News   Jul 15, 2024
 397     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

Riverdale

Does this mean that the "exciting new concept", the one promised to us for months by the signs in the windows of the empty Stixx location, is not actually going to materialize? Or that the exciting new concept is, in fact, the old Friendly Greek?

The Friendly Greek's heyday was the 90s when when they were even busy late on weekends but they haven't changed much since then and customers have gone elsewhere on the Danforth..Eton house has always been a mystery to me especially when they used to have their windows covered, but it was prob for the best anyhow!

In other news, the new Court Jester looks almost ready to open...

Last edited:
The Friendly Greek's heyday was the 90s when when they were even busy late on weekends but they haven't changed much since then and customers have gone elsewhere on the Danforth..Eton house has always been a mystery to me especially when they used to have their windows covered, but it was prob for the best anyhow!

In other news, the new Court Jester looks almost ready to open...

Eton House was really okay, even for a genteel girl like me. Truly, nothing nefarious went on there, certainly not in the past 10-12 years since we were walking by one night, the doors were open, some pretty good live music was coming out and we looked at each other and said, "Why not? What's the worst that could happen?" It made me laugh when my friends and neighbours would get this look of shock on their faces when we would say that we had dropped in the night before for some dancing to classic rock or country rock cover bands or live comedy. Family-owned. Mostly working class clientele who would dress up some for Friday nights. There are about 25 rooms upstairs where people live fulltime. I wonder what will happen to them.

As for CJ, it's about time!

By the way, finally checked out Factory Girl the other night in the old Willow location. The food was excellent for pub grub, if a bit on the pricey side.

Four Corners Culinary Concourse, which is apparently an incubator for independent food producers, is opening a three-storey facility in the building at 268 Danforth, opposite Bowden, the ground floor of which used to be occupied by the Thuna herbalist. Claiming a summer 2014 opening, but that seems optimistic.

http://fourcorners.cc

This doesn't appear to be happening. The banner is still there, as is the building permit in the window, but a big For Lease sign has now been posted on the front windows.

Discovered Factory Girl last winter; we've been back a couple of times. Good food, maybe a bit pricey but definitely a cut above what you typically get, hence worth the experience.

Discovered Factory Girl last winter; we've been back a couple of times. Good food, maybe a bit pricey but definitely a cut above what you typically get, hence worth the experience.

I was blown away by how good the fried calamari were, and I consider myself very picky about Caesar salads but this definitely passed muster. Two of us ate plus had two cocktails and two glasses of wine and it came to about $80 before tip. Like you said, worth it. I'm already planning a return trip over the holidays.

We've done a lunchtime thing every time we've gone and have opted for lattes and such rather than booze. That helps keep the tab down. Nothing against booze, mind you! And yeah, the food was very tasty and clean. I would definitely try it out for a dinner option, but we rarely go up to the Danforth for dinner and keep instead pretty much to spots in Leslieville or Riverdale.

CJ's Deli is alright. We got take-out on the weekend. Toronto typically produces poor to mediocre smoked meat sandwiches, but CJ's version was quite good.

Last edited:
Ha ha. Awaiting your declaration.

Seriously, there is an art to slicing smoked meat correctly. Smoked meat cutters in Montreal commanded good salaries back in the day. (I worked my way through school in a deli.) I can tell by the sound of the tools in use whether it's being done correctly. If you do it wrong, it sits between the bread slices badly, is too thick, maybe tough, or too fatty or too lean, with not enough spice around the edge.

Then there's the bread itself.

I am not being a Montreal snob here, honest, but I think we can agree that, when it comes to bread, croissants and bagels, it's much easier to find the good stuff in Montreal than here. I have yet to eat a decent Vienna roll (what is called a Kaiser bun in TO) here. And the white rye just is not the same at all. It's not because Toronto is bad at baking while Montreal is good, although the French culture made bread and pastry in Montreal much better than in Toronto for a long long time. It's the different kinds of Jewish immigration. Deli culture is based on Jewish Romanian cuisine, which is what kicked off Montreal delis because the Romanians went there. It's no accident that the original "Montreal steak spice," which is basically what goes on the brisket, contains eastern spices such as coriander seed. (Best brand to buy in Toronto, if you can find it, is Lester's. It's also great on salmon, btw.) But I digress. The Romanians settled in Montreal while my understanding is that the first Jews who fled Europe for Toronto came mostly from Poland and Russia. Since immigrants tend to settle where they know people, or where others from their towns or villages went, the food cultures diverged in Montreal and Toronto, with Montreal getting the Romanian end. That's why the bread is also different. People rave about Montreal bagels and always ask me to bring some back when I go home but, for myself, it's all about the rye!

Last but not least, I was disappointed to discover that Caplansky's uses beef for chopped liver. This is all kinds of wrong IMO. The poor Jews of eastern Europe did not have cattle but they did have chickens ... and they used every bit of them, for soup, for shmaltz, for chopped liver. I look forward to trying CJ's and am happy to see it on the menu. I hope it's chicken!!! with crispy fried onions.

Friendly Greek appears to have made the move. The old location is closed, and yesterday morning people were in the new location getting it ready.

The African knick-knack shop, the one next to where the Friendly Greek used to be, is having a closing sale.

A friend in the restaurant biz told me yesterday that another big Danforth restaurant will moving...

Back