News   Jul 12, 2024
 995     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

8ef6fbb5-e7c9-4a7d-9aa3-ddbeae1e3c31
8ef6fbb5-e7c9-4a7d-9aa3-ddbeae1e3c31
gafrBT3.png

I don't know what Mammo said this time, but Joe Cressy posted this today.
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.25.23 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.25.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.25.23 PM.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 235
I've failed to find the link, but this week Shiner said something like, "I don't make decisions based on facts - a computer could do that."

Laughter at Council's antic hi jinx aside, we have to acknowledge that most of the moronic statements on this post come from suburban councillors who are anti-core, anti-urban, anti-facts and anti-reasoned analysis. All these stupid statements from Mammo, JimmyK, Shiner, Pasternak, Holyday, de Baeremaeker and the rest of the suburban majority have real and incredibly damaging consequences for all of us, including ironically their own constituents. They're an indication that the model of an amalgamated city with an elected council that controls transit planning is profoundly broken.

I've failed to find the link, but this week Shiner said something like, "I don't make decisions based on facts - a computer could do that."

Laughter at Council's antic hi jinx aside, we have to acknowledge that most of the moronic statements on this post come from suburban councillors who are anti-core, anti-urban, anti-facts and anti-reasoned analysis. All these stupid statements from Mammo, JimmyK, Shiner, Pasternak, Holyday, de Baeremaeker and the rest of the suburban majority have real and incredibly damaging consequences for all of us, including ironically their own constituents. They're an indication that the model of an amalgamated city with an elected council that controls transit planning is profoundly broken.

Councillor Shiner (Ward 24, Willowdale) best summed up the support for such extensions saying: “I was elected to make political decisions, not necessarily fact-based decisions. I could get a computer to do that.”
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/05/toronto-city-councils-scatterbrained-transit-debates-continue

Never mind that computer don't make decisions in and on its' own without programming to guide it...but getting into that would be talking quantum mechanics to someone who can't do remedial math.

AoD

Last edited:

This is the reason more than a few super-rich and large pension funds are funding basic AI; ruthless, by-the-numbers, CEOs tend to perform better but they're hard to find as most let emotions get in the way. With the salaries involved, getting a 1% performance improvement and eliminating $300M in compensation is worth it.

I expect voting for management algorithms or target priorities rather than individuals will follow pretty quickly (quickly being 20 or so years down the road).

Back