News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 860     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

I'm hesitant about that at some very busy intersections where I already see bikes pushing through crowds of pedestrians as they try to cross

The Internet is full of 'dash-cam' compliations. I find it interesting that most (the last one apparently the exception) appear to come from second world countries where driver's licences come from Cracker Jack boxes and no one, driving, walking or riding, seems to have the basic common sense and survival skills that God gave a goose.
I would imagine many drivers there have dash-cams to protect themselves from corruption.

Pedestrian versus the Car.

That wave of death at 1:01 reminded me of my three years in Fredericton, NB. Drivers in one lane would surrender their right of way and stop mid road to wave some pedestrian across, followed by a car in another lane, or if a single lane a car approaching behind swings out to pass and almost runs over the pedestrian. So, skip the wave of death, drive on and let the pedestrian cross when they deem it safe.

Last edited:
there are instances in which there are as few as two seconds of walk sign -- in those places, it is literally impossible to cross legally.
You're legally allowed to be in the crossing when the red hand is flashing, you're just not supposed to enter the roadspace when it's flashing. So for two seconds everyone can start walking.
The reality here is dumb and confusing,
Perhaps the fix is to move to Walk/Don't Walk signs instead of the red hand. As for controlling cars, I'd say ban right turns on reds, and then have dedicated green arrows for cars.

Even more shocking ... I saw a car the other day, that didn't come to a full stop at a stop sign - it only slowed to about 2 km/hr! :)
I stop at the line and then proceed at every stop sign and every right turn on a red. In residential zones I make it a habit to stop and wait 1-2 seconds to look for kids, etc. I’ve almost been rear-ended multiple times, but it’s not worth it to cruise through and risk killing someone.

I stop at the line and then proceed at every stop sign and every right turn on a red. In residential zones I make it a habit to stop and wait 1-2 seconds to look for kids, etc. I’ve almost been rear-ended multiple times, but it’s not worth it to cruise through and risk killing someone.

You. Will. Be. Wasting. A. Lot. Of. Fuel. If. You. Have. To. Stop. And. Go. At. Each. And. Every. Stop. Sign. Not. Good. For. The. Environment. Nor. Your. Brakes.

Yes, imagine the concept of actually stopping at a stop sign! Ignore those signs and think of the environment!

More like washing your hands, make a sandwich, washing hands, make a sandwich, washing hands, make a sandwich for each member of ;your family for lunch.
Every so often one comes across such stupid commentary that you’re left shaking your head and asking if this poster is really this stupid, or just taking the piss.

Stopping at stop signs is not wasteful. It’s not even hard on the brakes or the environment if you avoid hard braking and accelerating, which any driver can do by looking ahead, planning and taking your time.

Every so often one comes across such stupid commentary that you’re left shaking your head and asking if this poster is really this stupid, or just taking the piss.

Stopping at stop signs is not wasteful. It’s not even hard on the brakes or the environment if you avoid hard braking and accelerating, which any driver can do by looking ahead, planning and taking your time.
Waiting at a stop sign is wasteful. It always leads to confusion when the person with the right-of-way does not take it.

Back