News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 620     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 299     0 

Roads: Bayview Extension/River Street

Parking enforcement resources. They share the same non-emergency number.
It's not in people's way. They rather remove a car blocking a driveway instead. Even if a fine is issue, the courts would let them off easily knowing they were working at that site.

As much as we hate it, nothing much would happen. It's not worth it for the city if they can't get much out of it except pissing them off. It can also be a supervisor or engineer that needs to attend multiple sites during a day. No they aren't going to take public transit cause that's super inefficient.

All done! Pylons are being removed tonight. a little bit of line painting here and there, but it looks great. I guess I'm being a bit YIMBY (Yes In My BackYard!) about this because I drive this road 2 or 3 times per day and it's a fun road to drive. Even more fun now that it's beautifully repaved. Can't wait to start making a left from Bayview Northbound to Rosedale Valley Road. Is going to make it hugely easier to get up to Yonge and St. Clair. No more Mt. Pleasant from where I live. Now I'll just zoom up Bayview, Rosedale Valley Road and Yonge.

All done! Pylons are being removed tonight. a little bit of line painting here and there, but it looks great. I guess I'm being a bit YIMBY (Yes In My BackYard!) about this because I drive this road 2 or 3 times per day and it's a fun road to drive. Even more fun now that it's beautifully repaved. Can't wait to start making a left from Bayview Northbound to Rosedale Valley Road. Is going to make it hugely easier to get up to Yonge and St. Clair. No more Mt. Pleasant from where I live. Now I'll just zoom up Bayview, Rosedale Valley Road and Yonge.

Too bad we can't get artists to do the road painting.

At the Public Works Committee yesterday, and they voted to return the speed limit to 60kph from 50kph.

Normally, I'd be pretty contemptuous of this backtracking. But in this case, I think it's the right thing to do, at least for part of the Bayview extension. The road is designed like a highway - traffic was not traveling at 50 k/h. Slower speeds would require a redesign of the road. I'm all for #visionzero, but even I had trouble sticking to 50 k/h, or even 60 k/h, whenever I was behind the wheel.

One exception is Bayview south of Rosedale Valley Road, where the lanes are much narrower, and where there are no protected bike/pedestrian lanes. I have seen so many close calls between cars on that stretch, and it's common to see cyclists on that stretch. I found traffic was slower on that stretch, and it does benefit from a 50 k/h limit. But baby got thrown out with the bathwater on that one.

At the Public Works Committee yesterday, and they voted to return the speed limit to 60kph from 50kph.

Woohoo! Common sense wins over ideology for once!

One exception is Bayview south of Rosedale Valley Road, where the lanes are much narrower, and where there are no protected bike/pedestrian lanes. I have seen so many close calls between cars on that stretch, and it's common to see cyclists on that stretch.

Totally agree. How could they fix this? I don't know how they'd widen the road there for separated cycling. And I don't think dropping the speed right there would make any difference.

A little off topic, but I can't figure out why everyone drives 10 km/h under on the Rosedale Valley Road southbound. The speed limit is 50 km/h, but 9 times out of 10 I'm stuck behind someone going 40 km/h down that road. Do people get freaked out because it's got a few twists and turns and they're used to driving straight up until then? Or is it all the trees?

Totally agree. How could they fix this? I don't know how they'd widen the road there for separated cycling. And I don't think dropping the speed right there would make any difference.

There have been earlier (fairly brief) discussions, I believe in this thread (maybe in another thread), about how widening the Bayview road allowance south of Rosedale Valley Road could be accomplished in order to accommodate separate cycling/pedestrian lanes (i.e. expropriation on the west side, IIRC). Would be a challenge (particularly south of River, where they'd likely have to tunnel east and continue the lanes along the Lower Don Trail), but nothing is impossible with political will and money, I suppose (neither of which exist in this situation, I suspect).

I've noticed that speeds on this stretch naturally tend to be lower already, just because of the nature of the road (there aren't even any shoulders). When the limit dropped to 50 k/h, it did seem the one section where many drivers did seem to be going at or not markedly above that speed.

That whole section of Bayview is a challenge on so many fronts. It was built as a back service road through a wasteland, but is fast becoming an important link (and not just for motor vehicles).

A little off topic, but I can't figure out why everyone drives 10 km/h under on the Rosedale Valley Road southbound. The speed limit is 50 km/h, but 9 times out of 10 I'm stuck behind someone going 40 km/h down that road. Do people get freaked out because it's got a few twists and turns and they're used to driving straight up until then? Or is it all the trees?

I also usually end up behind the guy going 30-40 k/h, and then have someone tailgating me because of it.

It’s the trees, definitely the trees. It’s also highly likely that the people rarely visit downtown and they’re using GPS to get onto the DVP.

What's going on with the Bayview Extension from Rosedale Valley Road South to River (and beyond)???

They've installed these huge moveable barriers that will swing out to shut down the whole road or something? For what reason? How often do they plan on shutting down this road that they wanted permanent concrete and steel barriers installed that move?

What's going on with the Bayview Extension from Rosedale Valley Road South to River (and beyond)???

They've installed these huge moveable barriers that will swing out to shut down the whole road or something? For what reason? How often do they plan on shutting down this road that they wanted permanent concrete and steel barriers installed that move?

The road has been altered to sustain a full multi-use path, in addition to bike lanes, because the Lower Don Trail is being closed for several months.

As part of that change, Lower Bayview is one-way only.

It will be that way at least through mid-fall.

Right, but I'm confused. I see how it's now one-way only south of River for vehicles (which is awesome!) but what are the big moveable barriers for? Will it actually be shut down completely to cars now and then or permanently for a while?

Right, but I'm confused. I see how it's now one-way only south of River for vehicles (which is awesome!) but what are the big moveable barriers for? Will it actually be shut down completely to cars now and then or permanently for a while?
Not sure exactly what you mean BUT the City are installing 'gates' so they can close off the section of Bayview that often gets flooded after heavy rain. (River Street to below the King St bridge.)

Back