News   Jul 15, 2024
 24     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Wandering back to those ancient renderings of unbuilt Spadina, yes they were deemed a horrible thing to do - in the middle of the Annex, and in the process knocking down a lot of old houses and trees. In the Gardiner-railway corridor, that configuration would be an improvement, and if it were a compromise to allow for knocking down the elevated section, fine.

Last edited:
Hmm, this is the first convincing argument I've seen from the maintain side.

Here is the counter-point I would raise however. Humber Bay Shores does not have rapid transit alternatives to driving. The Don Lands will have transit alternatives in the form of SmartTrack, various streetcars and the WELRT.

We failed massively to provide transit alternatives to Humber Bay and created essentially a car-dependent suburb in our inner city. With Waterfront Toronto's lead, I doubt we will repeat those mistakes in the Don Lands.
Humber Bay is one of the most poorly thought out and planned communities in Toronto to date. The problem with Toronto is that we often "plan" for transit so much so that it actually never becomes a reality, so we can't safely assume that there will be transit in the Lower Don Lands that will help alleviate any congestion that may occur in the future.

With Humber Bay, a GO station could be added with relative ease but we have a failure of commitment and will by local politicians to do so. A GO station that would probably cost in the neighborhood of $30-100 million (rough estimates). The Waterfront West LRT could also be developed but that's far-fetched at a much greater cost.

The Don Lands *could* have a Waterfront East LRT/streetcar line, or Smarttrack, or whatever else but this is all "planned" (the exact same situation as Humber Bay). If the "planned" infrastructure updates fail to come into fruition, we will no doubt see another Humber Bay Shores neighborhood planned in Toronto, but this time in the east end. The last thing anyone in this city wants to see is another poorly planned out, car dependent neighborhood.

Humber Bay is one of the most poorly thought out and planned communities in Toronto to date. The problem with Toronto is that we often "plan" for transit so much so that it actually never becomes a reality, so we can't safely assume that there will be transit in the Lower Don Lands that will help alleviate any congestion that may occur in the future.

With Humber Bay, a GO station could be added with relative ease but we have a failure of commitment and will by local politicians to do so. A GO station that would probably cost in the neighborhood of $30-100 million (rough estimates). The Waterfront West LRT could also be developed but that's far-fetched at a much greater cost.

The Don Lands *could* have a Waterfront East LRT/streetcar line, or Smarttrack, or whatever else but this is all "planned" (the exact same situation as Humber Bay). If the "planned" infrastructure updates fail to come into fruition, we will no doubt see another Humber Bay Shores neighborhood planned in Toronto, but this time in the east end. The last thing anyone in this city wants to see is another poorly planned out, car dependent neighborhood.

Mostly agreed. Except the part about local politicians. Many times they do make noise about important local transit projects. But more often than not they're drowned out by the majority of other politicians - many of which have their own projects that require attention/$$. But the few projects that get the greenlight? The ones supported by the opportunistic Prov and Feds (for votes, obviously).

But your other points are on the mark. This is why I get irked by major transit projects like the building of the costliest transit to fields and parking lots. We have so many projects that have been delayed/ignored, some by up to a century (e.g Queen Subway). Perhaps we should deal with the backlog and underserved areas first, before gambling our scarce dollars on non-priority "priorities".

e027HM1.jpg

Vote projection from Matt Elliott.

Last edited:

All agreed.

I think Waterfront Toronto know this and will either lobby the city hard for transit improvements or set development standards contingent to the relative level of transit access in the Don Lands.

Building our city's waterfront is a long-term plan. No need to rush things, that is how we got the Humber Bay mess in the first place.

The Boulevard will need at least 7 more votes if they are to win.

Edit: Boulevard now needs 6 votes. Ward 22 - Josh Matlow is on board.

I have a feeling Jaye Robinson will vote in favor of the Boulevard. And Jon Burnside this early on in his political career will continue to side with Tory's 'Hybrid' plan.

So getting back on track, like I asked before: Why can't we get rid of the whole gardiner expressway?

Its worth noting that the Gardiner is 20km long. While we have the Embarcadero and New York East Side as comparison points, if we removed the Gardiner whole it would be single-handedly the longest and most heavily used highway removal project I think globally. (Source Here, also great read on highway removals!) It would be unprecedented, in fact we'd be setting continental and global precedent by doing it. Cities throughout the world would study Toronto for decades.

I think that is terribly unlikely though. Piecemeal removal seems to be the way to go, if we remove the Gardiner east of Jarvis street today then in 20-30 years time hopefully the discussion is then about expanding the boulevard and removing the portion between Jarvis and Bathurst. By then GO-RER should be fully implemented and oil prices sky high rendering automobile usage unpractical.

I think we also need to talk about the elephant in the room. If they tear down the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP it opens the door to tearing it down from Strachan to Jarvis in the future, whether its replaced by a tunnel or boulevard. If they don't tear down the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP the city is committed to keeping the entire raised Gardiner for a long, long time. This upcoming decision will affect the whole core of the City for the next 50 years, not just the eastern bayfront.

Great quote (on economics, not the the Gardiner, but apropos) from Prof. Thaler this morning on Bloomberg TV:

"Science changes death by death."

Given the rallying of the Nunziata brigade around Tory, I fear this is a battle lost to the people who look at those black & white pictures of a Gardiner jammed with '50s cars with a smile and a nostalgic tear in their eye.

I think we also need to talk about the elephant in the room. If they tear down the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP it opens the door to tearing it down from Strachan to Jarvis in the future, whether its replaced by a tunnel or boulevard. If they don't tear down the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP the city is committed to keeping the entire raised Gardiner for a long, long time. This upcoming decision will affect the whole core of the City for the next 50 years, not just the eastern bayfront.

