News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

I imagine everyone here has been stuck going nowhere fast on one of the older streetcars (with several streetcars behind it) in the middle of Parkdale?

Streetcars on Queen St. should be scraped.

I imagine everyone here has been stuck going nowhere fast on one of the older streetcars (with several streetcars behind it) in the middle of Parkdale?

Streetcars on Queen St. should be scraped.

Who is doing the "stucking"? Most likely the illegal left-turning single-occupant automobiles.

Who is doing the "stucking"? Most likely the illegal left-turning single-occupant automobiles.
Yup, been stuck on a packed streetcar behind a car with one person in it trying to make a left turn. I've also lived through a summer of buses while the tracks were being replaced (lived near Neville Park loop, worked downtown). It was hell. Maybe it would work if they got rid of street parking, but I don't think that what the anti-'war on cars' people are trying for.

According to the express bus report, they want to phasing-out the Downtown Premium Fare Express Routes because (even with the double fares) they are "the worst performing routes system-wide during peak periods in regards to their utilization (boardings per hour), and therefore financial performance even when the double fare is considered." That includes the 143 Downtown/Beach Express that follows the 501 in the east end.

That's an excellent argument in favour of scrapping cars, not streetcars, on Queen.

*scrapped

I hear/read this all the time.

Cars aren't the only vehicles using our streets.

Delivery vehicles, buses, City-owned vehicles, etc. ... they aren't going anywhere.

I can't remember the last time a car or delivery vehicle held-up traffic/ruined traffic flow the way an out of service ("broke") or slow-moving streetcar, does.

8 ... 9 ... 10 ... all in a row. Nowhere fast.

I've seen it happen in South Etobicoke, The Beaches, and many, many points/times in between.

Rarely (if ever) because of a car/truck ... always because of streetcars.

Any vehicle is easier to maneuvre than this slow, antiquated form of public transit.

People in South Etobicoke PREFER when there's buses on Lake Shore. Quicker. Easier.

Same on St. Clair when buses are running. Though squeezed into undesirably tight spots, it's still better for maneuverability than a lumbering streetcar.

The only reason streetcars are still being used is because they have to.

Miller and Giambrone forced the issue ... and Toronto is still paying for their errors.

*scrapped

I hear/read this all the time.

Cars aren't the only vehicles using our streets.

Delivery vehicles, buses, City-owned vehicles, etc. ... they aren't going anywhere.

I can't remember the last time a car or delivery vehicle held-up traffic/ruined traffic flow the way an out of service ("broke") or slow-moving streetcar, does.

8 ... 9 ... 10 ... all in a row. Nowhere fast.

I've seen it happen in South Etobicoke, The Beaches, and many, many points/times in between.

Rarely (if ever) because of a car/truck ... always because of streetcars.

Any vehicle is easier to maneuvre than this slow, antiquated form of public transit.

People in South Etobicoke PREFER when there's buses on Lake Shore. Quicker. Easier.

Same on St. Clair when buses are running. Though squeezed into undesirably tight spots, it's still better for maneuverability than a lumbering streetcar.

The only reason streetcars are still being used is because they have to.

Miller and Giambrone forced the issue ... and Toronto is still paying for their errors.
Of course folks in south Etobicoke prefer "when there's buses on Lake Shore" (sic). And in the amalgamated disaster of a city that we've got, anything south Etobicoke prefers has to be imposed on the core, regardless of what local residents want or the numbers support. Because, folks, Etobicoke is the urban ideal to which we should all aspire.

Of course folks in south Etobicoke prefer "when there's buses on Lake Shore" (sic). And in the amalgamated disaster of a city that we've got, anything south Etobicoke prefers has to be imposed on the core, regardless of what local residents want or the numbers support. Because, folks, Etobicoke is the urban ideal to which we should all aspire.

You're being ridiculous.

1. The City of Toronto works just fine, thank you. In less than 6 months, it'll be 20 years since amalgamation. I don't disagree there are still issues, but for the most part, the City functions very, very well for a growing and modern metropolis.

2. Anything? What has South Etobicoke "imposed" on Toronto? It's only one area ... and, until the last 10 years ... a rather sleepy one.

3. Folks, indeed. South Etobicoke is a beautiful and wonderful area of Toronto. Neatly tucked below the Gardiner. There's a reason why people are moving here. Even closer to home, New Toronto has long been one of the best kept secrets in Toronto.

The problem is that we still have politicians who think they are still in the 1950's, where the future is the car. They need to look outside of North America to see that cities are going away from the automobile and petroleum in general. Cities, outside of North America, are slowing banning individual motor vehicles from the city centre, starting with diesel powered motor vehicles. That includes not only the automobile, but diesel powered trucks and diesel powered buses and diesel trains. That's only the first step. The driving force is climate change, and the politicians have to keep that in mind when they want to improve cities.

The problem is that we still have politicians who think they are still in the 1950's, where the future is the car. They need to look outside of North America to see that cities are going away from the automobile and petroleum in general. Cities, outside of North America, are slowing banning individual motor vehicles from the city centre, starting with diesel powered motor vehicles. That includes not only the automobile, but diesel powered trucks and diesel powered buses and diesel trains. That's only the first step. The driving force is climate change, and the politicians have to keep that in mind when they want to improve cities.
Yes and in Toronto the politicians stuck in the 1950's are almost exclusively from the suburbs, and are sufficiently numerous to be able to impose their will on the whole city.

Back