News   Apr 18, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Well done on summarizing the report, @innsertnamehere, it is much appreciated.

Interesting to note that their growth projections ended up being off. Ontario's growth rate was at a major low just before the oil bust, somewhere around 0.75%. The annual growth rate data they would be working with at the time, from 2006-2016, was 0.9% (121,000 new people) on average, so the immediate spike of ~1.25% after the oil bust would have seemed like an outlier. It's now closer to a 1.7% (248,000 new people) annual growth rate, double the average number that they would have been working with. It's important to note that these numbers are for Ontario as a whole, but ultimately, the bulk majority of these people are going to the GTA. Obviously, this could easily change again, but the point stands that demand in the area needs to be met somehow and the report already outlines that transit is not a realistic option for the area right now.

I also want to add that the province adopted the panel’s recommendation of cancelling the highway in exchange for congestion pricing among other measures a mere 7 months after over-ruling Tory’s attempt to toll the DVP and Gardiner.

I interpret this again to be fully political, canceling the highway on advice of implementing measures they had no plans to actually implement. One of the alternatives (lower growth) was already functionally impossible by the release of the report, while another was politically untenable and the third may have been functionally impossible or at least prohibitively expensive.

i.e. – we think the highway should be cancelled because a bunch of environmentalists showed up at public consultations and made a stink, and we should continue to let the GTA grow while we subject ourselves to another decade of “study” while building nothing, following decades of “study” and building nothing.
Thank you. Such an accurate summation.

i.e. – we think the highway should be cancelled because a bunch of environmentalists showed up at public consultations and made a stink, and we should continue to let the GTA grow while we subject ourselves to another decade of “study” while building nothing, following decades of “study” and building nothing.

Not "growth" that s-p-r-a-w-l-s across farmland. We can turn single-use, single-story buildings into multi-use mid-rises (not high-rises). Replace parking lots by infilling of multi-use mid-rises. With GO Trains, bus rapid transit, and light rail, there can be no need for multi-lane expressways. As for the trucks, lower the tolls for trucks to use the 407.

pt 2..

The report concludes that should the GTA West corridor be cancelled, alternates should be pursued including 407 truck lanes (reasonable, if challenging to implement due to the 407ETR contract), congestion pricing (Ha! Good luck!), and lowered growth scenarios (not happening, in fact the opposite is happening).

The studies conclusion is that the highway should be cancelled and the big move to replace it is to simply let less people move to the province. Not sure how that works.

This is detailed further in their conclusion and recommendations:

“First, the Panel concluded that highway expansions and extensions that are completed, planned or under way will provide travel time benefits that are approximately equal to those anticipated from the EA’s recommended new highway corridor.”

Not sure I understand this – the other highway widenings planned provide benefits, yes, but the GTA west provides even greater benefits. The GTA West EA identifies pretty extensive needs illustrating that more interventions are needed than simply widening existing corridors, and these corridor widenings are largely already occurring irrespective of the 413. Later on in the report the panel also states that widening only was not assessed as a separate alternative in the GTA West EA, which is plainly false. You can review the various options, including highway widenings only, here:

The highway widening only alternative is clearly shown on page 26 of the PDF. There are a lot of other, smaller errors in the report as well I’ve noticed with only a quick skim over.

“Second, consistent with provincial policy that requires the optimization of existing infrastructure, the Panel found that congestion pricing as a demand management tool on the existing highway system appears capable of delivering travel time benefits that are equal to or greater than the proposed new GTAW corridor. Using current MTO modelling, the Panel’s forecasts predict travel time savings associated with tolling either Hwy 401 or all GGH multi-lane highways that are, respectively, from three times greater to more than 10 times greater than those of the new GTAW corridor.

The Panel recognizes that these two tolling scenarios will have significant equity implications. More intermediate scenarios, with fewer equity implications, include: a) tolling one lane on all GGH multi-lane highways, or b) tolling only Hwy 401’s express lanes. These scenarios would also provide travel time savings, approximately equal to those anticipated from the new GTAW corridor.”

This is all well and good, but extremely unlikely and not a practical alternative politically. It’ll just never fly and would be unprecedented on a global scale. As the report mentions elsewhere, it also has serious equity issues and wouldn’t produce as much economic benefits as other congestion reduction methods as it will reduce congestion by pricing trips out of existence. I’m not sure that’s as conductive.

