News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 621     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I was going to post this over a week ago, but got side track.

The new road will open once Guilds gets the traffic lights up at Bloor and Dundas intersection. They were installing lights at the no name intersection and looks like there was a Bloor centre light on DunBloor Rd. Only can see this in the daylight and saw it as I was running late. Can't see it in the dark when I pass the area.

Traffic sign up for 2 through lanes and right turn at Kipling. The south side sidewalk is built to the point some of the fencing is gone on Dundas, east of the driveway, but still in place for the walkway from Bloor to Dundas.

You never know, but may open in Feb/March/April, but for sure by April.

I was going to post this over a week ago, but got side track.

The new road will open once Guilds gets the traffic lights up at Bloor and Dundas intersection. They were installing lights at the no name intersection and looks like there was a Bloor centre light on DunBloor Rd. Only can see this in the daylight and saw it as I was running late. Can't see it in the dark when I pass the area.

Traffic sign up for 2 through lanes and right turn at Kipling. The south side sidewalk is built to the point some of the fencing is gone on Dundas, east of the driveway, but still in place for the walkway from Bloor to Dundas.

You never know, but may open in Feb/March/April, but for sure by April.

This project just gets more interesting by the passing day. I feel like was a good idea to get rid of the 1950s style interchanges in the area, we need those all gone now..

This evening the Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration project had its first test.

The City turned on the street lights on one side of the soon to be opened Dundas section. Based on my observations it passed a coverage test in that the lights lit up the area its intended for with no issues or problems. I have seen many trucks going to and fro the last week and I can safely assume that they were getting ready to test a partial lighting of Dundas.

I guess they are doing these tests because as per the recent press releases they want to have a partial opening of the interchange in early 2019 and they are trying to stay on schedule to meet their deadline. However, with these type of construction projects there are always delays of some type. Must also factor in the weather and all the snow and ice storms we've had the last while.

This evening the Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration project had its first test.

The City turned on the street lights on one side of the soon to be opened Dundas section. Based on my observations it passed a coverage test in that the lights lit up the area its intended for with no issues or problems. I have seen many trucks going to and fro the last week and I can safely assume that they were getting ready to test a partial lighting of Dundas.

I guess they are doing these tests because as per the recent press releases they want to have a partial opening of the interchange in early 2019 and they are trying to stay on schedule to meet their deadline. However, with these type of construction projects there are always delays of some type. Must also factor in the weather and all the snow and ice storms we've had the last while.

Well, they are a BIT behind scedule because of the weather, I can't to see the new Dundas open!

Bridges close February 24!

Bridges close February 24!

933c-SixPoints-ConstructionUpdate8-Areamap.jpg

All traffic currently using the Bloor/Dundas/Kipling Interchange ramps will be directed to the newly constructed Dundas Street West effective February 24, 2019. Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists please be aware and obey the new traffic movements, signs and signals.

933c-SixPoints-ConstructionUpdate8-Areamap.jpg

All traffic currently using the Bloor/Dundas/Kipling Interchange ramps will be directed to the newly constructed Dundas Street West effective February 24, 2019. Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists please be aware and obey the new traffic movements, signs and signals.

Here's to the end of 1950's highway interchanges!

It's not like the 6 lane suburban arterial intersections will be much better. Poor lighting at pedestrian crossings and no curb extensions to slow down turning cars mean the area will remain fairly inhospitable.

Unfortunately there's another one just down the road by Dundas/Royal York.

It’s benign - given the hill and the need for grade separation from rail, there isn’t much to improve on, and it’s not hard to walk through that one.

But maybe it deserves a heritage designation so we know it’s from the past ;-)

- Paul

Some of the routing suggestions:

Motorists travelling east on Bloor Street West, west of Kipling Avenue can:
  • Travel north or south on Kipling Avenue
Motorists travelling north and south on Kipling Avenue can:
  • Travel west on Bloor Street West
New:
  • The ramps from Kipling northbound to Dundas West will be closed.
Motorists travelling north on Kipling Avenue can:
  • Travel east or west by turning onto the new Dundas Street West
Motorists travelling south on Kipling Avenue can:
  • Travel east or west by turning onto the new Dundas Street West, or travel west by turning at Bloor Street West
Motorists travelling east or west on the new Dundas Street West can:
  • Travel north or south by turning onto Kipling Avenue
New:
  • Signalized intersection at Dundas Street and Kipling Avenue.
    • Kipling Avenue West bus ramp from Viking/St. Albans to southbound Kipling Avenue and southbound Kipling to Viking/St. Albans will be opened.
Temporary:
  • Motorists can access Beamish Drive via Bloor Street West but NOT Dundas Street West.
    • Access from St. Albans and Dundas Street to Roads A and B will be closed.
Motorists travelling on new/existing Dundas Street West can:
  • Travel east on Dundas Street West via Dunbloor Road
    • Travel east on Bloor Street West
    • Travel south on Dunbloor Road to Bloor Street AND continue south on the new Dundas Street West to access Kipling Avenue
    • Access northbound Kipling via the Dundas-Kipling ramp
Motorists travelling on Dunbloor Road can:
  • Travel east or southwest on Dundas Street West
    • Travel east on Bloor Street West
Motorists travelling on Bloor Street West can:
  • Travel north on Dunbloor Road and continue east on Dundas Street West
    • Travel south on Dundas Street West and re-join Bloor Street West via Aukland Road
Closed:
  • The Dundas and Bloor Street bridges over Kipling Avenue
    • The northbound Kipling Avenue to Dundas Street ramps
Temporary:
  • Dunbloor Road will have one lane of traffic open in each direction.
    • Separated bike lanes remain closed until all streetscape improvements are (completed)

It’s benign - given the hill and the need for grade separation from rail, there isn’t much to improve on, and it’s not hard to walk through that one.

But maybe it deserves a heritage designation so we know it’s from the past ;-)

- Paul

Except the only difference with that one is that, well, the Six Points was like highway interchanges and sprawling bridges. This one, does not have six streets meeting at one point, so....

Out of interest but also to have a historical record of the Six points interchange pre and post change over, is anyone going to take videos and pictures of the live traffic flow before the lane closures on February 24?

It would be great if we could compare the old traffic flow with the final completion of the interchange in 2020/2021 to show how forward thinking and how progress was made by the City of Toronto to improve the quality of life of current and future residents.

I know some may disagree with this statement and people like to criticize any city led initiative to make our city more functional but I have to give the city decision makers credit for purchasing the Westwood land many years ago and taking the next step in city planning when the time was right.

Out of interest but also to have a historical record of the Six points interchange pre and post change over, is anyone going to take videos and pictures of the live traffic flow before the lane closures on February 24?

It would be great if we could compare the old traffic flow with the final completion of the interchange in 2020/2021 to show how forward thinking and how progress was made by the City of Toronto to improve the quality of life of current and future residents.

I know some may disagree with this statement and people like to criticize any city led initiative to make our city more functional but I have to give the city decision makers credit for purchasing the Westwood land many years ago and taking the next step in city planning when the time was right.

And, it was foward thinking. No longer will people have to drive across 1950s bridges and interchanges everyday, instead, Six Points gets the at-grade treatment to make roads in the area safer. It is great the City thought of this, why it couldn't be done years ago is beyond me...

Back