News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 854     0 

Reichmann Family to build Retirement Homes in Mississauga

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
no specifics yet, but it appears the Reichmanns are back, and they are now in the retirement home business..

from the Mississauga News:

Developers team up to build retirement homes

By: John Stewart

January 30, 2008 03:59 PM - A Mississauga developer will team up with the Reichmann family, famous for the Canary Wharf project in London, England, to build retirement homes.

Yesterday, Reichmann Seniors Housing Development Corp. announced it is joining forces with Moldenhauer Lifestyles, owned and led by Mississauga developer Michael Moldenhauer.

The Reichmanns used to be in the business of building retirement homes but they sold their 14 per cent stake in Retirement Residences Real Estate Trust (REIT) to American investors for $689 million.

Michael Moldenhauer told The National Post today his company will take potential sites through the development approval process before the Reichmanns build, lease and operate the buildings.

Moldenhauer said it's too early to speculate on the size of the venture. They will start with a 125-unit project in Mississauga that will be used as barometer for the success of the partnership.

"The appetite is to do two or three per year and try and pump the number up to 10, 20 over the next five years," Moldenhauer said. "We have to build one and have it be successful. We have a couple of other sites we are looking at together."

Moldenhauer, a Mississauga resident who is the former president of Opera Mississauga, was recently named the president of the Building Industry and Land Development (BILD) Association. The group represents development industry interests.

His company has developed several residential projects in Mississauga and is currently selling a project which includes two-storey manor townhouses and a mid-sized condominum building in Clarkson Village, next to Birchwood Park.

The 44-year-old's company is also developing Barbertowne on the Credit, just south of Streetsville, which is to feature its own landscaped entrance feature.

I pass by Barbertown Rd relatively often and I decided to Google Map it and it appears there's two of them, on either side of the Credit. I assume at some point in the past there was a bridge linking them.

Speaking of retirement homes though, there seem to be a lot of them going up in Mississauga lately: the Yee Hong centre on Mavis Rd, the one on Mississauga Rd, the one on Mavis/Eglinton one, etc.

I pass by Barbertown Rd relatively often and I decided to Google Map it and it appears there's two of them, on either side of the Credit. I assume at some point in the past there was a bridge linking them.

Speaking of retirement homes though, there seem to be a lot of them going up in Mississauga lately: the Yee Hong centre on Mavis Rd, the one on Mississauga Rd, the one on Mavis/Eglinton one, etc.

Amica @ city centre too. I guess we are preparing for the baby boomers.

Then you have the plan ones at 10 and the lakeshore, Lakeshore in Clarkson.

More coming.

^ Two in Clarkson. One at the corner of Walden and Lakeshore, and one across the train tracks that's on top/in the plaza.

We are just looking the the thin edge of the wedge regarding retirement and nursing homes. There will be more and more and more of these in the coming years. These few being built now are nothing compared to what's coming.

We will be OVERRUN BY OLD PEOPLE!!!

Now you might accuse me of being alarmist just for the sake of it, and you would be right.

I wonder if the Reichmanns' got their timing wrong yet again? (Recession.)

Well one can only hope that they fall flat on their face. I mean who wants a company who doesn't pay their sub-contractors and sub-trades to succeed? I certainly don't. Fingers crossed that they end up in ruins.

Back