“Third, providing truck priority on Hwy 407 through additional highway capacity or subsidy (e.g., trucks would pay no toll) would deliver travel time benefits that are similar to the new GTAW corridor. Such opportunities, however, should be viewed cautiously, given that the Panel did not examine the physical limitations in the right-of-way available in the Hwy 407 corridor, or barriers to expanding Hwy 407 beyond the 10-lane limit specified in the current 407 ETR legislation and agreement. “

This is the most actually practical alternate solution and even then the report cautions it as it hasn’t passed even a basic feasibility test.

“Fourth, alternate land use and growth scenarios appear to impact transportation system performance, including travel time savings. For example, the Panel modeled a scenario with slower growth and more compact land use patterns than those forecast in the Growth Plan (2006), and the scenario resulted in shorter travel times. ….. As noted earlier, forecasts prepared in 2017 by the Ministry of Finance suggest slower population and economic growth in Ontario to 2040. The Panel’s results do not separate the independent effects of slower growth from compact land uses in analyses, but the Panel believes that these findings merit more attention.”

No sh*t, less people living in the GTA will result in less congestion. What a non-answer cop out, and it’s completely contrary to what the GTA has been experiencing for the last 6 years. More compact development can also absolutely help I’m sure, but the way they have assessed it isn’t independent of the slower growth scenario that the 2017 Growth Plan had that has since been reversed in the 2019 Growth Plan.

The report also recommends integrating transportation and land use planning at the provincial level more, as it’s currently largely split into 3 different silos right now (Metrolinx for transit, MTO for highways, and MMAH for land use), which I agree is an appropriate response. This is a good needs identification, though I don’t believe it justifies dropping the 413 plan on it’s own.

And finally, the real money quote of the report is here:

“Through comments received during public consultation and a review of the many forward-looking aspects of our mandate, the Panel believes that there is a better way to address transportation issues in the GTAW, and more broadly across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. The Panel concludes that the bigger picture (i.e., the contribution of transportation projects to broad public policy goals such as mitigating climate change, testing alternatives across modes, and assessing the robustness of actions with respect to uncertainty) can best be addressed through the development of an integrated multi-modal regional transportation plan.”

We can turn single-use, single-story buildings into multi-use mid-rises (not high-rises). Replace parking lots by infilling of multi-use mid-rises. With GO Trains, bus rapid transit, and light rail, there can be no need for multi-lane expressways. As for the trucks, lower the tolls for trucks to use the 407.
Exactly. Planning decisions are not frozen in amber, we can and MUST change our approaches to planning.

Last edited:
Not "growth" that s-p-r-a-w-l-s across farmland. We can turn single-use, single-story buildings into multi-use mid-rises (not high-rises). Replace parking lots by infilling of multi-use mid-rises. With GO Trains, bus rapid transit, and light rail, there can be no need for multi-lane expressways. As for the trucks, lower the tolls for trucks to use the 407.
Perhaps, but the study doesn’t actually evaluate that potential independently. It instead tied it with lower growth projections, which i suspect was required for it to actually achieve the hoped for results.

Doesn't mean it isn't an option.
Exactly. Studies often have more narrow parameters so that the study can produce a concise recommendation, but elected officials can expand from that study when making decisions. There are flaws with all studies, however there is plenty of good data to build off of.

Doesn't mean it isn't an option.
indeed but what it does mean is that the study justifying the cancellation hasn't properly analyzed it as an alternative - meaning the cancellations is in fact not backed by actual study with a researched, potential alternative.

I'm not sure land use changes are as simple and straightforward as people often think too, both politically and from a market perspective. The market can warp in odd ways when demand is different than supply, and demand for houses very much hasn't and isn't going away in the GTA, yet alone the currently near-insatiable demand for industrial land. Thus the need for a proper study of it if that's the route that we think should be taken.

I'm not sure that the study is a good "Base" at all - it has about 1 paragraph dedicated to the low growth and land use change option, and spends most of that paragraph discussing how most of the impacts are from the lower growth component, not the land use change component. It's hard to extrapolate much of anything from that information, yet alone a decision on a multi-billion infrastructure program.

I interpret this again to be fully political, canceling the highway on advice of implementing measures they had no plans to actually implement.
Do you think the PC's numbers are apolitical? Government reports always have to be taken with a grain of salt. The PC's have already admitted to the fact that they did not include projections for induced demand and have predicted that traffic will be diverted away from arterials to the new highway. This has never happed with any other highway. The general literature on highways, traffic and land use planning is much more informative in my opinion. This highway is not special and should be evaluated with the most up to date science, and not the 1950s metrics that most traffic engineers use.

