News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

We will likely only have tolls when all cars have enough technology to record a vehicles travel (distance traveled, where traveled, when traveled) is fully recorded and tolls can be paid by all. This will likely also only happens when enough people have electric vehicles and these "elites" are avoiding paying their fare share of road taxes through gasoline.

No privacy concerns there.

Speaking of buses on the 401. Is there any way to add a dedicated ROW for buses (not HOV lanes) through the corridor? Or would be very costly and require removal of lanes?

Likely not continuous without consuming existing lanes. There are many sections where there are no longer shoulders, particularly on left hand medians.

No privacy concerns there.

People happily share that information now with some insurance companies to get a discount on their policies....they share that information with the 407 company....people will weigh the privacy concerns, but if there is something in it for them, a lot of them will happily share.

People happily share that information now with some insurance companies to get a discount on their policies....they share that information with the 407 company....people will weigh the privacy concerns, but if there is something in it for them, a lot of them will happily share.

True in the sense of parameters such as when and distance, as well as factors such as speed, braking, etc. I'm not aware of any corporate or government entity tracking the 'where' part. You are quite correct that many people share their information under some insurance policies. Also, how many people, who should really know better, share reams of person information on platforms such as Facebook without any filters or restrictions.

It might be fairer (more fair?) but hugely complex.

True in the sense of parameters such as when and distance, as well as factors such as speed, braking, etc. I'm not aware of any corporate or government entity tracking the 'where' part. You are quite correct that many people share their information under some insurance policies. Also, how many people, who should really know better, share reams of person information on platforms such as Facebook without any filters or restrictions.

It might be fairer (more fair?) but hugely complex.
The 407 tracks where you get on the highway, at what time and in which vehicle.....then tracks where and when you get off and makes that information available to you in a statement every month!

The 407 tracks where you get on the highway, at what time and in which vehicle.....then tracks where and when you get off and makes that information available to you in a statement every month!

Okay, perhaps I misunderstood. I interpreted the proposal as tolls on all roads; an all-encompassing user pay system as opposed to the current system. Hence my privacy concern of tracking the complete trips of all travel. If it is envisioned for just 'major freeways', then you are, of course, correct, as they are only snippets of everyone's journey.

Okay, perhaps I misunderstood. I interpreted the proposal as tolls on all roads; an all-encompassing user pay system as opposed to the current system. Hence my privacy concern of tracking the complete trips of all travel. If it is envisioned for just 'major freeways', then you are, of course, correct, as they are only snippets of everyone's journey.
No I think you understood @BurlOak correctly.....they were envisioning full tracking of vehicle travel......I just think you are wrong that people will resist on privacy concerns.....if there is a personal benefit (convenience or time or cost) people will trade privacy for that benefit.....insurance trackers, 407 transmitters, Facebook are examples of how easy that trade off is made.

No I think you understood @BurlOak correctly.....they were envisioning full tracking of vehicle travel......I just think you are wrong that people will resist on privacy concerns.....if there is a personal benefit (convenience or time or cost) people will trade privacy for that benefit.....insurance trackers, 407 transmitters, Facebook are examples of how easy that trade off is made.

Perhaps.

Likely more applicable to urban environments (which admittedly is what this forum is all about).

Tolls + fuel taxes?

Ya gotta know that if/when electric vehicles take off in a significant way - resulting in reduced fossil fuel consumption - there will be pressure to replace the lost tax revenue. How that would happen is anybody's guess.

Ya gotta know that if/when electric vehicles take off in a significant way - resulting in reduced fossil fuel consumption - there will be pressure to replace the lost tax revenue. How that would happen is anybody's guess.

In the big picture it's not a lot of money. The gasoline tax only makes up 1% of the federal budget and 2% of the provincial budget.

The 404 South DVP South via 401 East ramp is closed. Anyone know if this is just temporary?
11592E9F-8AB7-411E-A036-0CB4EB7C6481.jpeg
094ED779-5333-4D99-A539-91A9493121F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 11592E9F-8AB7-411E-A036-0CB4EB7C6481.jpeg
    11592E9F-8AB7-411E-A036-0CB4EB7C6481.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 654
  • 094ED779-5333-4D99-A539-91A9493121F9.jpeg
    094ED779-5333-4D99-A539-91A9493121F9.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 643
Google Maps says the closure is until November 30.

A truck caught fire on the 407 today, detouring my GO bus. Is it just me or are trucks catching fire too often on our highways?

OPP are saying a vehicle left the westbound lanes and collided with vehicles travelling eastbound. Across the median?

Back