News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

Roads: Bayview Extension/River Street

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this major resurfacing and mixed access project so hear goes.

They finally resurfaced River today between Gerrard Street and Bayview Extension. They've also added lovely planters in the middle median on the decent. Which was a very nice beautification touch not strictly needed from a purely functional standpoint.

Some pictures from today's resurfacing:

IMG_9633.jpg
IMG_9647.jpg
IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9643.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.05.09 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_9633.jpg
    IMG_9633.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,026
  • IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,846
  • IMG_9643.jpg
    IMG_9643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,845
  • IMG_9647.jpg
    IMG_9647.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,896
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.05.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.05.09 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,802
Last edited:
There has been lots of work going on in this corridor. They have already paved the portions of the new bike path on the east side of Bayview from Rosedale Valley Rd. to Pottery Rd. The reconfiguration of the intersection of Bayview/Rosedale Valley is now beginning. They are removing one of the channelized turns to Bayview, and adding a NB Bayview left turn lane. The new pedestrian bridge over the Don River alongside Pottery Rd has been put in place. The paving work of Bayview itself is still to come though.

They are removing one of the channelized turns to Bayview, and adding a NB Bayview left turn lane. The new pedestrian bridge over the Don River alongside Pottery Rd has been put in place.

I've been watching this. Very curious what the goal is there? Is it to completely remove the right turn late altogether? For what point? Pics would be great. Also would like to see pics of the new pedestrian bridge over the Don River by Pottery Road.

^^^ Very interesting. Now why do they want to eliminate them? It's not like people making an uncontrolled right are causing traffic jams in this situation.

^^^ Very interesting. Now why do they want to eliminate them? It's not like people making an uncontrolled right are causing traffic jams in this situation.
I am not sure about this particular situation but the City are removing 'right turn channels' in the busier pedestrian areas of the City because they are not pedestrian friendly. They removed ones at Front & Yonge, Adelaide & Parliament, Lower Sherbourne & Lake Shore and several at Gardiner exits in recent years.

I made a thread in the spring for summer road construction projects, this could probably be merged into that.

I am not sure about this particular situation but the City are removing 'right turn channels' in the busier pedestrian areas of the City because they are not pedestrian friendly. They removed ones at Front & Yonge, Adelaide & Parliament, Lower Sherbourne & Lake Shore and several at Gardiner exits in recent years.
Exactly- at an intersection pedestrian traffic is controlled and so is vehicle traffic - at those turn offs you (*usually) have a yield sign that no one obeys. At Bayview and Rosedale Valley there isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic, so seems somewhat pointless, but they are adding the useful north to west turn. Will be a great short cut across the busiest part of downtown - well outside of the usual busy periods for Rosedale Valley

At Bayview and Rosedale Valley there isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic, so seems somewhat pointless, but they are adding the useful north to west turn.

Oh that's useful. I wonder if it will be all day, or not allowed in rush hour.

Amount of space there, they could easily do a roundabout.

They are adding the useful north to west turn. Will be a great short cut across the busiest part of downtown.

Oooh, that will be huge! That will change how I get around the city. As I often head north up Bayview and keep having to go all the way up to Moore or Rosedale before heading West. Now I can go up Rosedale Valley Road. It really is a game changer, because if you think about it, currently there are no left turn options from Corktown until you get to the Brickworks.

At Bayview and Rosedale Valley there isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic, so seems somewhat pointless, but they are adding the useful north to west turn.

I wonder if this will change. The east side of Bayview now has a cycle / walking path to connect Rosedale Valley Road and Pottery Road. This is helpful for anyone travelling to the Brickworks.

I wonder if this will change. The east side of Bayview now has a cycle / walking path to connect Rosedale Valley Road and Pottery Road. This is helpful for anyone travelling to the Brickworks.
There is definitely a lot more options down here, but when you think of walking in this area the west side of Bayview is very hostile for this. You have access to the Brickworks further up, but when you get south of there towards the ramps to/from the DVP its a really bad area for walking (and likely going to be very dangerous for cyclists). I hope some thought has been put in place if dedicated bicycle lanes are added. When you are south of the Viaduct, most of the pedestrian traffic i've seen follows Rosedale Valley Drive towards Riverdale Park West (so no road crossing required). I think it's odd that the eliminated the east to south channel but left the south to west - generally speaking if you cross one you have to cross the other (there isn't much on the east side of Bayview at this point).

Back