Residences of 488 University Avenue, The (Amexon Development Corp) - Real Estate -

I'm sorry buyers, I would still raise it to the developer, you have nothing to lose!
The most significant difference to me is the bathroom! From 100% marble or granite on the floor, walls to only a portion of it covered in marble!

They did make it clear; Representations and information contained herein do not form part of any Agreement of Purchase and Sale.View attachment 225969View attachment 225970View attachment 225971
From photos from previous posts they are following what the list indicates, what they show in a showroom is in no way an indication of what you will be getting, if its not clearly spelled out you will not be getting it, if purchaser wants the same as what's in the showroom then you must write it into the agreement, from the photos the quality looks good in comparison to what i have seen in other buildings.

The kitchen drawing in my agreement

D02A7DD1-59EC-4F2F-B0BA-965753153C3A.jpeg

From photos from previous posts they are following what the list indicates, what they show in a showroom is in no way an indication of what you will be getting, if its not clearly spelled out you will not be getting it, if purchaser wants the same as what's in the showroom then you must write it into the agreement, from the photos the quality looks good in comparison to what i have seen in other buildings.

Exactly. Builders do this all the time. Showroom has a bunch of upgrades but thry don’t tell you that. It’s marketing. Still, the finished product is quite good.

They made me sign a different kitchen configuration earlier in the year because they couldn’t put in the.built-in coffee maker. In the drawing per poster above, you will notice the stones became wood (notice your drawing shows stone on the waterfall edge so you should fight for it). When I got my unit, the configuration is still different than what I signed off (instead of six drawers by the oven I got three as the wine cooler was relocated over from the island - which means the island is now narrower). Anyway in my 30-day form I did put down kitchen has different configuration per plan and I also put down no marble tiles in wet area. I argued that they provided a hand-held sprayer so if you stand up and spray your hair or body, the top of the wall will also get wet so there should be tiles. By the way, Suite 5110 has full tiles in the bathroom by the tub. You can see it in the photos that the owner posted online for the rental listing. I suspect because that unit cost over $1.6M 5 years ago when purchased at over 1,600 sf they could at least give them a few tiles. I also put down sliding doors do not close fully. It’s such lazy design.

Also, in the APS it says it comes with dimmer switches in all rooms and also a security pad linked to concierge. All missing so I put them down on the form as well.

Last but not least, the most ridiculous aspect of the building is that you have to pay $65 minimum to book and use their moving elevator to move stuff into your unit. I think this should be illegal. Oh and you have to pay something like $250 to change the license plate of your registered car for the valet parking which means you cannot drive whatever car you want to park there. That’s absurd. I’m sorry but maybe one day I want to take my convertible and another day I want to take my SUV to stay in my apartment. There should be a class action suit against the Builder and Management company for all this non sense of any lawyer would be interested. .

Last but not least, the most ridiculous aspect of the building is that you have to pay $65 minimum to book and use their moving elevator to move stuff into your unit. I think this should be illegal. Oh and you have to pay something like $250 to change the license plate of your registered car for the valet parking which means you cannot drive whatever car you want to park there. That’s absurd. I’m sorry but maybe one day I want to take my convertible and another day I want to take my SUV to stay in my apartment. There should be a class action suit against the Builder and Management company for all this non sense of any lawyer would be interested. .

First of all, with respect to the elevator booking fee - that sounds like a short term cash grab by the developer - I cannot see how the moving / freight elevator would not be part of the condominium corporation's assets, and the fee could be removed by the new owners' Board once the turnover meeting has taken place. Of course this is of little benefit to all the residents moving in during the period prior to the turnover meeting, and the owners' Board taking charge.

If the moving / freight elevator is shared with the office component of the building, then it would be a different situation - hopefully not the case, as that could be a permanent pain for the Condominium Corporation and its residents. If there is not a dedicated loading dock area for the residential portion of the building, but is part of the shared facilities, not owned or controlled by the Condominium Corporation, a potential charge use of the loading dock itself may be an issue - but unless it is defined in the declaration, may be disputed - would the Condominium Corporation be subject to a charge for every garbage or recycling bin being staged for pick-up through the loading dock?

With respect to the $250 charge to change the license plate of the registered car - just to make one entry into a computer system - seems really abusive. Again, the problem is going to be the contractual relationship between the various components. If the valet parking area is part of the condominium corporation's legal space, the contact can be cancelled by the new Board within the first year - even if a multi-year contract has been signed by the Declarant. If the parking area is not owned by the Condominium Corporation, but its use is provided to the Corporation under the terms of an agreement between the parking area's owner (possibly the Declarant), and the Condominium Corporation - it is a lot more problematic. The only suggestion I would have for owners / residents wishing to potentially park different vehicles using the valet service would be to take out an additional registration on one of the vehicles (I have seen vehicles with two registrations, one license plate on the front, a different one on the back of a car - such as the car which has been registered twice, to have the plates BINTHERE on the front and DONETHAT on the back), put the additional plate in a lanyard, like car dealers use for their test drive vehicles, and hang it from the trunk of whichever car is being used on arrival at the building. This approach would not be legal for use on the street (unless it is on the car for which the plate is actually registered) - would have to be taken off prior to leaving the building , but on private property, should meet the requirements of the valet service....

