News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Shrinking families is part of the reason for the de-population of the core, but a 50% drop in some neighbourhoods is huge.
50% is big ... but when I walk those neighbourhoods in Montreal, I don't see evidence of deurbanization. What do you see when in those neighbourhoods? Looks more like gentrification than deurbanization.

At the same time you see a 43% drop in some Toronto neighbourhoods, where again, you don't see any sign of deurbanization.

I agree that Toronto has more sprawl, but would say that if Montreal had the same population and population growth as we do then it would sprawl more than us.
I don't think it would, because of the geographic constraints. Those bridges are a major roadblock.

Councillor Karygiannis, Ward 39 - Scarborough Agincourt, has announced that he no longer supports the "hybrid" option, and is now undecided.

This brings the tally up to:
Boulevard: 16
Hybrid: 18
Unknown: 11

This is the second defection from the Hybrid option in the past 12 hours. The boulevard now needs 7 more votes if it is to win, while the hybrid option needs 5.

Last edited:
Re: Toronto and Montreal's populations, these animated maps of growth/density changes are interesting. They're dated (from 07), and naturally we've seen substantial density increases in TO and significant outward sprawl in Peel and York Region over that time. But some of the points that Aquateam brings up can be understood. Another important one is the changing of downtown's numerous rooming houses into single family homes. Many times with no kids, or just occupied by a single person. You can see that Parkdale was quite the high-density pocket at one time.

Montreal CMA: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/analysis/popdwell/maps/animations/CMAs/Montreal.swf

Toronto CMA: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/analysis/popdwell/maps/animations/CMAs/Toronto.swf

If anyone has a more up to date version, that'd be appreciated.

Good news with the Karygiannis and Matlow announcements. I have no idea if it's related or not, but I sort of expected some form of retaliation from Karygiannis when Tory shut down debate on the Uber app on city cell phones issue.

Good news with the Karygiannis and Matlow announcements. I have no idea if it's related or not, but I sort of expected some form of retaliation from Karygiannis when Tory shut down debate on the Uber app on city cell phones issue.

Haha. That is one grudge I am happy to see.

What would be required for council to overturn the executive decision to not bring the Medical Officer of Health report to council?

This is a 2007 poster from Neptis. Mods feel free to delete if it's deemed to not belong here. But I think it's somewhat relevant and does a good job of showing expwy networks within major metro areas - as well as all the other important info like density, transit usage, growth patterns etc.

metropolitan_20070123.jpg

Attachments

• metropolitan_20070123.jpg
    metropolitan_20070123.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 389
David Rider ‏@dmrider 12m12 minutes ago Councillor Cesar Palacio, who told us he was undecided, has come out strongly in favour of the hybrid option for #GardinerEast

Supposedly Jaye Robinson officially supports Remove/Boulevard too but I cannot find a source.

Here is an updated list.

Total Maintain/Modify 18
Total Boulevard 16
Total Unknown 11

Supposedly Jaye Robinson officially supports Remove/Boulevard too but I cannot find a source.

Robinson is having a press conference later today, however this tweet doesn't look promising.

Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 12.59.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 12.59.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 12.59.49 PM.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 335
50% is big ... but when I walk those neighbourhoods in Montreal, I don't see evidence of deurbanization. What do you see when in those neighbourhoods? Looks more like gentrification than deurbanization.

At the same time you see a 43% drop in some Toronto neighbourhoods, where again, you don't see any sign of deurbanization.

I don't think it would, because of the geographic constraints. Those bridges are a major roadblock.

I'm not saying that cities are being abandoned, just that they're losing demographic weight compared to the suburbs. Prince Arthur is looking pretty shabby, but I'd hesitate to blame it on population decline or on the suburbs (although the article does).

This guy seems to think Montreal has enough bridges, but given how much people here complain about them (especially with the construction on Jacques Cartier) I think they're more of a barrier than he gives credit.

Re: Toronto and Montreal's populations, these animated maps of growth/density changes are interesting. They're dated (from 07), and naturally we've seen substantial density increases in TO and significant outward sprawl in Peel and York Region over that time. But some of the points that Aquateam brings up can be understood. Another important one is the changing of downtown's numerous rooming houses into single family homes. Many times with no kids, or just occupied by a single person. You can see that Parkdale was quite the high-density pocket at one time.

Montreal CMA: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/analysis/popdwell/maps/animations/CMAs/Montreal.swf

Toronto CMA: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/analysis/popdwell/maps/animations/CMAs/Toronto.swf

If anyone has a more up to date version, that'd be appreciated.

Some great graphics there, 44 North. It's interesting seeing Vaughn and other cities appear out of nowhere. I love the city comparison one too, would be interesting to see a rapid transit map laid ontop of it (but then we'd get into the "what is rapid transit" debate). It's kind of funny how Hamilton has been absorbed by Toronto in the map.

Councillor Karygiannis, Ward 39 - Scarborough Agincourt, has announced that he no longer supports the "hybrid" option, and is now undecided.

This brings the tally up to:
Boulevard: 16
Hybrid: 18
Unknown: 11

This is the second defection from the Hybrid option in the past 12 hours. The boulevard now needs 7 more votes if it is to win, while the hybrid option needs 5.

Matt Elliott's voting card can be found here, with links to the councillor's statements. I wish other councillors would release statements on their websites detailing their positions on issues and the logic behind them, like Matlow did.

That is perhaps one of the clearest and well-reasoned statements I've ever seen a politician issue. Let's hope some of the other members of council give it a read!

Wow that was very well written.

Pretty much the exact opposite of anything coming from team hybrid

Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 1.20.34 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 1.20.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 1.20.34 PM.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 413

Back