News   Jun 28, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 334     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Just another day on Toronto streets...

A 70 year old female pedestrian has died after she was hit by a driver in a hit-and-run in North York during rush hour Thursday morning, police say.

The woman was hit by a driver of a black SUV near Islington Avenue and Aviemore Drive, just north of Finch Avenue West, shortly before 6:30 a.m., police said.
The driver then fled after striking the woman, police said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...aign_id=GTA&utm_content=novitalsignshitandrun

Last edited:
Just another day on Toronto streets...

A 70 year old female pedestrian has died after she was hit by a driver in a hit-and-run in North York during rush hour Thursday morning, police say.

The woman was hit by a driver of a black SUV near Islington Avenue and Aviemore Drive, just north of Finch Avenue West, shortly before 6:30 a.m., police said.
The driver then fled after striking the woman, police said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...aign_id=GTA&utm_content=novitalsignshitandrun

While noting that most people are decent'ish.........this is the sort of thing that could make you lose faith in your fellow humans:

From CityNews Twitter, see bold

ped-struck-killed-islinton-avenue-nov-28-tony-fera-adjusted.jpg

Toronto police are investigating after a pedestrian was struck on Islington Avenue near Aviemore Road on Nov. 28, 2019. (CITYNEWS/TONY FERA)

caption-icon.png

Toronto police are investigating after a woman in her 70s was struck and killed by a vehicle in the city’s north end Thursday morning.
The incident occurred in the Islington Avenue and Aviemore Drive area, just north of Finch Avenue West at around 6:32 a.m.
Police said the driver of the vehicle involved in collision fled the scene. No description has been released of the suspect vehicle so far.
Investigators added they have received information that a number of drivers chose to drive around the victim’s body without stopping to help.

Islington Avenue is closed in both directions as the traffic services unit investigates.

Last edited:
Good thing I never had much faith in humanity to start off with - what I do believe in is the utility of punishment. I mean, nevermind the issue of fault - there is something particularly disturbing about the lack of compliance with the basic requirement of stopping at the scene of the accident. It isn't a nice option - and frankly that's grounds for having their license permanently taken away at first offence.

AoD

Last edited:
While noting that most people are decent'ish.........this is the sort of thing that could make you lose faith in your fellow humans:

From CityNews Twitter, see bold

ped-struck-killed-islinton-avenue-nov-28-tony-fera-adjusted.jpg

Toronto police are investigating after a pedestrian was struck on Islington Avenue near Aviemore Road on Nov. 28, 2019. (CITYNEWS/TONY FERA)

Toronto police are investigating after a woman in her 70s was struck and killed by a vehicle in the city’s north end Thursday morning.
The incident occurred in the Islington Avenue and Aviemore Drive area, just north of Finch Avenue West at around 6:32 a.m.
Police said the driver of the vehicle involved in collision fled the scene. No description has been released of the suspect vehicle so far.
Investigators added they have received information that a number of drivers chose to drive around the victim’s body without stopping to help.

Islington Avenue is closed in both directions as the traffic services unit investigates.
This street is dangerous by design. It happened on a five-lane stretch of Islington that goes about 700m without a traffic light. There are highrise buildings and a TTC stop here. But according to the police and their apologists, it's the jaywalking, airpods and non-reflective clothing that's the real problem.

This street is dangerous by design. It happened on a five-lane stretch of Islington that goes about 700m without a traffic light. There are highrise buildings and a TTC stop here. But according to the police and their apologists, it's the jaywalking, airpods and non-reflective clothing that's the real problem.

That's cause - which rightly can be subjected to debate. This is something much more fundamental - the utter unwillingness to follow the most basic of traffic regulations - stopping at the scene of an accident. People who violate that probably won't bat an eye at violating everything else. And in case one use the "I didn't realize I hit someone" excuse - someone with such poor observational skills should be barred from driving in the first place.

AoD

Good thing I never had much faith in humanity to start off with - what I do believe in is the utility of punishment. I mean, nevermind the issue of fault - there is something particularly disturbing about the lack of compliance with the basic requirement of stopping at the scene of the accident. It isn't a nice option - and frankly that's grounds for having their license permanently taken away at first offence.
That's cause - which rightly can be subjected to debate. This is something much more fundamental - the utter unwillingness to follow the most basic of traffic regulations - stopping at the scene of an accident. People who violate that probably won't bat an eye at violating everything else. And in case one use the "I didn't realize I hit someone" excuse - someone with such poor observational skills should be barred from driving in the first place.
In a world that made sense, that's exactly what should happen. But based on past precedents, I will not be surprised if even the hit and run driver (assuming that he's found) gets to keep his license.

This quote from the article posted by @Jeff Morgan so succinctly summarizes the state of Vision Zero in this city.

"So this is where we are today in Toronto. A police chief blaming AirPods, the man in charge of Vision Zero wanting everyone in yellow vests, the Police Department taking Vision Zero money to do what they should have been doing all along, the mayor is missing in action, Vision Zero in shambles, and who knows how many people are dead. Welcome to Toronto. Bring your own yellow vest and keep out of their bike lane."

What needs to happen is a large multimedia shame campaign against Tory and other municipal leaders.

We all know that Tory doesn't really care about this because road safety is something that doesn't really impact him (his being part of the Bloor-Lawrence spine of wealth that can afford to drive/get chauffeured having to do with it)- but a permanent smear on his legacy might.

What needs to happen is a large multimedia shame campaign against Tory and other municipal leaders.

We all know that Tory doesn't really care about this because road safety is something that doesn't really impact him (his being part of the Bloor-Lawrence spine of wealth that can afford to drive/get chauffeured having to do with it)- but a permanent smear on his legacy might.

It is more fundamental than Tory - it is the modus operandi of the city - particularly the burbs (and the province at large) that's the issue. It could be a different mayor, and you'd still get Robinson, Pasternak, Lai and all the other shameless apologists.

AoD

Back