News   Jul 26, 2024
 45     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 800     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 695     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

billonlogan - the CPO is in the hands of Randy Hillier et al who have successfully undermined John Tory. Any chance of a city-friendly Ontario Tory party has been put back years.

I would have agreed with you before the election campaign but seeing how Tory had to basically humour the yahoos who turned around and opposed him at the leadership vote last week, I don't think it's worth talking about Tories For Toronto.

Partial Removal of Gardiner Expressway!

Waterfront Toronto seeks partial removal of Gardiner Expressway

TORONTO, May 29 /CNW/ - Waterfront Toronto's Board of Directors will consider the partial removal of the Gardiner Expressway, ensuring that Toronto's waterfront can continue to be developed to the highest standards. It will consider the matter at its June 12 Board meeting.
Waterfront Toronto, which worked with the City of Toronto to review and analyze the options, is recommending removal of the Gardiner from Jarvis Street to the Don Valley Parkway. Waterfront Toronto's vision is to reconnect the city to its waterfront by developing a "Waterfront Boulevard" along the lake front. This approach balances public and waterfront benefits with financial viability.
"This is the most practical approach and offers the greatest public benefits," said Mayor David Miller, a member of Waterfront Toronto's board, "removing the eastern section of the Gardiner is an affordable step that will allow us to develop the East Bayfront, Lower Don Lands and West Don Lands properly while enhancing the public realm along Lakeshore and improving access to our waterfront. We have already seen what can be done."
With Waterfront Toronto Board approval, the preferred option will be submitted to the City's Executive Committee before it is sent to City Council for a final decision.
Following Council approval, a full Environmental Assessment will be undertaken before any work begins.

Waterfront Toronto will hold a briefing for the media concerning this recommendation on May 30 at 11:30 a.m. in its office at 20 Bay Street, 13th floor.

Louroz

Spacing is reporting that the Front Street Extension is also DOA.

I can say with a large amount of sincerity that I did NOT see that one coming. Wow. I'm not quite sure where I stood on that project to start with (there were good and bad things associated with it), but I thought it would go ahead for sure.

I can say with a large amount of sincerity that I did NOT see that one coming. Wow. I'm not quite sure where I stood on that project to start with (there were good and bad things associated with it), but I thought it would go ahead for sure.

Everything you just said describes what I was thinking too

The Huge sign for Front St Extension at Bathurst St that has been there for years was removed many months ago and said DOA for the extension.

Since the Sunset Clause expires shortly, the sun has set on the extension.

The downside, it to bad no transit route was every looked at for this extension and TTC keeps putting their head in the sand for transit to the west.

I think David Miller mentioned many moons ago that the city is looking at removing the Jarvis to DVP stretch of the Gardiner as the "vision". It's probably good timing anyways, with the upcoming East Bayfront and Lower Don River projects.

AoD

I suppose, at the very least, this will be a test case to estimate the effects of bringing down the entire thing.

I've thought for a while that all the buildings springing up around the Gardiner are an unexpected solution to the Gardiner problem: hiding it by overtopping it. Why couldn;'t we wall it in entirely in places?

But east of downtown would be a great place to test the Waterfront Boulevard idea.

Wow, the Gardiner abruptly stopping in mid-air at Jarvis. I guess they'll be installing a Peterborough-style lift lock to get the vehicles back to ground level

(boy, that was an inept attempt at surrealist humour)

^ That'll discourage drivers from using it – which I'm sure is the intention. Hence: the case for removing the whole thing will be a home run. :p

This isn't news. They're just re-announcing their intention to consider it.

I do like this piece meal approach however. Though slow, it will actually get the job done.

Labeling The Dismantling of the Gardiner Expressway as some Big Dig style project is a recipe for failure. On the other hand, talking about removing a small portion of the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP actually sounds doable since nothing much is built around it.

I'll bet that in some room, several years ago when Bob Fung was heading the TWRC, the above was strategized as the way to take down the Gardiner.
Up to a certain point, all the TWRC talked about was removing the Gardiner. It was an absolute pre-requisite for realizing the potential of their vision. All of a sudden, the talk stopped and TWRC became more conciliatory. Nobody – including Miller – wanted to talk about the Gardiner.

They had planned their entire chess game and didn't need – or want – to talk about it.

I'll bet that once the Jarvis to DVP portion is complete – and successful: the previous dismantlement was – they'll begin talking about tunneling from Spadina to Jarvis. Like this "announcement", Miller and WATERFRONToronto have already mentioned their intentions but it was never front page news.

Good going. I think this strategy might just work.

That all said, when can we begin? :D

This will likely pass since it is crucial to that part of waterfront renewal and the East Bayfront, Lower Don Lands and West Don Lands plans. The EA will take at least a year, planning a couple more and finally three or four more of construction... 2015?

Ok.. third post in a row on the subject.. I apologize but my brain is buzzing with this. The dismantlement of the Gardiner Expressway was what brought me to Urban Toronto in 2001! (actually, a "Metropolis" google search got me here, TO-2008 and The Gardiner/Waterfront discussions got me to stay)

The funny thing is that I was down there today for a walk. I strolled along Bremner from the CN Tower (the most central above-the-rail-corridor access point) to York. I admired the huge hole dug in the new underpass to install a sewer line and then my attention turned south.
I couldn't help but notice how well the Gardiner is becoming integrated into the city. All this construction around it is hemming the expressway in and forcing it to become a part of the city.

I think that in fact, while I'd love to see a major construction project with a tunnel from Spadina (or better, Bathurst) to Jarvis, I think that "beautifying" it between these points might make sense and might work.

With continuous city fabric emerging from Front to the lake, the big deterrent to getting there is the rail corridor, not the Gardiner.

I think that in the next construction boom in 20 to 30 years from after the current one, the rail corridor will be seen as valuable – and rare – downtown real estate and built upon, completing this connection of the city to the water.

So how will the people traveling in from the DVP get to downtown if the Gardiner is removed? Drive down Lake Shore?

Back