News   May 16, 2024
 191     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Not entirely surprising. The Pickel Barrel heavily relied on tourists or folks from the 905 coming downtown on the weekends.

I used to work there in 2007/2008. Given the size I am just surprised it did not close sooner.

I rode inside the Dumbwaiter there as part of an "employee bonding" experience. I also watched it catch fire New Years Day 2008.

In related Atrium news, the hoarding has gone up for the upcoming Popeye's in the food court. Also, the McDonald's is apparently going to shut down due to rent increases. It will be replaced by a Burger King.

Apparently The Pickle Barrel at The Atrium is toast.

Wow... that brings back memories of my second trip to Toronto before I moved from Québec City, in 1986; I had dinner there with friends... Not a good restaurant by any measure, but it had been there for such a long time. I recall having my first piece of cheesecake there.

Not a good restaurant by any measure, but it had been there for such a long time. I recall having my first piece of cheesecake there.

When I worked there we got sprayed for roaches weekly. We actually had staff cleaning days the day before a health inspector was to show up where the restaurant closed early for deep cleaning.

The bugs were so bad that I used to joke that if your plate crawled across the table, kill it and go somewhere else.

Wow... that brings back memories of my second trip to Toronto before I moved from Québec City, in 1986; I had dinner there with friends... Not a good restaurant by any measure, but it had been there for such a long time. I recall having my first piece of cheesecake there.

The quality of the food seem to have gotten worse over the years - to the point I won't even lament it.

AoD

In related Atrium news, the hoarding has gone up for the upcoming Popeye's in the food court. Also, the McDonald's is apparently going to shut down due to rent increases. It will be replaced by a Burger King.
...despite there already being a Burger King on Yonge just south of Dundas Square.

To be fair, there's already too many McDonald's in that area (almost the same density of McDonald's as midtown Manhattan).

...despite there already being a Burger King on Yonge just south of Dundas Square.

To be fair, there's already too many McDonald's in that area (almost the same density of McDonald's as midtown Manhattan).

A density of 1 McDonalds per 1,000,000 km2 is infinitely excessive.

A density of 1 McDonalds per 1,000,000 km2 is infinitely excessive.
There are 38,695 McDonald's in 2019 and the total land area of the Earth is approximately 510,072,000 km^2.

Doing the math and the world density of McDonald's is one McDonald's every approximately 13,181.8581 km^2 of land on Earth.

Last edited:
There are 38,695 McDonald's in 2019 and the total land area of the Earth is approximately 510,072,000 km^2.

Doing the math and the world density of McDonald's is one McDonald's every 13,181.8581 km^2 of land on Earth.

LOL, you do manage to come up with some interesting factoids.

To be clear, I meant one in any 1M km2, not an average!

LOL, you do manage to come up with some interesting factoids.

To be clear, I meant one in any 1M km2, not an average!
I have clarified the stats:

Doing the math and the world density of McDonald's in 2019 is one McDonald's every approximately 13,181.8581 km^2 of land on Earth, which is practically one McDonald's per land area the size of Nunavut's King William Island (including water features) or Montenegro or Puerto Rico excluding water features for both.

Population-wise, there are approximately one McDonald's per 200,000 people worldwide in 2019.

Yes, I do get your point.

Additional signage installed to verify that Maison T at Dupont & Shaw is indeed a new restaurant:

20201025_092958.jpg

Back