News   May 03, 2024
 850     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 531     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 262     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Except your choice is just as artificial, as a result of policies that are laden with values.

In addition, removal of the Gardiner does not eliminate the choice of driving - that option still exist.

AoD

BTW, that's NOT a concrete factory - it's an abandoned silo.

Ok, that thing. It's been derelict for so long I have no recollection of its actual purpose.

I am quite aware of the location of both relative to the edge of the water (vs. the ambiguous term "waterfront") So are you saying that the presence of a relatively small structure like the silo have a greater impact on the developability of that stretch of land, vs. the Gardiner?

You tell me. I see plenty of condos built up against the Gardiner, along Lake Shore and Queen's Quay. I don't see any near that Silo.

Come now - that's because the area has just been rezoned for non-industrial purposes, plus being located in a flood zone (and actually, there is a freeze on development on the site - that's in spite of the fact that I can recall at least two proposals from the private sector).

If you want a more interesting indicator of effect of the Expressway - you should take a look at whether the majority of structures along the Gardiner actually actively uses that side of the building.

AoD

Except your choice is just as artificial, as a result of policies that are laden with values.

I'm not biting. Removing the Gardiner to make traffic worse, so that people 'artificially' find transit more convenient is not, in my mind, equal to the 'artificiality' of constructing highways and giving people mobility options.

One will always be about removing options, the other will always be about increasing them.

In addition, removal of the Gardiner does not eliminate the choice of driving - that option still exist.

Just as keeping the Gardiner does not eliminate the ability to develop the lands surrounding it.

Come now - that's because the area has just been rezoned for non-industrial purposes, plus being located in a flood zone (and actually, there is a freeze on development on the site - that's in spite of the fact that I can recall at least two proposals from the private sector).

So then why did you write this:

So are you saying that the presence of a relatively small structure like the silo have a greater impact on the developability AND desirability of that stretch of land, vs. the Gardiner?

If you want a more interesting indicator of effect of the Expressway - you should take a look at whether the majority of structures along the Gardiner actually actively uses that side of the building.

Why would they face the buildings toward the Gardiner when they can face the lake instead?

Oh really? By allowing the Gardiner to stay up, you removes the option of developing a superior urban form that is more conductive to other modes of movement, such as walking or cycling. And that's on top of removing the option of an urban environment with addition density and other benefits.

I suppose if you value driving about those, that's your call. But don't tell me it's about increasing options.

AoD

Well, no, actually it doesn't. The section of the Gardiner we're talking about is either against the channel, or it's running pressed up against the rail embankment. There is no shortage of develop able land right now in that area, and any suggestion that the Gardiner is what's slowing progress is entirely disingenuous. The area is a wasteland because it's, well, an industrial wasteland.

The Gardiner, not being on the waterfront, is not standing in the way of its revitalization. Now, that derelict cement factory...why aren't Condos being built right next door?!

The value and shape of developmental land is affected quite a bit by the presence of an ugly, loud, elevated highway right next door. It's not like you're all of the sudden going to see extra room for all sorts of new projects, but the land that's there WILL suddenly look a whole lot more interesting to developers. Which is the aim.

Really? Because I believe Monderman has cut off the leg you're trying to stand on.

I'm not really sure what the shared space approach has to do with the point I made. I was referring to urban planning at a higher level. A lot of municipal government is social engineering. Zoning is social engineering. The "Official Plan" is social engineering. A libertarian approach would just see people build stuff wherever they thought it would make them the most money. I'm not even sure how you'd run public transit in a free-market system: would each token cost twenty bucks?

This thread in a nutshell.

dutycallsnl3.png

Oh really? By allowing the Gardiner to stay up, you removes the option of developing a superior urban form that is more conductive to other modes of movement, such as walking or cycling. And that's on top of removing the option of an urban environment with addition density and other benefits.

I suppose if you value driving about those, that's your call. But don't tell me it's about increasing options.

"Superior Urban Form" isn't anything tangible, It's marketing.

I do enjoy how you're arguing for decreasing options, even while fooling yourself into thinking you're increasing them :D

The value and shape of developmental land is affected quite a bit by the presence of an ugly, loud, elevated highway right next door. It's not like you're all of the sudden going to see extra room for all sorts of new projects, but the land that's there WILL suddenly look a whole lot more interesting to developers. Which is the aim.

See AOD's description for why the area is currently undeveloped. Note how the Gardiner doesn't play a role.

I'm not really sure what the shared space approach has to do with the point I made. I was referring to urban planning at a higher level. A lot of municipal government is social engineering. Zoning is social engineering. The "Official Plan" is social engineering. A libertarian approach would just see people build stuff wherever they thought it would make them the most money.

Sorry, you wrote only a one-sentence comment about:
"Libertarian or free-market thinking doesn't really hold when you look at urban planning"

and so i pointed to an example of Libertarian thinking in urban planning. I hadn't realized it was only urban planning on a higher level you were talking about.

I'm not even sure how you'd run public transit in a free-market system: would each token cost twenty bucks?

I thought that's how most public transit services began? First as private enterprise, then nationalized (or provincialized?).

I thought that's how most public transit services began? First as private enterprise, then nationalized (or provincialized?).

You can thank the government kowtowing to the car lobby and building miles of suburban freeways back in the 1960s for that.

Back