News   Jul 02, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 683     0 

Riverdale

According to Google, Atlantis is permanently closed. I forgot about Hunters! Also a victim of the Ontario Line construction. It was one of the last places where you could get a cheap breakfast on the Danforth. Another greasy spoon, Motorama at Jones, also closed around 2021.

Might have to do a drive by but at a guess i'd say maybe a dozen Greek food places remain on the strip now. Half of which are at Danforth/logan. I honestly cant remember the last time i knew of a Greek restaurant opening there, certainly nothing in the last 5 years.

Pape now has a better mix of Greek food and casual Greek cafes and since most Greeks live north of the Danforth its easy to see why its taken over.

I saw that 2 Matilda Street (Merchants of Green Coffee, Jam Factory) is boarded up. I looked on the city website but no applications. Anyone know what is going on?

IMG_7924.png

IMG_7920.jpeg

I saw that 2 Matilda Street (Merchants of Green Coffee, Jam Factory) is boarded up. I looked on the city website but no applications. Anyone know what is going on?

View attachment 545080
View attachment 545082

The building went into receivership at one point, it was subsequently sold; and all the tenants were booted back in 2021 as I recall.

I haven't heard anything since; did the space re-open at all in the interim?

No building permits for it.

Last edited:
Riverdale Park to possibly be renamed after Gord Downie.

I have nothing against Mr. Downe, but I'm not sure that this is a good use of money/time.

He really isn't connected to Riverdale Park in a meaningful way. It existed long before he was born, he was not a major donor/funder or contributor to the space.

Despite his moderate fame today, in Canada.........I expect his name will also largely be unrecognizable to most in a generation as 'The Hip' become grandpa's music.

Renaming a park, means changing several signs, that are about $2,500 a pop, plus lots of smaller stuff (website updates, Parks Maps).

I would also express concern for Mr. Downe's friends, that once you slap someone's name on a space, you can expect someone else will spend too much time looking for a reason to take their name off it.

I don't know if there's any money of significance remaining in Gord's estate, but maybe finding a project to improve the park and donating 50k+ towards it would be a better choice. That contribution could then be recognized with a plaque next to the pool/playground/tennis courts etc.

Back