News   Jul 12, 2024
 887     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

Roads: Keep the Gardiner, fix it, or get rid of it? (2005-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, no Torontonian would ever want to go south on Islington.

What makes you say that? Currently Westbound traffic access's Southbound Islington via St Lawrence Ave and The Queensway, the plan has a direct ramp to Islington with the option of turning North or South. This is an improvement no? Eastbound traffic already has access to Southbound Islington and that won't change in the plan.

The Gardiner Expressway between the Humber River and Highway 427 used to be the Queen Elizabeth Way. It was transferred from Ontario to the City of Toronto’s jurisdiction in 1997.

And the #1 improvement to me would be for the name "Queen Elizabeth Way" to be reinstated upon this stretch.

Historical accuracy, you dunderhead.

I admit I'm a sucker for the old highway numeric/naming system (before the 1998 provincial government downloaded all those highways to the municipalities...), so if this goes through I'll be slightly pleased.

Historical accuracy, you dunderhead.

Somehow this doesn't phase me. I'd much rather they brought back a unified road numbering system for the province, even if the roads aren't owned by the Province anymore (Highway 10, Highway 5, etc). But even that I won't lose sleep over. No one calls Hurontario Highway 10 anymore anyway.

Somehow this doesn't phase me. I'd much rather they brought back a unified road numbering system for the province, even if the roads aren't owned by the Province anymore (Highway 10, Highway 5, etc). But even that I won't lose sleep over. No one calls Hurontario Highway 10 anymore anyway.

Further, this Ontario thing sucks - Upper Canada / Hudon's Bay Company Land we should start calling ourselves - for some historical accuracy.

No one calls him the lieutenant-governor versus leftenant-governor but I suppose that doesn't phase you much either.

No one calls him the lieutenant-governor versus leftenant-governor but I suppose that doesn't phase you much either.

I've only ever heard the term lieutenant governor used in a Canadian context, so I'm used to hearing leftenant governor.

That said, hearing "leftenant" on its own (e.g. in a military context) just sounds wrong to me. Blame it on Star Trek if you like. It was far more important in my formative years than the CBC. I don't think I could bring myself to pronounce it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back