News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

It's a second location of the Gourmet Burger Company in Cabbagetown. They're really good, though the freebies weren't their best work: definitely a rush job to keep the crowds moving.

GBC is gunning for Craft Burger. We have a burger war beginning in our city.

I decided to forego the lunch freebies and get a burger for dinner instead once the dust had settled. Burger was very moist and flavourful, and the complimentary topping list is impressive (for example, sauteed mushrooms, balsamic caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, avocados, etc. are all free, in contrast to Craft Burger, which would ding you $1.25 per EACH topping). The sweet potato fries were crispy and perfectly salted. The service was very friendly, if a little frazzled, but that's understandable for opening day. My only scruple is that you can't order the burger to taste (I would've preferred mine a little more pink). All in all, they have earned my future patronage.

I heard from a Freed salesperson that The Keg will be opening up at King/Spadina ...in the abandoned gas station just west of Spadina!...This
area is trasnforming fast!

So they Keg will be open in 4 years. Thanks for the notice Mr or Ms Freed salesperson. I'll start saving my gift cards. Still good to hear. I wonder if that means it will take up the base of the silverplate building.

Noticed today that the old photographer's place here:

dsc02213g.jpg

is soon to open as:

dsc02214l.jpg

This intersection is turning French! Clafouti, White Squirrel Coffee and now http://www.nadege-patisserie.com/

Recently checked out Nadege for the first time... rocked. The macarons were pretty much bang on to the Paris variety. The sandwiches were pretty good too, though there seems to be much more variety earlier in the day.

20090817_nadege_12.jpg

20090817_nadege_05.jpg

New brewpub!

New brewpub called Duggan's will be opening soon on Victoria St. near Richmond, in the historic Strand Hotel building. This is the place that used to be the Denison's brewpub, which sadly closed right when I moved downtown. This new place sounds pretty good. The brewmaster has a long history of brewing around the city, including at Mill St. before it got so big.

This will make three brewpubs (Mill St. Brewpub, 3 Brewers, and Duggan's) that are (technically) within walking distance in the downtown core. What a vast improvement over the beer scene here only a few years back!

Story on the opening:
http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=2088647

Brewpub website (not yet active):
http://duggansbrewery.com

Last edited:
A new Tim Horton's will be opening at Bloor & Church. I guess the Second Cup next door saw the writing on the wall because they closed and will be replaced by a Sushi joint.

Does C'est What on Front not count?

I love C'est What, but it is not technically a brewpub. They don't have tanks on site. They do have the best selection of Canadian micros I know of, and they do commission some beers to be brewed specifically for them, but the facilities are elsewhere.

Plus isn't there that Beer Bistro place? I've never been in there but I've waited on its stoop many times for the street car.

Beer Bistro is great for imports, and has a great food menu, but again, not a brewpub!

Don't get me wrong, these places are all great, it's a wonderful time to be a fan of decent beer in the downtown core :)

Last edited:
A new Tim Horton's will be opening at Bloor & Church. I guess the Second Cup next door saw the writing on the wall because they closed and will be replaced by a Sushi joint.

Put a Tim Horton's in The Village and I'll be happy! Nothing beats Tim Horton's Ice Cappachino.

Back