News   Jun 07, 2024
 343     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 357     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

The Gardiner ramps are mostly going to be reconfigured over the next few years so that the only real remaining slip ramp is the Spadina on ramp.

The Gardiner isn't the most pedestrian friendly thing, no. But it serves a pretty important function. It's gotta be modernized to make it a bit more pedestrian friendly, but I don't think it's ever going to be a pedestrian paradise. And to me that's OK.

But to drive it on a Sunday morning or a late evening? It's fun. So is the DVP when traffic is moving well, especially south of Don Mills Road.

I'll raise you - I drove on the Gardiner eastbound and DVP northbound last Sunday and evening, beat that! In my wilder moments, I fantasize about a semi-express LRT replacing the Gardiner from DVP to 427.

I'll raise you - I drove on the Gardiner eastbound and DVP northbound last Sunday and evening, beat that! In my wilder moments, I fantasize about a semi-express LRT replacing the Gardiner from DVP to 427.

An LRT replacing the Gardiner would be great, but, if we could just get people used to using more sustainable and environmentally friendly forms of transit. The drivers/Ford supporters, as I always say in every thread, will rebel against this..

Agreed. The Gardiner isn't just a bit unpleasant to walk under, it's also dangerous because of all the on and off ramps (where pedestrians - who clearly don't count - are instructed to "wait for gap") and the impatient drivers. University Avenue is another traffic sewer, but at least its much more pleasant to cross.

But to drive it on a Sunday morning or a late evening? It's fun. So is the DVP when traffic is moving well, especially south of Don Mills Road.

I have notice this when on streets that crisscross the Gardiner, pedestrians have a while to wait before the lights change. How does this relate to the thread ? Well, at the Six Points it has been like that for years, as well.

Well, I am a driver and support better transit. Generalizing doesn't do any of us any favours...

I do agree with your statement. Some people are stuck in your shoes, but, while in the Six Points area you have the subway, and many bus routes, this isn't like this everywhere.

According to City website:

Viking Lane Ramps – The southbound Kipling/Viking Lane-Albans Ramp W and the Viking Lane-Albans Ramp W/Kipling southbound ramp will be reopened as of Friday December 21, 2018.

From: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...e-projects/etobicokecentre/news-construction/
I'd say that ramp is already open, albeit illegally. I've seen drivers literally get out of their cars and move the construction pillions out of the way just so they can use the ramp.

Some of the things I see in Toronto just never cease to amaze me.

I'd say that ramp is already open, albeit illegally. I've seen drivers literally get out of their cars and move the construction pillions out of the way just so they can use the ramp.

Some of the things I see in Toronto just never cease to amaze me.

Okay, so you're telling me, they actually do that. We as an city are doomed.

Okay, so you're telling me, they actually do that. We as an city are doomed.
Yes, I've seen it myself. I also watched drivers from the Essex condo move pylons on Dundas so they could turn left out of the driveway - which, as it happens, wasn't permitted before this project. Now those pylons are all strung together so no left turns.

But actually what I think they're waiting for to open that ramp is the streetlights - it's a pretty dark turn/merge. They're all installed it seems, just need to be powered up. That's my guess.

Crews were pouring concrete for the sidewalk for the ramp and the west side sidewalk for Kipling. Otherwise, everything still close and buses still on detour.

But actually what I think they're waiting for to open that ramp is the streetlights - it's a pretty dark turn/merge. They're all installed it seems, just need to be powered up. That's my guess.
At the time I was seeing all of the aformentioned stupid behaviour, there was a final layer of ashphalt that needed to be laid down before the ramp would be officially ready.

At the time I was seeing all of the aformentioned stupid behaviour, there was a final layer of ashphalt that needed to be laid down before the ramp would be officially ready.
Not going to happen anytime soon until everything is complete.

Yes, I've seen it myself. I also watched drivers from the Essex condo move pylons on Dundas so they could turn left out of the driveway - which, as it happens, wasn't permitted before this project. Now those pylons are all strung together so no left turns.

Damn. That's crazy, this is like, a problem. Where are the police ?

Back