I'm not sure I need to comment on what you've said about environmentalists. I have stayed away from the environment because I believe this project fails on traffic and city planning merits, but the environmental argument against this is cogent and accurate. If I agreed with you on every point, save the environment, I would have to conclude that this should be cancelled.

At the end of the day, this highway is no different from any other (urban) highway ever built. It will make overall congestion worse. It will add more overall vehicles, rather than divert them from arterials, and it is terrible land use planning. These claims are backed up by the most up to date literature, and it is why most of the "experts" interviewed in the major papers oppose the 413. Highways are important for logistics and inter city travel, they are very bad at improving travel times for commuters and every day drivers, especially in the long term.

Do you think the PC's numbers are apolitical? Government reports always have to be taken with a grain of salt. The PC's have already admitted to the fact that they did not include projections for induced demand and have predicted that traffic will be diverted away from arterials to the new highway. This has never happed with any other highway. The general literature on highways, traffic and land use planning is much more informative in my opinion. This highway is not special and should be evaluated with the most up to date science, and not the 1950s metrics that most traffic engineers use.

I'm not sure I need to comment on what you've said about environmentalists. I have stayed away from the environment because I believe this project fails on traffic and city planning merits, but the environmental argument against this is cogent and accurate. If I agreed with you on every point, save the environment, I would have to conclude that this should be cancelled.

At the end of the day, this highway is no different from any other (urban) highway ever built. It will make overall congestion worse. It will add more overall vehicles, rather than divert them from arterials, and it is terrible land use planning. These claims are backed up by the most up to date literature, and it is why most of the "experts" interviewed in the major papers oppose the 413. Highways are important for logistics and inter city travel, they are very bad at improving travel times for commuters and every day drivers, especially in the long term.
The reports supporting the highway mostly come from the Liberal era. The justification part of the EA was well complete before it was cancelled, Ford's revival has simply moved the actual design of the facility forward.

I get it that most on this board believe the induced demand is this endless pit of potential traffic generation that automatically renders absolutely any roads project automatically pointless, but that's not the case. The reports measuring traffic impacts of the highway are signed by actual traffic engineers and even the professional report I linked that the Liberals used to justify cancelling the highway admitted that the project results in significant travel time savings.

The PC's have already admitted to the fact that they did not include projections for induced demand and have predicted that traffic will be diverted away from arterials to the new highway. This has never happed with any other highway.
Could you expand on what the PCs have admitted to, or provide a source? I am certain that the models used by MTO and its consultants have mode selection as part of the trip generation process and therefore reflect any induced demand. When the model network is modified with a highway like 413, it reassigns any trips that switch from transit or another mode to driving because of the new route. And the model certainly reflects traffic being diverted from other arterials and highways to the new one. Why wouldn't that happen?

The reports supporting the highway mostly come from the Liberal era. The justification part of the EA was well complete before it was cancelled, Ford's revival has simply moved the actual design of the facility forward.

I get it that most on this board believe the induced demand is this endless pit of potential traffic generation that automatically renders absolutely any roads project automatically pointless, but that's not the case. The reports measuring traffic impacts of the highway are signed by actual traffic engineers and even the professional report I linked that the Liberals used to justify cancelling the highway admitted that the project results in significant travel time savings.
I mean, by that logic, every highway ever was supported by traffic engineers so every highway is justified and good. We know this to be false, so I think criticism is fair. Some highways are critical pieces of infrastructure, and some have disastrous impacts. Traffic engineering is also a profession that is coming under increased scrutiny in recent years. Their mandate is to move cars. Not build better cities, or preserve agricultural land, or anything to do with climate, or even real safety. (The way they set speed limits is astonishingly preposterous.) Everything is a nail when your only tool is a hammer. Induced demand is a documented, studied, and factual thing. Not every road is useless, but it's an important factor that, by their own admission, the government hasn't accounted for.

Could you expand on what the PCs have admitted to, or provide a source? I am certain that the models used by MTO and its consultants have mode selection as part of the trip generation process and therefore reflect any induced demand. When the model network is modified with a highway like 413, it reassigns any trips that switch from transit or another mode to driving because of the new route. And the model certainly reflects traffic being diverted from other arterials and highways to the new one. Why wouldn't that happen?

There is a quote from the government two thirds of the way down when asked directly about induced demand.

Traffic will be diverted for the first year or two, but historically people bend their behaviour to the available infrastructure. When a faster route opens up people change their behaviour to use it. Within a couple of years it's no longer the faster route and there are now more cars in the whole system. As far as I know there isn't an example of an urban freeway where this doesn't happen. There might be exceptions that I am unaware of though.

Back