News   Jul 15, 2024
 337     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Because it would take an order or magnitude (if not more) of time to carefully demolish the bridge by taking care not to damage the girders. As it is, they just let the Hoe Rams go wild and pulverize the bridge. The rubble does get sorted and the spaghetti of rebar and the girders do get sent to recycling.
To preserve the girders, the concrete deck needs to be removed by saw cutting (careful not to nick the girder). Remember the girder has shear studs to connect the concrete deck to the girder, so the portion above the girder has to be chipped out by hand. Then removal of the girders has to be done by crane (which has costs and time to set up). Not in this case, but often the girders are too long and need temporary support during the de-erection process. Finally, few Owners would want to build a new bridge, and specify used girders. Even though not visible, I am sure there is rust at the girder ends (which could be chopped off and made shorter). There is also likely some rust at the interface between the deck and girder (de-icing salts and chlorides have likely seeped through the concrete deck), and along the bottom flange (where bird droppings trap precipitation and condensation and promote corrosion).

So if you were building a new bridge of similar size, the bridge would cost about $5,000 per m2 (of deck area). The structural steel is maybe $500 /m2. Would you specify used girders to save maybe $200**/m2 (there still a lot of effort required to move the girders, store them, reconfigure them, sandblast and coat, etc.)?

** - if we add the cost of taking great care in demolishing the bridge - it would cost more to re-use the girder.

It would also be next to impossible that a new bridge/road would be designed with the exact same span (length) and skew angle of the bridge itself. And then factor in calculating the dead & live loads of the structure itself to accommodate already built girders.

The closure of Kipling certainly had no effect on East-West traffic anyway....

Actually, thinking about it, it probably made it better because they could just let Dundas flow across Kipling without any red lights...

Traffic is still coming from the south on Kipling, so they would have a green phase.

This morning was probably the fastest day yet getting through here. MiWay #76 westbound from Islington Station along Bloor and the new Dundas. Possibly even faster than before.

Waiting at Dixie now for a couple of minutes because we probably got ahead of schedule.

Actually, thinking about it, it probably made it better because they could just let Dundas flow across Kipling without any red lights...

Well that sounds great. I thought there would with the extra traffic lights that it would be longer. Was wrong I I guess

It would be great to get photo updates from adjacent towers both this evening before light's gone from the sky (gotta love Daylight Savings Time!) and tomorrow once Kipling has reopened. Thanks to @Datumn and @BjamesT for the overheads and @BB ON for the shots from the live site so far!!

This morning was probably the fastest day yet getting through here. MiWay #76 westbound from Islington Station along Bloor and the new Dundas. Possibly even faster than before.

Waiting at Dixie now for a couple of minutes because we probably got ahead of schedule.

Actually, people still travel NB on Kipling, and some of those people still need to head WB on Dundas (left turn), so the signals have been handling that.

I find it hilarious that so many people (don't know if this applies to you) were all "oh my god this is literally the worst. We are all going to just live in traffic forever" after literally one day. Then 2 weeks in to the new config (which BTW was HEAVILY researched and planned over DECADES), and it's "hey, it's ok."

Actually, people still travel NB on Kipling, and some of those people still need to head WB on Dundas (left turn), so the signals have been handling that.

I find it hilarious that so many people (don't know if this applies to you) were all "oh my god this is literally the worst. We are all going to just live in traffic forever" after literally one day. Then 2 weeks in to the new config (which BTW was HEAVILY researched and planned over DECADES), and it's "hey, it's ok."

I've always been a supporter of this project, starting from when I lived right nearby. I knew it would be a shit-show at first when the real traffic re-routing would start (and it was), and was concerned it would REALLY mess with my transit commute, especially because there aren't really any other good/fast ways around it. I'm kind of surprised at how quickly the worst of it went away. Looking forward to cycling through here sometime again too.

Regarding bike paths...I just purchased a new bike to make use of the soon to be open bike path network at the new Six Points since I live right beside it.

What I would like to know, what is a good bike path network that is close to six points? I prefer the shortest connecting distance since car bike collisions do not always turn out nice.

lol no driving on Dundas between Aukland and Cloverdale for me.

Thanks

Late breaking news...

At 5 p.m., Monday March 11, Kipling Avenue between Dundas St W and Bloor St W will reopen to vehicular traffic, one lane in each direction – 12 hours ahead of schedule.

Pedestrian access will remain closed on Kipling Avenue between Dundas St W and Bloor St W until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12. When pedestrian access is reopened on Tuesday, there will be a temporary sidewalk on the west side of Kipling Avenue.

What to expect when travelling:
Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets. Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. City Staff are continuing to monitor road conditions as vehicles and pedestrians adjust to the new road configuration.

Please refer to Construction Update 8 for information regarding ongoing construction works and alternate travel route suggestions.

Regarding bike paths...I just purchased a new bike to make use of the soon to be open bike path network at the new Six Points since I live right beside it.

What I would like to know, what is a good bike path network that is close to six points? I prefer the shortest connecting distance since car bike collisions do not always turn out nice.

Thanks

I've always been a supporter of this project, starting from when I lived right nearby. I knew it would be a shit-show at first when the real traffic re-routing would start (and it was), and was concerned it would REALLY mess with my transit commute, especially because there aren't really any other good/fast ways around it. I'm kind of surprised at how quickly the worst of it went away. Looking forward to cycling through here sometime again too.
Great, like I said I couldn't tell if the doomsday attitude applied to you, but your post made me think of it (there are others of the ilk which are much more gloomy).

Yeah, like how great will it be to be able to walk to St James Gate from Essex condos without constant palpitations?

Thanks

If you want to go east, Van Dusen is a great little street. Then jog south to Glenaden. It connects to the Humber River trails. North of you Mimico creek has some good trails (west of Kipling)...best way to get on them is Echo Valley. But either way the first few blocks are difficult...you may have to walk 10 minutes to get to a decent side street.

Back