News   Jun 13, 2024
 214     0 
News   Jun 13, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jun 13, 2024
 251     0 

Riverdale

Was it ten years ago or so that the neighbourhood was in a tizzy over Wendy's/Tim Hortons and Swiss Chalet Express moving onto the Danforth?

Apparently, the Swiss Chalet Express at Danforth and Carlaw closes at the end of this week. Wendy's disappeared five years ago or so (but it's co-tenant, Tim Hortons, continues to do well -- I suspect you could open a Tim Hortons in a rat-infested basement, and people would still flock to it).

Given the large patio area, it would nice if a great restaurant replaced the Swiss Chalet. Or the return of a fruit store to that location would be welcome as well.

Was it ten years ago or so that the neighbourhood was in a tizzy over Wendy's/Tim Hortons and Swiss Chalet Express moving onto the Danforth?

Apparently, the Swiss Chalet Express at Danforth and Carlaw closes at the end of this week. Wendy's disappeared five years ago or so (but it's co-tenant, Tim Hortons, continues to do well -- I suspect you could open a Tim Hortons in a rat-infested basement, and people would still flock to it).

Given the large patio area, it would nice if a great restaurant replaced the Swiss Chalet. Or the return of a fruit store to that location would be welcome as well.

Too bad Future Bakery was so poorly managed at that location and was forced to close down.

Strange how the Danforth seems like prime turf for franchises, but the track record is mixed. Any other strip (see Annex or Bloor West) would embrace these places with open arms.

Few observations following my last stroll:

Wendys and now Swiss Chalet closing
McDonalds at Broadview relatively quiet
Old school joints like Detroit Diner and Alexandros Gyros as busy as ever
The Licks at Pape is virtually empty
And now Kernels (yes, that Kernels) just opened with little fanfare

Could the Danforth be the last refuge for independent retailers and restaurateurs?

Strange how the Danforth seems like prime turf for franchises, but the track record is mixed. Any other strip (see Annex or Bloor West) would embrace these places with open arms.

Few observations following my last stroll:

Wendys and now Swiss Chalet closing
McDonalds at Broadview relatively quiet
Old school joints like Detroit Diner and Alexandros Gyros as busy as ever
The Licks at Pape is virtually empty
And now Kernels (yes, that Kernels) just opened with little fanfare

Could the Danforth be the last refuge for independent retailers and restaurateurs?

I know you were focused on restaurants, but it will be interesting to see how the Marks Work Warehouse fares.

When was the last time anything worked in that location? The fruit and vegetable market that was open until the wee hours, and moved there from opposite Pape subway station, maybe.

This is my first time posting - all of the info here is really interesting so thank you!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the area at Greenwood and Gerrard (the North West corner). I'm looking to rent a place and am interested in a unit in that area but don't know much about it.

I work downtown so would depend on the Gerrard streetcar.

Thanks so much!

Greenwood and Gerrard is a pretty quiet area. The bus runs infrequently but the streetcar runs all night and is usually there about every 10 - 15 mins. The market on the southwest corner is great for fresh meat and you have a huge park just to south of you.
From downtown it should take about 20 minutes to get from Yonge to Greenwood on the 506 during off-peak hours. Any other questions you may have, ask away and we'll try and help you out as best we can.

Shilly thank you so much for your reply. That is definitely helpful.

I have also come across a place on Baird Avenue (Danforth and Jones area I guess). Any input on that area? Seems like it would be closer to shops/restaurants and the subway right?

Back to Greenwood and Gerrard though - would you live there? Is it safe?

Thanks!

I spend half my time around the Jones and Danforth area, just north of the Danforth. Baird is part of 'The Pocket' which is what locals call the area north of the railtracks, east of Jones and south of the Danforth. Its a bit more errr rustic than the other side of Pape but its still very charming (and much more affordable). Lots of CBC and film crew types in the area, with a sprinkle of bohos and new Canadians. A few institutions in the area along the Danforth are The Only Cafe (for a pint and kickass waffles), Masellis Supermarket (a family run Italian grocer) and the Danforth Pizza House for the most underrated pizza in the city.

As far as Gerrard and Greenwood, you food options are a bit limited and subway access a bit obstructed since the Greenwood bus is remarkably underscheduled. It is fairly safe though I'd avoid Greenwood Park past 9.

I spend half my time around the Jones and Danforth area, just north of the Danforth. Baird is part of 'The Pocket' which is what locals call the area north of the railtracks, east of Jones and south of the Danforth. Its a bit more errr rustic than the other side of Pape but its still very charming (and much more affordable). Lots of CBC and film crew types in the area, with a sprinkle of bohos and new Canadians.

Not to mention Ben Kerr Lane...

I'm obviously partial towards the Danforth, but either area is adequate. Both are 'up and coming' with the gentrifiers in Riverdale and Leslieville having taken all the good stock to the west. As far as retail, services and transportation, I think Jones and Danforth takes it.

I'm more of the working man type than some of the other members on here but I'd have to say it is a pretty safe area. There are some "unsavoury" types of people who hang out at the coffee time nearby late at night and Jenny's place bar can produce some mean drunks. However, it is clean, quiet and very rarely do you hear of any problems regarding crime. It really depends on who you are and what you're looking for. If you want to be near the arts, being close to Danforth, as in Baird, might not be a bad option. Gerrard square and it's retail is a relatively quick distance away by street car. Probaly about 5 minutes in traffic.
I'd take Gerrard over Baird but that's my opinion.

Thanks again - I'm going to try going to visit both locations again to get a feel for them. I told one of my friends who has lived in the city for a while, and she seemed to think that anything east of Pape was too sketchy. She thinks I should stick to the Broadview-Pape section of the Danforth.

I don't want to go nuts making a decision, but I'd like to rent in the area for a while and eventually buy if it is the right place which is why I'm putting so much thought into it now.

Thanks again :)

Back