News   Jul 17, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Regency Yorkville (Plazacorp/HiRise, 18s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

"Looks fine.A bigger concern is how crap 18 yorkville looks with the window treatments and garbage in front of all that glass."

18 Yorkville is sacred ground for some folk around here...just wait.

Not my favourite new building, but not anywhere as bad as made out to be.

You know there is hyberbole afoot when bourgeois class is trotted out.

They say confession is good for the soul. I dragged Urban Shocker to look at the Regency and I "confessed" that there are elements that I actually like. I didn't feel much better but US was quite tactful in his response. It's a rare case where the actual building is far superior to the rendering. Also a rare case where US was tactful. I love the central fenestration which for me evokes the moderne Hamilton GO Station. I also like the fluted precast in the central section. The Regency is certainly not the horror wot we all feared.

There, I've said it. Shun me if you must.

I like it too, so there. Kinda reminds me of a Toronto office building, but can't quite put a finger on it. Anyone?

Yes, exactly - the PoMo catastrophe at the SW corner of Adelaide and University.

Your getting warmer, interchange. How about the federal bank building?

Regency Yorkvile shows how more can be less - and "horror" is a perfectly apt word to describe what has happened - different decorative elements here and there for the sake of novelty, perhaps trying to break down the mass of the thing but only drawing attention to the visual incoherence that's created, or perhaps hoping that if they cram in enough stuff there will be something for everyone, the switching from one colour of marble ( or whatever it is ) to another, from one decorative motif to another, from one section with inny-bits to another section with outy-bits, creating a total mish-mash with no logic or reason to it.

Regency Yorkvile shows how more can be less - and "horror" is a perfectly apt word to describe what has happened - different decorative elements here and there for the sake of novelty, perhaps trying to break down the mass of the thing but only drawing attention to the visual incoherence that's created, or perhaps hoping that if they cram in enough stuff there will be something for everyone, the switching from one colour of marble ( or whatever it is ) to another, from one decorative motif to another, from one section with inny-bits to another section with outy-bits, creating a total mish-mash with no logic or reason to it.

Wow, you really were being tactful!!!! I didn't even see your lips twitch.

Have to agree though with the mish-mash no logic or reason thingy

I got that impression of incoherency with Jarvis Mansions as well. They had the previous facade to provide some logic, but it's the same mish-mash of trim. The various windows make it worse.

Except that Regency is mere middlebrow, and Jarvis Mansions is cheap/n/'sleazy--even in how it deals with the "previous facade"...

Updates Dec. 7

2096515689_432795c797_b.jpg

Condominium Entrance facing onto Yorkville Avenue, (right beside the garage-entrance... not very appealing to walk by)

2097289344_d789caa920_b.jpg

East Facade... Looks.... old.

2097291002_986d32668e_b.jpg

Corner of Bay and Yorkville

2096514567_36ce78c5a9_b.jpg

2096515143_228de3e5c4_b.jpg

Scaffolding Down, we can see the stone front along the street level.... its not... GREAT.... but not awful? (the street-level I mean)

Back