News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Rexdale

this is Christmas 65 or jan 66 .you have to remember the developer stamps the date the time you put in the roll.most pictures that are dated could have been taken way before the picture was developed.some of my moms pictures were taken months before the development date.which causes confusion when looking at pics.these pics are for people who lived on mt olive dr in the 60s.or for people that live there now.this is our house we bought new in 64.and yes it really snowed in the 60s.
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
this is for all my fellow class mates in the 1960s.in rexdale when I went to high field 85 mt olive dr in1964 thats when the school
opened, i was one of the first students.i remember all students had to follow there teachers out side to the front of the school on mt olive dr where they took down the red ensign flag and put up the Canadian flag.in 1965.and whipper billy Watson came to our school.the Albion Mall was a strip mall then no odeon.i remember people dropping there milk bottles in loblaws.they were 1 gallon glass bottles what a noise they made.
IMG_6.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing photos, Dan. Would you happen to have any of the Finch-Albion Centre or photos inside the Albion Mall from back in the day?
I've been searching everywhere for more inside mall shots.

You know, the strip mall that used to have Food City, General Distributing, Colour Your World,. etc?
id have to ask old friends if they have some. I remember drinking at the red lantern there around 79.i remember gene she was a waitress there a tough girl.new how to handle drunks.in a verbal way.not physical.and thats a talent.

Using Photoshop's Autotone feature, I was able to edit your photo overlooking the old Esso and Guelph Gas Stations.

1633804874053.png

Attachments

• 1633804824072.png
    1633804824072.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
id have to ask old friends if they have some. I remember drinking at the red lantern there around 79.i remember gene she was a waitress there a tough girl.new how to handle drunks.in a verbal way.not physical.and thats a talent.

The first batch of photos around Martin Grove and the Rowntree areas were a big hit with the facebook group. 150 likes so far with about 30 comments. I'll get around to posting
more of your photos shortly.

Everyone loves the vintage car shots especially.

The first batch of photos around Martin Grove and the Rowntree areas were a big hit with the facebook group. 150 likes so far with about 30 comments. I'll get around to posting
more of your photos shortly.

Everyone loves the vintage car shots especially.
no problem.post what u want

The Canadian Tire gas pump at Kipling & Rexdale blvd has been sealed up. Looks like demolition will soon be underway.

Personally, I always felt that, next to the Sears water tower or Woodbine Racetrack, the curved roof of this particular gas pump (a relic from gas stations of the 1960's)
was always an underappreciated Rexdale landmark.

canadian tire1.jpg

canadian tire2.jpg

In Rexdale's ever-changing landscape, few old fashioned mom and pop diners have been in business as long as Burger Boy Restaurant.

Burger Boy1.jpg

Located at Humber College Blvd and Highway 27, Burger Boy Restaurant first opened at this location back in 1978. Long time patrons may also remember
when Shanghai Restaurant and BiWays was part of this plaza.

Burger Boy2.jpg

Beyond the collected banter of the regulars, lone pictures of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe adorn the back of the restaurant. This simple aesthetic gives
the impression that Burger Boy Restaurant was aiming for a 50's diner approach.

Coincidentally, Rexdale had another 50's style diner (for a short period of time) back in the late 90's.The restaurant's name wa Nickels, and was located at
Finch and Highway 27. Like many repurposed stores in the area, the structure for Nickels remains, but was converted into an Indian restaurant (Desi Heat),
and soon to be repurposed yet again as an Indian sweets shop.

But I digress.

1664811804145.png

Big Boy Burger's grand opening ad from April 17th, 1978. Photo courtesy of Eugenio Arcilesi.

Admittedly, my goal for travelling from the east end of Scarborough to my old stomping grounds was to sample Burger Boy's fries and gravy.
In the Vintage Rexdale facebook group, I heard that the staff at Burger Boy once operated a food kiosk at the Albion Mall called 'Snack Shack'..
Snack Shack was located next to Silver Dollar (now Dollarama) and the Finch exit leading to No Frills.

As a kid, I used to frequent 'Snack Shack' on an almost daily basis. Back when Albion Cinemas used to play Hollywood movies, an era before
Albion's food court, and a time when Kmart was still a major anchor at the opposite end of the mall, Snack Shack was my instant go-to for a
quick bite after school.

1664812146652.png

By the late 90's, Albion went through a series of renovations and Snack Shack was eventually removed for good. So, with rumours on hand,
I ordered a plate of fries and gravy in hopes of recapturing some of my Albion Mall nostalgia from 26 years ago.

1664808930542.png

Unless you ask, your fries and gravy are handed to you on a plate without a fork or napkins. The fries were pipping hot, made to order
and brought mall visits and long-gone Rexdale restaurants from ages ago.

With only three people working the counter of the tiny diner, Burger Boy orders were shouted every few minutes. So, for those preferring a more
relaxed atmosphere when eating, I recommend ordering your grub to-go.

Last edited:
The Canadian Tire gas pump at Kipling & Rexdale blvd has been sealed up. Looks like demolition will soon be underway.

Personally, I always felt that, next to the Sears water tower or Woodbine Racetrack, the curved roof of this particular gas pump (a relic from gas stations of the 1960's)
was always an underappreciated Rexdale landmark.

View attachment 430065
One of the only examples of Googie architecture in T.O. too!

I noticed the demolition the other day, a shame they couldn't repurpose it. I know that Canadian tire will be moved to Islington, any ideas what could take over this space?

Another recognizable Rexdale location now in the process of being demolished. The Canadian Tire gas station at the corner of Albion and Martingrove rd.

1678716372767.png

Many of you may also recall fond memories of Esso gas station on this property - or the Gulf Gas Station/Petro Can that sat across the street.

1678716499590.png

this is my 1968 Camaro rally sport convertible with the hide away head lights I bought in 77..this pic is 1979.im parked where I circled it on the map.i was driving and I notice the construction so I took a pic for the future.they were making Steeles wider .it was always 1 lane east one lane west.the train tracks are on the other side north.im looking south.look at those cragar ss rims.hurst shifter.jenson triaxils and led zeppelin eh.View attachment 354657

That part of Steeles would not have even been open yet, as it was the new southward bypass around Kipling.

A reunion 20 years in the making: The Canadian Tire Gas pump at Martin Grove and Albion rd. has been converted back into an Esso Gas station.
I'll give everyone a moment to contain themselves.

On a related note: as of August 9th, the longstanding Canadian Tire on Kipling and Rexdale Blvd. has now closed.

1692240353284.jpeg
1692240383597.jpeg

1692240655001.jpeg
1692240692799.jpeg

Photos courtesy of Adolfo Pozo via the Vintage Rexdale facebook group.

Last edited:

Back