Residences of 488 University Avenue, The (Amexon Development Corp) - Real Estate -

South Beach was one of the best projects (in terms of finishes) you will see for a mid-range building. I had the opportunity to buy and remember going to the sales center and seeing the finishes saying "Yea right, they're not going to put those finishes in the finished product)...and they did. I'd say South Beach is nicer than many luxury buildings coming out now.

These look pretty good to me and would be 1st or 2nd upgrades in most projects.

C4616129-10.jpg

C4620687-8.jpg

C4616129-11.jpg

C4616129-18.jpg

C4640509-14.jpg

C4662321-7.jpg

South Beach was one of the best projects (in terms of finishes) you will see for a mid-range building. I had the opportunity to buy and remember going to the sales center and seeing the finishes saying "Yea right, they're not going to put those finishes in the finished product)...and they did. I'd say South Beach is nicer than many luxury buildings coming out now.

These look pretty good to me and would be 1st or 2nd upgrades in most projects.

C4616129-10.jpg

C4620687-8.jpg

C4616129-11.jpg

C4616129-18.jpg

C4640509-14.jpg

C4662321-7.jpg
True except the bathroom at the presentation center was nothing like this. It was completely cladded in big slabs of marbles like Shangri-La, and here we are, can’t even give you 8 more wall tiles to complete the wet area behind the freestanding tub let alone the quality of the marble. The TV in the mirror was probably three times the size in the presentation center and was actual surround sound and not some kind of sound bar perched on top of.a mirror (that’s how they were persuading buyers to pay ~$2000 for the upgrade). The upper cabinet surround in the kitchen is supposed to be stone and not wood and there should be a waterfall edge for the kitchen island. The list goes on. That Wink Relay is a joke. It doesn’t control anything. The APS says dimmer controls in all rooms ... nope. So yes the finishes are exceptional for a mid-range condo but way off what was advertised. I don’t know why builders can get away with this. If you’re supposed to get alloy wheels for your new car, I’m sure you won’t settle for plastic hub caps. We let builders get away with this too easily, meanwhile I can’t think of any industry that can sell you stuff out of spec. Oh ... and who remembers the chevron pattern wood floors they were supposed to install only to change their minds after they sold you the unit.

hi, does anyone have issues with master bedroom door not being able to close fully due to design? there is a 3 inch gap when the door slides as it cannot close completely. Also are they having a resturant built on the top floor?

At the sales centre and in the brochures the finishes looked outstanding and and one of the nicest out of all of the condo developments at the time. I was considering a unit here because of that.
I remember seeing bathrooms and kitchens covered in slabs of quartz or granite, showers with recessed niches with integrated LED lighting (not that petty chrome corner shelf in the photo), waterfall counters, built-in closet organizers with LED lighting, herringbone wood flooring, Samsung smarthome system, etc. Some of these were upgrades but for the most part they were standard and the marketing boasted minimum $57,000 worth of upgrades as standard. It looked even nicer than the finishes at the Shangri-La, but I guess it sounds too good to be true and the builder probably couldn’t afford the finishes from the prices they were selling at given the huge delay in this project.
I totally agree with indycase, while these photos look nicer than the finishes in the majority of condos out there, it’s definitely a huge disappointment from what was promised. It doesn’t look as polished and 5-star as marketed.

The position of the TV in the mirror is odd — only good when you’re peeing standing up, and speaker sitting on top of the mirror is ridiculous (I thought that was something the resident thrown up there for more sound). With the popularity of video streaming on phones, tablets and other devices, these TV mirrors are heading towards being obsolete. For $2,000 I could get Samsung frame TV (looks like a framed picture when not in use) that’s ten times larger and built-in speakers.

I can’t wait to see the amenities and common areas. Hopefully those won’t be value engineered.

I guess this is just another example of bait and switch tactics from a builder. I never trust what I see in the sales centre and not what the salesperson says. Unless it's explicitly written in the sales agreement builder can omit it and nothing anyone can do about it.

Found pics of the sales centre.

15-University-Ave1.jpg

23-488-University-Ave1.jpg

I don't see much difference between the kitchen in the sales centre and the finished product.

I do see a big difference with the bathroom suite though but just being my pessimistic self I would have never thought that this would be standard no matter what they said.
30-488-University-Ave1.jpg

27-488-University-Ave1.jpg

24-488-University-Ave1-e1413829347690.jpg

Last edited:
lol I got ONE pot light in my master bathroom. i give up ?
My bedroom slide door also has a big gap, and the bathroom has no privacy lock. I did put it down on my 30 day form, probably will get ignored ?

On top of that my kitchen and bathroom sinks are leaking

lol I got ONE pot light in my master bathroom. i give up ?
My bedroom slide door also has a big gap, and the bathroom has no privacy lock. I did put it down on my 30 day form, probably will get ignored ?

On top of that my kitchen and bathroom sinks are leaking

Look at your electrical plan to see if your bathroom is supposed to have more pot lights (one seems ridiculous though). The other stuff can/will definitely get fixed. The sucky part is that you'll have to persevere and keep on pushing them on those items.

As someone whom considered purchasing this pre-construction, I have mixed feelings. On first look I thought it looked great!, but yes, the soundbar on top of the vanity, the drywall behind the tub vs the showroom, etc. I would definitely be upset. I don't see pictures of the complaint about the kitchen island, but it does sound bad.

People, this is precon buying 101, if it isn’t written in the purchase agreement the builder can and usually will omit it in the finished product. The model suite means nothing. What the sales people say means nothing. If it’s not in writing in the agreement you signed, you are SOL.

It takes so long to build the condo builder goes above budget and starts slashing what they can.

These are the same people that start off with a great looking render of the exterior. Market the he’ll out of it then when it comes to building it value engineer the hell out of it and produce a finished product that looks nothing like the render. What makes you think they wouldn’t do the same with the interiors?

I’d still complain about it though but if it isn’t in the sales agreement good luck.

Last edited:
Went back and read the feature list. Didnt see anything with waterfall counter too. Was it an upgrade? Also don’t see led lighting in the closet mentioned.

Ugh that really does suck. Pretty brutal that the model suite has floor to ceiling wardrobe and the lights which makes it look fabulous, but what you get is.... Unfortunately it's true that we have to deal with this crap when purchasing pre-con. The place I eventually purchased also has a waterfall kitchen island, and now I'm nervous about what I'm going to get.

If you upgraded your counter top, I'd argue to get some money back as I'm sure they charged you extra for the waterfall part!

Back