News   Jul 16, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 420     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

There's nothing ironic about it. Obviously traditional gardens have heir place, but natural, native vegetation can look great in an urban context. It does have environmental benefits along waterways, especially for water quality, erosion, and flooding.

On highways I just don't see the point of mowing lawns. In parks where people actually use the grass sure, but on highway medians it doesn't make any sense.

I like a nicely kept highway median if it is relatively narrow or in an urban area. Unkept or unmowed medians look like ugly ditches to me. As for the environmental argument, studies have shown that mowed grass has better structure and isn't matted down by heavy rains, thus slowing down the flow of storm water. To each his own I guess.

I like a nicely kept highway median if it is relatively narrow or in an urban area. Unkept or unmowed medians look like ugly ditches to me. As for the environmental argument, studies have shown that mowed grass has better structure and isn't matted down by heavy rains, thus slowing down the flow of storm water. To each his own I guess.

Are they comparing mowed grass to unkept grass or mowed grass to some other form of vegetation? There are grasses that can grow fairly tall and better withstand mother nature than any form of lawn grass would.

For examples cattails are native, and are accustomed to wet semi flooded environments and often grow to 4 feet. Would these not be better lawn grass?

Is there some site that clearly states what Hudacks plans would be if elected, or is it just piece meal articles from various sources ?

I'm curious, or better put, very concerned they could win and get the NDP to back them on various agendas, so I won't to know what we're in for : - )

When it comes to highway median aesthetics, to each their own I suppose. When did we decide that grass kept a few inches high looks nicer than nature the way it wants to grow? Personally I think this looks a lot nicer than this, but that's just me.

Are they comparing mowed grass to unkept grass or mowed grass to some other form of vegetation? There are grasses that can grow fairly tall and better withstand mother nature than any form of lawn grass would.

For examples cattails are native, and are accustomed to wet semi flooded environments and often grow to 4 feet. Would these not be better lawn grass?
Yeah I'm not really convinced that manicured grass is better than natural vegetation. It would be interesting to see those studies. Naturalizing shorelines is a policy followed by every government and conservation authority that I know of. It allows for a variety of native species rather than a just grass, stabilizes the shoreline, improves the health of the waterway, slows down stormwater, and keeps those damn Canada geese away.

T
When it comes to highway median aesthetics, to each their own I suppose. When did we decide that grass kept a few inches high looks nicer than nature the way it wants to grow? Personally I think this looks a lot nicer than this, but that's just me.

Yeah I'm not really convinced that manicured grass is better than natural vegetation. It would be interesting to see those studies. Naturalizing shorelines is a policy followed by every government and conservation authority that I know of. It allows for a variety of native species rather than a just grass, stabilizes the shoreline, improves the health of the waterway, slows down stormwater, and keeps those damn Canada geese away.

Totally agree. Medians, and even the space between highway off/on ramp (in particular the 270 degree loop ramps) are un tapped places for naturalization, and greening of our environment. Planting full on stands of pine trees or Maples might not work given the danger of a high speed vehicle swerving off the road and hitting a tree, but tall grasses absolutely yes... They would also provide a wind buffer from the vehicles whooshing by and would partially block the headlights of traffic travelling in the opposite, which can be a distraction.

Last edited:
Hedgerows or some other low rise vegetation would block oncoming headlights, provide a softer barrier were a car to slide into it and likely would not have as extensive a root system as a tall tree would. The question is what species to select that could handle the salt runoff and not require a lot of maintenance. Not as much of a problem in this area as Ireland gets maybe 5in of snow annually.
640px-Glanmire_Bypass_looking_south.JPG

I'm sure we could do that without too much trouble. The Czech Republic uses something similar, and they have a climate a lot like ours with plenty of snow. That kind of headlight shield isn't very common though, most countries just use a narrow barrier or a ditch. I've never found oncoming headlights particularly distracting when driving.

T

Totally agree. Medians, and even the space between highway off/on ramp (in particular the 270 degree loop ramps) are un tapped places for naturalization,

Totally disagree. Not everything needs to be naturalized, and most people don't like it. And yes, it is ironic that city people, living in the most inherently unnatural environments, are fans of this.

Totally disagree. Not everything needs to be naturalized, and most people don't like it. And yes, it is ironic that city people, living in the most inherently unnatural environments, are fans of this.

You may not like it but that doesn't mean most people don't. I like healthier waterways and reduced stormwater management costs, personally.

City people generally live a more environmentally sustainable lifestyle, using fewer resources, burning less greenhouse gas, and having a smaller ecological footprint than their suburban and rural cousins. That they tend to support naturalization of shorelines should surprise nobody.

Looks like the widening of the 427 to accommodate HOV lanes between the 409 and 407 has been prioritized. The contract (2014-2016) is out to tender on RAQS and will be closing soon. Tender info can be found here: http://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bulletin/contractView.jsf?id=24855602

Does anyone know if they plan on converting an existing lane south of the 409 to an HOV lane?

Doubt it. The MTO seems to not want to convert any existing traffic lane to HOV. Any HOV lanes will be added only through highway widenings. The MTO for years resisted paving shoulders of non-400 series highways, which would have been useful for cyclists.

A regular traffic lane on Highway 417 in Ottawa (leftmost WB lane from 416 to Eagleson) is scheduled to be converted to an HOV lane sometime this year.

A regular traffic lane on Highway 417 in Ottawa (leftmost WB lane from 416 to Eagleson) is scheduled to be converted to an HOV lane sometime this year.

That's a bit of an exception though, because it was planned as an HOV lane from Day 1, it was just never painted as such because of the highway going from 4 lanes to 2 so quickly (at Eagleson). Having 3 general traffic lanes merging into one and having the HOV lane become the inner lane would have been a nightmare, so it was kept as a general traffic lane. You can see that the lane markings for the left lane have the extra metre or so in width built in to accommodate the HOV painted separation. Once Phase 2 of the widening opens, I suspect you'll see that lane become HOV.

... they did it for the 404. Going northbound general traffic through lanes briefly drop to 2, right when the HOV lane converts to general purpose. (or at least so close to each other it in effect acts like that at 120km/h)

edit: looked it up, HOV changes to general purpose 90 meters before inner lane starts to show thicker line markers to indicate merging..

Last edited:
... they did it for the 404. Going northbound general traffic through lanes briefly drop to 2, right when the HOV lane converts to general purpose. (or at least so close to each other it in effect acts like that at 120km/h)

edit: looked it up, HOV changes to general purpose 90 meters before inner lane starts to show thicker line markers to indicate merging..

Makes sense. Generally you want to avoid an HOV lane ending at the same time as a reduction in lanes. This is exactly the problem on the QEW WB at Brant St, where the HOV lane ends and the right lane exists at Brant, creating a messy weave for most drivers.

Back