News   Jul 25, 2024
 734     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 660     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 504     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I feel bad for the mom and pop independent restaurants too. :( The McDonald’s franchisees are millionaires with multiple locations. When McDonald's wants to expand, the existing owners get priority over everyone else. They will be just fine.

Ontario Permanently Allowing Alcohol with Food Takeout and Delivery... mixed cocktails will be allowed with takeout (I thought they already were until I heard Jen Agg saying they weren't - I've been buying them for months at Alobar...). Nice, but thinking about all the alcohol-related announcements of this government and its predecessor over the past few years, it seems every time there is a problem to solve they just say "more booze!"

I feel bad for the mom and pop independent restaurants too. :( The McDonald’s franchisees are millionaires with multiple locations. When McDonald's wants to expand, the existing owners get priority over everyone else. They will be just fine.
The Atrium was a convenient location though.

This article with a photo of the Jollibee location on Yonge St just north of Gould, expected to open later this month:

Well-placed location for when normalcy returns. Lots of Ryerson students will be frequent customers, I am sure!

McDonald's in the Atrium is gone.

From what I understand, the franchise owner of the Atrium location didn't want to continue and pay a rent increase while there are hardly any customers. Business in the building is way down, with most of the employees in the offices upstairs working from home. Rumour is that Burger King will replace the McD's, but as to when/if it will actually happen, who knows?

The same franchisee also owns the location in the Eaton Centre food court, which I'm sure is a better location to keep. However, it's also currently closed for the time being due to the lockdown in Toronto. There's only maybe 6 or 7 restaurants open in the entire EC food court at the moment.

The McDonalds on Yonge is much easier.
Maybe, but it required going outdoors and was busier at peak periods. The Atrium is connected to the PATH and Eaton Centre, quicker lines, and from a perspective of a Ryerson student, actually quicker trip from the SLC (for those who knew that the Atrium location existed anyway).

Maybe, but it required going outdoors and was busier at peak periods. The Atrium is connected to the PATH and Eaton Centre, quicker lines, and from a perspective of a Ryerson student, actually quicker trip from the SLC (for those who knew that the Atrium location existed anyway).

Fair enough.

Back