Last edited:
They made me sign a different kitchen configuration earlier in the year because they couldn’t put in the.built-in coffee maker. In the drawing per poster above, you will notice the stones became wood (notice your drawing shows stone on the waterfall edge so you should fight for it). When I got my unit, the configuration is still different than what I signed off (instead of six drawers by the oven I got three as the wine cooler was relocated over from the island - which means the island is now narrower). Anyway in my 30-day form I did put down kitchen has different configuration per plan and I also put down no marble tiles in wet area. I argued that they provided a hand-held sprayer so if you stand up and spray your hair or body, the top of the wall will also get wet so there should be tiles. By the way, Suite 5110 has full tiles in the bathroom by the tub. You can see it in the photos that the owner posted online for the rental listing. I suspect because that unit cost over $1.6M 5 years ago when purchased at over 1,600 sf they could at least give them a few tiles. I also put down sliding doors do not close fully. It’s such lazy design.

Also, in the APS it says it comes with dimmer switches in all rooms and also a security pad linked to concierge. All missing so I put them down on the form as well.

In that case, fight it. All those extra charges are ridiculous. Reminds me of when I heard a builder gave all units window blinds, then tried to make people pay for them at closing. Some people didn't nknow any better and paid for it. Others said "eff off" and the builder backed down. Sometimes you just have to tell the builder to "eff off"

Anyone knows when for sure the closing is going to happen ? It’s already March and still not everything is ready in the building!

Anyone knows when for sure the closing is going to happen ? It’s already March and still not everything is ready in the building!

Closings and Registration:

1. Other than in the overall general sense, closings are unrelated to the actual completion, everything is ready in the building. Closings take place shortly after the new Condominium Corporation has been Registered by the relevant jurisdiction (in this case, the City of Toronto), and the legal Condominium Corporation entity has been created. Once registration has taken place, the developer, or more technically, the Declarant (the one who submits the Declaration for Registration) is then legally in a position to convey title on closing of the sale.

2. Registration is a documentation preparation, submission and approval process. The City requires a number of documentation components to be prepared and submitted for its review and approval - including the final version of the Declaration itself, along with other items, including an approved and signed off site plan agreement. Until all is in place, submitted, reviewed and approved, registration will not take place, and unit will not close. Obviously, until then, after units have been turned over for initial occupancy, interim or phantom rent is paid to the developer.

Some buildings have gone for extended periods of time between initial occupancy, registration, and closings - can be a year or more in extenuating circumstances. In other, much rarer cases, registration can take place very quickly, well before occupancy has been completed. In one case in Toronto, a building was registered before the first resident actually took occupancy of their unit - the Berczy at Front and Church Streets.

So while this obviously does not help directly answer your question as to when the closing is going to happen, I hope it provides some insight into the process, and some guidance as to where and how to get any further insight on the anticipated closings - follow-up with your Developer as to the status of their activities in getting the building registered.

Closings and Registration:

1. Other than in the overall general sense, closings are unrelated to the actual completion, everything is ready in the building. Closings take place shortly after the new Condominium Corporation has been Registered by the relevant jurisdiction (in this case, the City of Toronto), and the legal Condominium Corporation entity has been created. Once registration has taken place, the developer, or more technically, the Declarant (the one who submits the Declaration for Registration) is then legally in a position to convey title on closing of the sale.

2. Registration is a documentation preparation, submission and approval process. The City requires a number of documentation components to be prepared and submitted for its review and approval - including the final version of the Declaration itself, along with other items, including an approved and signed off site plan agreement. Until all is in place, submitted, reviewed and approved, registration will not take place, and unit will not close. Obviously, until then, after units have been turned over for initial occupancy, interim or phantom rent is paid to the developer.

Some buildings have gone for extended periods of time between initial occupancy, registration, and closings - can be a year or more in extenuating circumstances. In other, much rarer cases, registration can take place very quickly, well before occupancy has been completed. In one case in Toronto, a building was registered before the first resident actually took occupancy of their unit - the Berczy at Front and Church Streets.

So while this obviously does not help directly answer your question as to when the closing is going to happen, I hope it provides some insight into the process, and some guidance as to where and how to get any further insight on the anticipated closings - follow-up with your Developer as to the status of their activities in getting the building registered.
Thanks for your detail answer.

Any purchasers have done their PDI? I'm having issues with the interior finishing, would like to connect with other buyers out there!
hello, I'm wondering do you eventually done with the PDI successfully. cause they seemed to ignore my emails and just saying they already fixed all the still but in fact they don't

Wait, there won't be any semi-outdoor pool? I'm thinking about putting in an offer to rent a unit, but that would be disappointing if the pools are both fully enclosed.
do you know what amenities are still on the list? I see someone saying there will be a restaurant on the upper floor but I never see that on the plan, Thank you so much

hi, does anyone have issues with master bedroom door not being able to close fully due to design? there is a 3 inch gap when the door slides as it cannot close completely. Also are they having a resturant built on the top floor?
Hello, I also have that door can't closed completely problem. do you know have ways to solved it? thanks

Back