News   Jul 15, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Still can't get over how different the area looks now without the "1950s interchange for automobile gods"

I have to bristle a little at your judgemental tone.

All of the GTA was planned and built on the basis of the automobile being the predominant mode of transportation.

We just tore down one of the most significant applications of this approach.

One could make the case (a bit tongue in cheek) for preserving the old interchange as a heritage asset. I am not arguing for that......but in some ways the Six Points interchange was the roadway equivalent of the Bush trainshed at Union Station. We made the right decision to rebuild Six Points, but you get my point. (Maybe when we are down to a single final cloverleaf, we will preserve it as a heritage place ;-) )

Talking “war on the car” is a political gift to those with a less progressive agenda. Holier-than-thou is what killed previous advocates for change.... David Miller's regime is a good example. Jennifer Keesmatt, for all her good ideas, often falls into this trap as well.

What we need is to be providing constructive ideas on how to incrementally reshape suburbia, recognizing that we can't do it all at once and we should not unreasonably penalize people whose travel needs remain tied to the automobile. There will be plenty of cars around long after we are gone. Don't poke the bear.

- Paul

That's a good point, Paul. There is absolutely no reason why cycle, vehicular, and mass transit can't coexist. I lived in that area for many years and even though I am out of the area now, I still use all three modes of transportation depending on my mission for any particular trip. The sad part is that within the next six months, I will likely need to get a second car because I can't make Mississauga transit work for me to get to work in a time or cost effective manner. It's a bit of a paradox that I can travel further on GO transit for less time than miWay locally.

It would be great to get photo updates from adjacent towers both this evening before light's gone from the sky (gotta love Daylight Savings Time!) and tomorrow once Kipling has reopened. Thanks to @Datumn and @BjamesT for the overheads and @BB ON for the shots from the live site so far!!

Last of the spans falling:

What Paul said and fanatic's constant paeans are getting irritatingly repetitive.

I admit I had / have my doubts about this, but I have to say that so far, the result actually looks good, at least visually speaking.

I'm still not sold on how Dundas got reconfigured though. Bloor and Kipling are fine though.

Back