News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 601     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

They were flying before winter, and in the last two weeks, there have been signs of things starting to ramp up again. Hopefully they'll be back to their frantic pace we saw last year.

While on a GO bus heading to and from Waterloo region, I filmed the 401 widening project from Highway 407 to Regional Road 25 and another section through Cambridge:

407 to Regional Road 25:
Regional Road 25 to 407:
Townline Road to Hespeler Road:

April 20
Surprise how little traffic was in both the collectors and express lanes going west at Mavis that it was a quick trip to get over the Credit River and wide open there after. Eastbound was moving very slow from the Credit River to the 407.

Forming in place for the beam support for the express bridge over the Credit River and saw no supports for the Orangeville line as well CN Halton Sub. Deck pour for Sixteen Mile Creek bridge with some forming for the barrier walls.

Light Mast going up between Sixth and Frith Line.

Grading taking place going west of the 407.

April 21
First time in a long time I had to use the full eastbound section and surprise there are 3 lanes of traffic now that was only doing at best at time 45 km from west of the 407 to the Mississauga Rd northbound on ramp where it went to full speed limit.

The various piles of dirt and concrete being crush into gravel that was being stock pile and moved to various locations. Lots of storm water trunk line being install
Credit River
52022971756_6fd8802a13_b.jpg

Orangeville Line
52021929947_c281987aa5_b.jpg

52023004323_21ffb5fdca_b.jpg

52023481845_398cb9a320_b.jpg

52021930197_a0d9ca1dbe_b.jpg

Sixteen Mile
52023482015_1b8369e89f_b.jpg

52023216769_e508d4d4de_b.jpg

52023216834_9e017ddc4c_b.jpg

Looks like crews working to remove the old 24 overpass in Cambridge. Still a lot of centre barrier to be pour for the extension.

Grand River Bridge
Looks like the deck is pour with some barrier wall being form. The lanes from the bridge going west ready for base gravel and paving.

Most of the new lanes on the east side almost finish being pave. Should be using the new bridge by the summer to allow the shifting of traffic.
52022990253_76a537fed7_b.jpg

52021915482_e1262c9871_b.jpg

52023466960_ef4744d6b6_b.jpg

52023467080_bdf092d709_b.jpg

52023201969_94d1cd3fc5_b.jpg

52023466635_cd19728979_b.jpg

52023201769_b306c5bee0_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos around the Grand River bridge work @drum118. I live in the area and have been meaning to have my wife take some pictures from the passenger seat (or vice versa when she's driving), but I never remember until we're already driving past it and by then it's too late to get the phone camera going.

FYI: Paving on the west side of the new span was going on there today, and they've reconfigured the eastbound traffic by closing the left lane ahead of the Homer Watson / Fountain Street traffic merge lanes. I think they're trying to push the bottleneck farther up the road since traffic through the area has increased in the past few months as more people return to the office (the right lane used to end just after those merges), but despite that change the eastbound was still an orange zone in Waze when I rolled through at 11:15 this morning.

Anyone know if the east bound 401 past conestoga college and coming up to the King st exit are they going to be building a flyover for people wanting to get onto the Kitchener highway 7/8.

Anyone know if the east bound 401 past conestoga college and coming up to the King st exit are they going to be building a flyover for people wanting to get onto the Kitchener highway 7/8.

There were plans for that a long time ago already (somebody posted them way back in this thread) but nothing on the short term radar. The Grand River bridge work they're doing now is a pre-requisite for it though, so we'll have to wait a few years for that to complete and then see what the pols of the day are promising.

There were plans for that a long time ago already (somebody posted them way back in this thread) but nothing on the short term radar. The Grand River bridge work they're doing now is a pre-requisite for it though, so we'll have to wait a few years for that to complete and then see what the pols of the day are promising.
MTO completed the environmental assessment about a decade ago as a subdivision was proposed next to the interchange and MTO wanted to make sure they protected the land they needed for the flyovers. I don't think they plan on building them any time soon.

You can see the land that MTO protected from the subdivision here:

Checking the Ontario government's highway programs there is no mention of it... not even in 'upcoming expansion' beyond 2025.

It downright sucks getting to K-W from the West. You gotta go through the 'funhouse' of King Street before accessing Highway 8.

If that road is congested on google maps, I often go all the way to Highway 24, do a U-Turn, and access Highway 8 via 401 WB.

-----

EDIT: The Ontario government did announce improving GO transit service to London in the budget, including track upgrades. For us Londoners, taking a faster train to K-W and using their LRT vs driving via Highway 401/8 could reduce some need for these flyover ramps, but no real details were given. Very vague info, and the PCs won't even approve their own budget until after the next election (and they have to win another majority to ensure it passes in it's current form).

Last edited:
It says that it will be 10 lanes between James Snow Pkwy and RR 25. Does that mean no express/collector in this section?

It's a shame the express/ collectors setup won't be totally seamless from western Mississauga all the way to Pickering. The 401 between the 427 and Weston Rd. is always backed up. Particularly the eastbound lanes. Has there been any talk of converting this stretch of the 401 into a collectors/ express setup?

It's a shame the express/ collectors setup won't be totally seamless from western Mississauga all the way to Pickering. The 401 between the 427 and Weston Rd. is always backed up. Particularly the eastbound lanes. Has there been any talk of converting this stretch of the 401 into a collectors/ express setup?
You can avoid some of that backup by detouring onto Highway 409 and Highway 427 and back onto 401.

Back