News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I think we will see a scenario similar to that of the Mississauga Road interchange widening, with staged construction over an albeit narrowed Hurontario Road across the 401 in the interim, and overnight detours to Kennedy and McLaughlin.

I agree. That's why they needed to rebuild McLaughlin first.

Here's new links to the 401 widening and 401/Hurontario interchange reconstruction :

401 Widening & Hurontario/401 Interchange Complete Drawing

Hurontario/401 Interchange Plan

You can download the high resolution copy by clicking Download on the top left navigation bar after you click one of the links above.

Enjoy! :cool:

(Note, many commuters from Cambridge, Milton, Halton Hills, Meadowvale use this stretch... once it's done, hopefully it's not gridlock).

Last edited:
You can download the high resolution copy by clicking Download on the top left navigation bar after you click one of the links above.
Not apparently without signing your life away.

Someone posted the proper links to these previously I believe. Not sure the point of these pirated versions.

I received these from the MTO. They're public documents.
Just because you received a copy, doesn't give you permission to violate the copyright of the company that created it, by posting it to the Internet.

The company who created the drawings might well give MTO a licence to distribute copies; but it wouldn't give any rights for people who received copies from MTO to further distribute - particularly to a subscription only website!

Just because you received a copy, doesn't give you permission to violate the copyright of the company that created it, by posting it to the Internet.

The company who created the drawings might well give MTO a licence to distribute copies; but it wouldn't give any rights for people who received copies from MTO to further distribute - particularly to a subscription only website!

Sounds like it's that time of month. You've been awful b!tchy today. Did your corn flakes get soggy this morning?

As far as I'm concerned, those plans show the Ontario logo on them, which means our tax dollars paid for them, so yes, it's a frakking public document and I'll make sure I "distribute" it just to piss you off.

As far as I'm concerned, those plans show the Ontario logo on them, which means our tax dollars paid for them, so yes, it's a frakking public document and I'll make sure I "distribute" it just to piss you off.
Go ahead - your not a public figure ... if you want to break the law, that's your choice. But somehow, I don't think candidates for public office should be doing this.

I'm surprised at your bigotry though! I didn't expect to see sexist comments here.

Go ahead - your not a public figure ... if you want to break the law, that's your choice. But somehow, I don't think candidates for public office should be doing this.

I'm surprised at your bigotry though! I didn't expect to see sexist comments here.

LOL. Bigotry? Sexism? Someone definitely pissed in your corn flakes this morning.

Oh and please cite the law that says distributing official Government of Ontario documents is illegal.

Government documents or documents created for the government which are not confidential are public documents. They would be available through the access to information act and publishable by any media organization or citizen which wishes to do so. I can understand frustration that a public document is only available through a subscription website but that doesn't change the fact that the document was created for the province and is not confidential and therefore is public domain. There is nothing about the document which is a trade secret... people will see the end result out their car windows!!

Oh and please cite the law that says distributing official Government of Ontario documents is illegal.
They aren't official Government of Ontario documents. They are documents that the Ontario government hired a consultant to prepare. Copyright normally belongs to the consultant, not the government, unless they signed it away - which does not appear to be the case given the prominent use of their logos on the figure.

If the copyright belonged the Queen's Printer for Ontario (which I don't believe to be the case) it would still be subject to restrictions ... and I'm not quite sure where electronic distribution fits in ... here is the Ministry of Education's policy - http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/copyrigh.html (which I admit is not the best example).

I believe the law in question then, is the federal Copyright Act.

Last edited:
...so it appears from that lovely high def plan I just downloaded that they can build the west (southbound) half of the new Hurontario Strreet bridge first without impacting the existing bridge, then move all of the traffic on to that bridge's 4 lanes, then tear down the existing bridge and replace it with a new four lane northbound bridge.

Why are these new bridges not being built with enough width in the middle to handle a future LTR line?

Why does the plan show a kilometre-and-a-half long HOV lane pair on 401? Not that I'm against the HOV lanes, it's just that the plan shows the line painting ending before the east end of the construction contracts... would they really open HOV lanes that end less than a mile down the road (1.609 km = 1 mile)? And no hint on this plan of building the two missing ramps at 401/403/410?

In regards to future traffic trouble that Andrew is wondering about: there is jam every evening rush hour with westbound traffic backing up from as far east as the 403/410 cutoffs, and that's just going to get moved another kilometre west. All the westbound traffic still has to funnel into 3 lanes by the time it hits Mavis, so little will change.

Except the express/collector system isn't ending at Mavis permanently. The EA they did was to the Credit River. So this must only be the first phase. And the bridge might not take the LRT into consideration because the LRT would just get the middle lanes regardless, the same way it is the rest of Hurontario. Hurontario isn't being widened for the LRT IIRC. So if it loses 2 lanes in all the parts where it's in its own ROW, it makes sense for the bridge to only have 4 lanes in each direction over the 401.

When I was driving home from Etobicoke on Sunday I noticed that in addition to the already started work on the 401, they are doing something at Hurontario. My guess is they'll be doing the Mississauga Rd thing there.

Back