News   Jul 12, 2024
 876     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 785     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Roads: Keep the Gardiner, fix it, or get rid of it? (2005-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the point Ed? I've advocated cut 'n cover long before the triad started building. Cheap and no disruptions. We missed it. Now what?

That's very much like what Foster proposed in his scheme for the waterfront.

AoD

Now what?

Now we pay big money to do the job. I know you've mentioned it before. I thought the same thing years ago. So my point is we blew it big time.

I am not convinced that this way of dealing with the Gardiner is ideal though - what one'd end up with is basically a graded landform that needed to be bypassed via buildings. The visiblity of the lake from various N-S roadways is all but destroyed in such an event.

AoD

Studies were done years ago by the City to look into burying the Gardiner. I guess the hope was to get more real estate freed up to pay for the cost of burying the thing but part of the problem they found was that ramps down to a below grade freeway would take up as much space as ramps up to the elevated one. Kind of a no brainer.

Personally I don't see why the ramps couldn't be integrated into new buildings, much like most parking ramps are.

^ probably liability issues with freeway ramps under private buildings. Not many developers would want to enter such an agreement that could put them at considerable risk.

New York City's Westway plan has been around since the 70's. It was supposed to have the whole of the West Side Highway in a tunnel under the Hudson. Interesting to see that the are considering implementing a version of it under 22 blocks on the Upper West Side.

I don't get how covering the Gardiner, and creating a huge hill, with tunnels at streets like York, Spadina and Yonge, will get rid of a 'barrier' to the waterfront.

How about knocking the Gardiner down: no hill, no ramps, no barrier.

As for the Railway tracks, City Place is not built on them. The tracks will be addressed at a latter date.

Keep the Gardiner, bury Lakeshore.

QFT

As i've said before, the Gardiner is not a barrier, you can walk right under it. It's the 8 or so lanes of Lakeshore that is the real issue.

THX,

The marshalling yards went 20+ years ago. That is City Place. The existing track can still be built upon, at a latter date. They will be mroe $$$ to build on. As realestate $$$ go up then that option will be more attractive to the city and realestate developers.

It would be very easy to cover the Gardiner and the rail corridor at Jameson from the CNE to Roncesvales. It could return Parkdale's connection to the lake and help bring the neighbourhood back to it's former glory.

I agree completely. Burying the Gardiner would accomplish nothing. If tunneling an underground freeway costs too much I say build another freeway on top of the existing Gardiner. As it currently stands, it does not create a barrier between the city and the lake. The real problem is trying to cross lakeshore. I predict that through the downtown core the Gardiner will be surrounded by condos and offices creating a 'canyon' effect and will not be such an eyesore.
Now what to do about those railway tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back