News   Jul 15, 2024
 251     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

I wonder if today won't be a bit of a tipping point. Earlier in the day a poll says tear it down, and then His Tiny Perfectness politely trashes Tory's stance. Who's left on the retain side? Rob Ford? Is this really the hill he wants to dig in on?

Has anyone been keeping track of individual councillors stance on the issue? It's hard to even guess which option they'll pick at the moment.

Some interesting things to keep in mind about the recent poll:

This poll indicates that there's a consensus across the city and demographics that removal is the favoured option.

In Scarborough, 42% were in favour of removal, which 36% were in favour of rebuild. In North York, 45% were in favour of removal, while 30% were in favour of rebuild. The results in these two boroughs don't deviate too much from the results from the whole city, with 45% in favour of removal, and 33% in favour of rebuild. I'm very surprised to see that people in Scarborough are so in favour of removal, since this would affect them the most.

The poll has 45% of men and 44% of women in favour of removal. In contrast, 33% of men and 32% of women supported the rebuild. This isn't a statistically significant difference. Across all age groups, the remove option had a sizeable lead over rebuild.

I don't think we've often seen infrastructure issue that has had such consistent support across demographics about what is the preferred solution.

Tory's best position might be "If we tear it down we have to put more money into SmartTrack". That would give him an out, give him his SmartTrack and make him look like a team-building leader.

I don't expect the council vote to be the end of the story though, especially if Tory wins. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 3C launch a lawsuit. The longer this draws out the better it is for the boulevard plan.

Tory has the votes on council to get his way.

We're stuck with a rather poor council, with most committees stacked with either Tory loyalists or nutjobs who will mostly go with Tory's agenda, Uber notwithstanding.

I agree. This isn't Rob Ford post-crack scandal, this is a (relatively) freshly elected and popular mayor. I can't picture another council rebellion.

I don't expect the council vote to be the end of the story though, especially if Tory wins. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 3C launch a lawsuit. The longer this draws out the better it is for the boulevard plan.

Its these bullshit lawsuits, countersuits and political meandering that is leading to the downfall of this city. Seriously the city just needs to make a decision, stick with the decision and move forward whatever the direction.
I am appalled that after decades of drawing circles in the sand why the government and the public have fail to realize that regardless of whether the path take is ideal or not, the worst thing you can do is backtrack and start over.
I quote Lenin's Book title: "1 step forward, 2 Steps back" but in this case, its half step forward 3 steps back....

I agree. This isn't Rob Ford post-crack scandal, this is a (relatively) freshly elected and popular mayor. I can't picture another council rebellion.

Well, on the bright side, history has proven council decisions are meaningless (just see the subway debate). EDIT: see above

AoD

Its these bullshit lawsuits, countersuits and political meandering that is leading to the downfall of this city.

Why is this a bullshit lawsuit? The Hybrid option basically fucks over the plan for their property by taking 2 acres from them and compromising another 2 acres (out of a total of 14 acres). They've been working with Waterfront Toronto and The City for years to develop this property, so they put effort into that, and then all of a sudden First Gulf invents the Hybrid, gets Tory onboard, and 3C could very well lose their property.

I'd say that their anger is valid. Would you be happy if that happened to you? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Its these bullshit lawsuits, countersuits and political meandering that is leading to the downfall of this city. Seriously the city just needs to make a decision, stick with the decision and move forward whatever the direction.
I am appalled that after decades of drawing circles in the sand why the government and the public have fail to realize that regardless of whether the path take is ideal or not, the worst thing you can do is backtrack and start over.
I quote Lenin's Book title: "1 step forward, 2 Steps back" but in this case, its half step forward 3 steps back....

If there is a lawsuit here it's the fault of council for not doing their homework before making decisions. If they want to be able to make a decision and just move forward with it then they need to make sure that the options they're choosing from aren't screwing people over.

If there is a lawsuit here it's the fault of council for not doing their homework before making decisions. If they want to be able to make a decision and just move forward with it then they need to make sure that the options they're choosing from aren't screwing people over.

Well, apparently money grows on trees for this administration - I guess that's where the 2% TTC funding cut will be going to.

AoD

Back