Not really. Don't forget the city has already committed to rebuilding the Western portion of the Gardiner, and has been doing so for the past few years. We're already spending nearly a billion dollars to repair that portion. I doubt there will be any appetite to remove it after spending that much to repair it.

Not really. Don't forget the city has already committed to rebuilding the Western portion of the Gardiner, and has been doing so for the past few years. We're already spending nearly a billion dollars to repair that portion. I doubt there will be any appetite to remove it after spending that much to repair it.

The repairs are only going to last for so long. We are paying a billion dollars to maintain the central Gardiner so we can have this debate again in 20-30 years.

The repairs are only going to last for so long. We are paying a billion dollars to maintain the central Gardiner so we can have this debate again in 20-30 years.

The repairs are ongoing over the next 20 years though. They are completely replacing the road deck. It's not just a minor bandaid solution, its nearly a complete rebuild. There won't be any of the 'original' Gardiner left. They are literally cutting it out and putting a new one down. The columns are the only original part that will remain once construction is done.

The population changes you see in Montreal aren't hollowing out or dehumanization. They are simply smaller families living in the same dwellings. In some cases converting duplexes into single-family dwellings. It's not like you have the vacant properties you see in many US cities. You see similar trends in some Toronto neighbourhoods as well - but not as pronounced, as I don't think families here were ever quite as large or the density as high. You also see more infill densification in Toronto - and in that way Toronto may well be doing better - but it's not Montreal hollowing out. You also don't have as much urban sprawal in Montreal as you do in Toronto; you certainly have it in Montreal, but not as bad as Toronto ... and no where near like US cities. In both Toronto and Montreal it's primarily driven by population growth - not deurbanization.

Shrinking families is part of the reason for the de-population of the core, but a 50% drop in some neighbourhoods is huge. I agree that Toronto has more sprawl, but would say that if Montreal had the same population and population growth as we do then it would sprawl more than us. There definitely is a trend of suburbanization, as seen by this griping, and Montreal doesn't have the massive growth in the core to balance it out. I agree that sprawl in Canadian cities is because of growth more than displacement from the core, unlike the situation in many American cities.

The GTA has a lot of things that auger well for a less sprawl-y future than Montreal. The greenbelt, the Big Move, and Places to Grow don't have Quebec equivalents (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not aware of any). Quebec is still building highways, like the autoroute 19 extension. Quebec city has the most highway kilometers per capita in the country, and outside of postcard-perfect Old-Quebec, the city is mostly sprawl.

True ... and we've had a lot more post-war planning controls in the areas surrounding Toronto and Montreal, which don't exist in many US cities. Many of US cities that have done the best, are geographically-constrained (rather than planning-constrained).

Which sort of planning controls? I'm curious, because it seems like until recently the policy in Ontario was to maximize sprawl. I think we mostly have just had fewer highways built than in the US.

Not sure I buy that one.

I thought it was a bit weak too, more of a reverse-causation thing. But I do notice a cultural difference. I have american friends who own multiple cars, who think it's crazy to try to go places on foot, cab rather than take the subway etc. Meanwhile, many of my Canadian friends don't even have drivers licenses and they're in their mid-to-late 20s. This attitude is probably a result of the built form, not the cause of it. Really I just think that the US was wealthier, so people people adopted cars earlier and had the concomitant changes in built form and the death of mass transit that comes with widespread personal vehicle ownership. Canada was just slow to jump on the bandwagon.

Look at the transit modal share of major Canadian cities compared to American cities of similar size. The Canadians have significantly higher share. 2 of the top 5 most used rapid transit systems in North America are in Canada, even though canada represents only 7% of the continent's population.

It's actually impressive how different transit mode shares are in Canada compared to other new-world anglosphere countries.

Very true. Even in the US, the cities held up as champions of urban vitality (e.g. Seattle, Portland, San Fran, Minneapolis) never had the African American population and resulting issues around white-flight.

Toronto's downtown also benefited from some seemingly random, or at least unplanned, developments.

1.) Downtown has several post secondary institutions (UofT, Ryerson, OCAD, GBC). These bring tons of people into downtown every day. In most US states, much more of this happens in college towns. Those towns, not surprisingly, happen to have lots of the livability that Toronto prides itself on.

+1

2.) Big government presence. Most American states don't have their capital in their largest city. The net result is to put lots of high-paying, white collar jobs in smaller state capitals. Toronto's also a bit unique in that QP is actually a very large government by North American standards. Amongst sub-national governments, Ontario's probably just behind California, New York and Texas in terms of total spending and well ahead of similarly sized states like Ohio or Illinois.

Have you ever tried naming US state capitals? They pick the strangest cities. Sometimes when I'm in the US I ask people what their state capital is and they can't tell me.

3.) The country's capital markets happen to be here, and for some reason that's one of the few industries where firms are willing to pay premium rents for central office space (transactional efficiencies from being close?). Not every city can have one and most of the activity in the US has been consolidated in Manhattan and Chicago.

And yet Chicago has all the sprawl and hollowing out. Companies have their offices in the core, but people drive from their Chicagoland suburbs to downtown in the morning and leave in the evening.

All agreed.

I think Waterfront Toronto know this and will either lobby the city hard for transit improvements or set development standards contingent to the relative level of transit access in the Don Lands.

Building our city's waterfront is a long-term plan. No need to rush things, that is how we got the Humber Bay mess in the first place.

I really wish Waterfront TO was given the mandate to deal with the Western part of the waterfront. That means deciding the future of Ontario place, the waterfront west LRT, Humber Bay. Would be great if they could give it the same kind of thoughtful design and treatment as they've been doing to the central waterfront.

I thought that the city already elected to do (and has been performing) long-term maintenance on the western gardiner, so we're stuck with that for the next couple decades.

Back