News   May 09, 2024
 509     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 821     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 550     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Literally, everything on Queen Street West has closed in this month of October.

Czehoski (Queen and Euclid), Dark Horse Espresso (Queen and Euclid), Hero Burger (Queen and Palmerston), Enzo Pizzabar (Queen and Palmerston) all seemed to close pretty much all at once.

Tealish Fine Teas closed their Queen West shop at Queen and Niagara to move to Roncensvalles.

Zane is also all papered/boarded up as well as of today.

It's been a very very tough few months for Queen Street West.

Czehoski (Queen and Euclid), Dark Horse Espresso (Queen and Euclid), Hero Burger (Queen and Palmerston), Enzo Pizzabar (Queen and Palmerston) all seemed to close pretty much all at once.

Tealish Fine Teas closed their Queen West shop at Queen and Niagara to move to Roncensvalles.

Zane's website says it's closed for renos 19-21 October.

Odd about Dark Horse. Popular micro chain. Busy location. Probably a rent being jacked-up issue.

Dev, your comment has been picked up by Twelve Thirty Six (it links back to you).

Kinton Ramen has opened another restaurant next to Guu Izakaya on Church St.

The 3 Toronto locations of "Guu Izakaya" (Church St., Bloor & Bathurst, and North York Centre) will all be changing their name to "Kinka Izakaya" as of November 1st. The franchise agreement between Kinka Family and Kitanoya Marketing has ended. Kitanoya's website says they will open new locations of "Guu" next year. So it looks like they will be competing against each other - Kinton Ramen/Kinka Izakaya vs Kitanoya Guu.

Blaze Pizza has blown away all my expectations! What a wonderful addition to downtown Toronto!
Blaze wasn't bad, but it didn't blow away expectations in our case. We shared Red Vine and Green Stripe "Signature" pizzas. The Red Vine is their take on a Margherita, and it was the tastier of the two for sure.

IMG_8660.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg

The Green Stripe doesn't look very green in the pics: it doesn't get a pesto drizzle until coming out of the oven.

I will go back, but not in a rush. Next time I'll build my own.

Attachments

• IMG_8660.jpg
    IMG_8660.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_8661.jpg
    IMG_8661.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 730
I've gone twice now, and the first time I did a basic pepperoni and cheese just to see how it would be. It was okay. The second time I got more toppings and it was far better! Especially with the ovalini mozzarella.

I was not expecting gourmet pizza @interchange42 . The pizza was quite decent, but what blew away my expectations was their set-up and their oven. Fast-food build-your-own pizza is in fact possible!

They provide good service as well, each time I've gone they have given me coupons for a buy one get one free pizza. :)

That's pretty much my take on it. It's not that it's the greatest pizza ever as it's merely quite good, what's amazing is that it's made-to-order in three minutes *and* it's quite good. They've really raised the bar in terms of the speed to quality ratio. For not much longer than it takes to get a crappy reheated stale slice of whatever is on offer at a regular pizza joint, you can get something made fresh to your specifications.

I just went to Antler, which is two weeks old, at Dundas and Lansdowne. they specialize in "wild" game and cocktails. I had some amazing Gyozas and a venison Jamaican Patty with Scotch Bonnet Sauce. For snacks, I was very happy with them, now I need to check out the rest of the menu when I come in for a proper dinner.

Kinton Ramen has opened another restaurant next to Guu Izakaya on Church St.

Now that is one place that I just don't get. I work in the area, so I've walked past it nearly every day for a couple of years, and there always seems to be a lineup of people on the sidewalk waiting to get in. They'll even stand there during the middle of winter freezing their asses off. For ramen!!! Idiots.

Do you mean the lineup for Guu? Guu is not a ramen joint.

Back