News   Jul 23, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 540     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

MBCo (Montreal Bread Company) has vanished - pretty much overnight - from Rosedale. The windows have been papered over and the signage removed.

MBCo (Montreal Bread Company) has vanished - pretty much overnight - from Rosedale. The windows have been papered over and the signage removed.

I'll check that out. Strange, since they just opened, what? This summer? There were always people in there, too, but I can imagine the rent in that location must be quite exorbitant.

The Yorkville store is still open - maybe not the same franchisee? I too was a little surprised to see the Rosedale location closed. It seemed busy enough, but certainly not as busy as Patachou or Cafe Doria, its closest competitors.

Last edited:
I walked by this afternoon and it seems that Duggan's Brewery has opened up on Victoria Street near Richmond.

I am definitely heading down there for the best beer in Toronto. The menu in the door looked pretty decent too.

Early review: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/duggans-brewery-toronto

Nice to see something open up in the old Strand hotel building. It's been empty way too long.

Mövenpick Marché returning to Brookfield Place

http://www.tasteto.com/2010/01/18/t...onto-bumping-richtree-from-flagship-location/

TasteTO has learned that Mövenpick Marché, the popular market-style restaurant chain, will be returning to Toronto after a six year absence. More notably, Marché will be taking over its former flagship location from Richtree Market, the company formed out of the legal battle that led Mövenpick leaving the Canadian marketplace.

Both the Heritage Square and Concourse Level outlets of Richtree in Brookfield Place (formerly BCE Place) will be closing this coming Sunday, January 24th to make way for Mövenpick's return.

The Mövenpick Marché location was first opened in 1992 by Jorg and Marian Reichert, a couple who had worked with Mövenpick on other projects for a decade prior. The Reicherts formed Richtree Inc. in 1996 and acquired exclusive rights to the Mövenpick brand and concept in North America, but subsequent legal disputes resulted in them leaving the company in 2004. The disputes also led to the franchise deal being discontinued, and the restructured company rebranded all Mövenpick locations in North America to Richtree Market.

According to a story in the Toronto Star last March, Mövenpick intends to open at least 10 locations in the Toronto area under a variety of brand concepts including Marché, Bistro, Natural Bakery and Marchelino. All locations will be managed by Marché International, a subsidiary of the Mövenpick Group.

The closure of the Brookfield Place locations has no effect on the rest of the Richtree Market chain, all of which will remain open, including the newest location at Promenade Shopping Centre in Thornhill.

Wasn't this supposed to be the new oliver and bonacini location?

-------------------

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5E 1G4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 104115 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 13, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to vacant ground floor unit for new restaurant. New tenant is "Fran's Restaurant". Part of basement to be occupied for staff use and storage. Outdoor patio is also proposed. Interior occupant load is 106 persons.

Last edited:
http://www.tasteto.com/2010/01/18/t...onto-bumping-richtree-from-flagship-location/
Both the Heritage Square and Concourse Level outlets of Richtree in Brookfield Place (formerly BCE Place) will be closing this coming Sunday, January 24th to make way for Mövenpick's return.

I heard a nasty rumour that Richtree simply forgot to renew their lease at this location, so Brookfield, who apparently didn't like them as tennants, let Marché swoop in. This location is a goldmine and I cannot fathom Richtree choosing to vacate the space.

There will be another Marché opening near the food court in the Bay-Adelaide Centre.

Back