News   Jul 03, 2024
 234     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 818     2 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

This is the building just south of Wellesley that currently houses a discount store. Used to be a mini mall.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1Z1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 118273 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 18, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to ground floor of existing building for a restaurant with 150 seats. Proposal includes for a commercial kitchen, HVAC and PLB.

This is the building just south of Wellesley that currently houses a discount store. Used to be a mini mall.

TORONTO ON M4Y 1Z1

What a great day it is today. Not only has ushahid been banned for a while, but Price Winners has finally shutdown! I, for one, am glad that many of these "garbage" stores are shutting down on Yonge St.

What a great day it is today. Not only has ushahid been banned for a while, but Price Winners has finally shutdown! I, for one, am glad that many of these "garbage" stores are shutting down on Yonge St.

When will more be shut? I have a love-hate relationship with the strip of Yonge between Bloor and College (I mean, I like The Red Bench, Wanda (um, I mean Nicola's) Waffles (sort of, anyway) and Brownstone Bistro, but others??? SKETCHY!)...

When will more be shut? I have a love-hate relationship with the strip of Yonge between Bloor and College (I mean, I like The Red Bench, Wanda (um, I mean Nicola's) Waffles (sort of, anyway) and Brownstone Bistro, but others??? SKETCHY!)...

I am referring to more of the "perfume" and "discount" stores. Don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful stores on Yonge St., but some have overstayed their welcome. Infact, I would love to see more restaurants exactly like Brownstone Bistro (patios lined on Yonge St.).

Last edited:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1Z1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 118273 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 18, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to ground floor of existing building for a restaurant with 150 seats. Proposal includes for a commercial kitchen, HVAC and PLB.

Great news. Yonge/Wellesley is kind of a sad corner at the moment. Once the Wellesley In The Park condo is complete, and the junky stores are gone, this corner will drastically improve!

The former Ice Lounge on the northeast corner of Carlaw and Danforth, recently briefly called the Kahlúa Cafe, has been renamed again. It is now Gencor Espresso Wine Bar and Custom Furniture (?). Stop in for a drink, buy a walnut bed frame. (Seriously, though, the furniture showroom is in the basement, I am told, and apparently used to be in Corktown).

Scarpetta is closing at the Thompson Hotel

Last year’s biggest, splashiest restaurant duo, pescaterian penthouse The Chase and its casual sister restaurant The Chase Fish and Oyster, are already expanding—in characteristically grandiose fashion. Yesterday, The Chase Hospitality Group announced the upcoming launch of Colette Grand Café and Bakery, a new double-restaurant poised to open at the Thompson Hotel this spring. Colette will take over the space that currently houses Scarpetta, Scott Conant’s Italian power-restaurant, which divided Toronto food critics from the get-go. (Contant’s condescendingly pally “open letter†to the city didn’t help.) Scarpetta closes on March 15.

The Chase group, meanwhile, has big plans for the new restaurant and bakery, which will operate out of a single, open-concept space. Colette will be an upscale, 100-seat dining room specializing in traditional French cuisine, while the bakery will serve pastries, sandwiches and other grab-and-go snacks. (Chase chef Michael Steh is overseeing both menus.) The restaurant is expected to open on May 1st.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-di.../the-chase-replaces-scarpetta-thompson-hotel/

The Maditalian is done. All three restaurants (Leaside, Danforth and College) are closed.

Sorry to hear that - they had good gelato. Hadn't tried anything else yet, and to stay in business here you have to solve the wintertime issue when gelato doesn't sell.

I can't believe the Mad Italian is gone. Where else can I get good gelato?

There are other good gelaterias in town. Il Gelatiere on Mount Pleasant. Hollywood on Bayview. La Paloma on St. Clair. Artegelato on Bloor. Dolce on College…

All of the above are the best of the bunch for gelato others missing are Simply Italian Gelato and Boreal) as is Soma, my personal favourite (especially if you like nut and chocolate flavours) in the Distillery and King West.

Back