on socially progressive ideas is the way to go! The Netherlands which is a very equitable society that takes care of its homeless is actually closing prisons because their crime rate is so low now. The old conservative views of amassing personal wealth, competing with your neighbour and every man for himself is on the way out. What is the point in having all those dollars for yourself if the society around you is impoverished?

finally, I would like to point out that "libertarian" is just a fancy way to say sociopath..

Last edited:
Oh, 2.9% sounds so much better than 3%. :) Keep spinning it that way and see how many home owners are buying.
That's what the increase was ... last year it ended with a .9 ... so? The CPI is about 2% currently ...

Ford doesn't seem to understand these numbers ... I've seen him talking a couple of times where he has mistakenly said that the increase last year was 5%. How can someone running for mayor not even remember what the increase was? Do we want a mayor who can't keep even simple facts straight?

As for $60 a year for a car ... what's that ... 2 tanks of gas? Come on ... no one is that whiney.

That's what the increase was ... last year it ended with a .9 ... so? The CPI is about 2% currently ...
I don't care what the rate is. Instead I look at my total tax dollars going to City Hall. By that measure since Miller became mayor, I've seen my property tax bill jump, my driveway and onstreet parking fees increase significantly, and now I'm paying a Miller registration tax on my vehicles. Instead of freezing and reducing spending, Miller has chosen to increase revenue and spending.

I don't care what the rate is. Instead I look at my total tax dollars going to City Hall. By that measure since Miller became mayor, I've seen my property tax bill jump, my driveway and onstreet parking fees increase significantly, and now I'm paying a Miller registration tax on my vehicles. Instead of freezing and reducing spending, Miller has chosen to increase revenue and spending.

You do realize your paying quite a bit less then the 905 for more services ... this comes at the expense of commercial property tax, which are a lot higher.

So ideally, a mayor would cut spending / lower commercial rates / increase residential rates if needed to compensate for the later.

If anyone came out with that policy - even if it meant 4/8 years of little in the way of betterment i.e. NPS revitalization - anything along these lines then fine (I don't count the waterfront in this budget, this is a committed project with a funding from federal levels as well, it's too late for this, it needs to go ahead) ... but anything new ... sure.

You do realize your paying quite a bit less then the 905 for more services ... this comes at the expense of commercial property tax, which are a lot higher.
Oh, I see, others have higher taxes, so anyone who complains about their property taxes in Toronto should shut up and be grateful, or should even be advocating an increase in property taxes for the greater good? And that's the exact sort of thinking and talk that will get Ford elected.

And for thsoe that have owned homes,

it's just not property taxes, they've cleverly managed to 'seperate' taxes with different fees... like 30% in water bill (with a proposed 9% increase annually for the next ten).. garbage pick up, front yard parking tax, parking permit... and it all ends up in a slush fund.

FYI.. comparing 905 taxes to 416 is like comparing apples to oranges.
Increased revenue from density and economies of scale reached in infrastructure delivery really makes it impossible to compare the two, but the left has never been good at accounting.

Last edited:
Oh, I see, others have higher taxes, so anyone who complains about their property taxes in Toronto should shut up and be grateful, or should even be advocating an increase in property taxes for the greater good? And that's the exact sort of thinking and talk that will get Ford elected.

Seriously. Who needs things like "perspective" and "context"? I know common sense when I see it.

And that's the exact sort of thinking and talk that will get Ford elected.
It's the incessant whinging and whining by those who should know better, and think the grass is always greener on the other side of the border that will get a whiny whinger like Ford elected.

We've got better services than most surrounding municipalities for less taxes ... and yet there are still people whining.

yes, Canada sure would benefit from South African or Brazilian style private police forces and Stalin-esque labour camps... charming! :rolleyes:

and if you want to complain about your tax dollars being spent on a larger military and new prisons (for non-existant criminals) as the federal Cons are, well then I can agree with you. Spending tax dollars on socially progressive ideas is the way to go! The Netherlands which is a very equitable society that takes care of its homeless is actually closing prisons because their crime rate is so low now. The old conservative views of amassing personal wealth, competing with your neighbour and every man for himself is on the way out. What is the point in having all those dollars for yourself if the society around you is impoverished?

finally, I would like to point out that "libertarian" is just a fancy way to say sociopath..

I do want to complain about my tax dollars being spent on a larger military and new prisons. What? You thought I like the cons? :)

I see little difference between the Cons and the NDPs. They both want to spend my tax dollars. I don't really care what they want to spend it on, military or social housing, makes no difference to me.

You should really read up on libertarians before you pass such judgement.

If you are so rich, could you send me $60 a year please? :) Better yet, could each of you send me $60 a year? I would be rich in no time. :)

Oh, 2.9% sounds so much better than 3%. :) Keep spinning it that way and see how many home owners are buying.

You guys have been calling Ford names for how long now? And where did his numbers go over that period? :) Give it a rest.

Imagine that, $5 a month for vehicle registration. How horrible! Maybe we should dump that and instead add a transit tax on the purchase of gasoline.

There is no way that Ford or anyone else will be able to put a tax cut in place. The province will never grant the city a red cent if that gets done. It will not happen. Even a brief tax freeze will result in bigger tax increases later on - once Ford is put out of office. Someone eventually will have to act responsibly.

Back