News   Apr 29, 2024
 49     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 756     0 

Roads: Keep the Gardiner, fix it, or get rid of it? (2005-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic article Unimaginative, thanks for posting. I really have to get a copy of Concrete Toronto for myself, I've heard nothing but good things!

As for the Gardiner, I expressed my feelings in the CityPlace Panorama thread - it will probably get moved here as it pertains more to this topic.

they really need to just slow down lakeshore with some rightious red lights and perhaps even narrowing. it's such a nightmare to cross it simply cuz it's like crossing a highway... doesn't feel like a city street downtown. they already have gardiner to cross east-west so fast, i suppose they really can 'localize' lakeshore. don't think we need to do anything fancy like retail under the gardiner.. but perhaps somehow routing a streetcar line (by replacing the left lane of each direction of lakeshore perhaps) and you already got it more pedestrian-friendly.

During my recent visit to Toronto I did notice that certain parts of the rusty guard rails on the expressway have been removed and are being replaced with concrete barriers. It sure looks nice. The rusting guard rails are an eyesore.

Are there plans to remove them across the expressway or just a few sections ?

I believe that all of the old barriers will eventually be replaced with what's called 'Ontario Tall Wall'. OTW is, if I am not mistaken, a 1 foot higher version of the New Jersey pioneered 'Jersey Barrier', which is now being copied in more and more jurisdictions for its safety features.

I think the tall concrete walls prevent the raccoons, coyotes, deer, beaver, chickens, geese, etc. from crossing the road. They're too much of a barrier for them.

More road kill anyone?

It's not like their chances of crossing successfully were that much better before the new barrier. After all, there are several more busy lanes of traffic beyond the median on any given 400 series highway.

I think the tall concrete walls prevent the raccoons, coyotes, deer, beaver, chickens, geese, etc. from crossing the road. They're too much of a barrier for them.

More road kill anyone?

Definitely will prevent lis(es) from crossing ...

:eek:

Hey, I got a fun money-saving idea. Just remove the guardrails, period. Don't replace them with anything.

I said, "fun".

For the rest of you, Lis is Polish for Fox, just like Zorro is Spanish for Fox. Now back to my fencing... in my backyard.

fox is also american for shitty news programming.

Waterfront Toronto is currently undertaking an Environmental Assesment on taking down the Gardiner Expressway between Jarvis and the DVP…
http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=4644b9f62b745&third=442ee40e416d7

The project has potential but also carries many risks. This meeting is to form an advocacy group of interested citizens to improve the project as it moves through the EA process. Our first meeting will vote on a group name, determine a list of project goals and plan an interactive web presence. Will also update on WTO's March 12 stakeholder meeting.

First meeting of Gardiner Takedown Advocacy Group
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 7pm (St. Patrick’s Day)
Metro Hall room 303 (southeast corner of John & King)

As Mathew Blackett observed, “could this be a great day in the history of Toronto’s waterfront or just another half-assed, half-baked scheme?â€
http://spacing.ca/wire/2008/05/30/gardiner-to-come-tumbling-down-kind-of/

I don't see these two threads as being the same.....the one you link to seems to be about debating the alternatives and discussing/convincing people of which way we should go.

In this one, green22 seems to have made up their mind and is seeking people to join in his advocacy for taking down the Gardiner.

If his plea/ask for fellow Gardiner opponents was buried in the bigger discussion thread it might be lost/buried.

I happen to disagree with him....but when I first read this thread I was able to recognize that it was not for me and moved on....I think any movement to bury/merge his ask for fellow advocates would be unfair to him. Similarly, we should not hijack this thread into a new debate about the Gardiner...if we want to do that we should go to the thread that Kristopher links above!

Man, it must be time for a week or so off work...I am not usually this nice to people with opposing opinions! ;)

Public Meeting on Term of Referenced for the EA on the Gardiner.

#1 Public Form
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Trident Banquet Hall and Confrence Centre
145 Evans Avenue, Etobicoke
11:00 am to 1:00 pm (Open House)
1:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Presentation)

Monday, March 30, 2009
Scarborough Civic Centre
150 Borough Drive, Scarborough
5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (Open House)
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm (Presentation)

Thursday, April 2, 2009