News   Aug 07, 2024
 256     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 224     0 

Realigning the Historic Fort York Shortline

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
A few years ago, as part of the planned alternative to beautify the Gardiner Expressway, it was proposed that the historic shore of Toronto be realigned to Fort York.

It would be a mini-lake, not a real shoreline, but I think it's a fantastic idea to add a new appeal to this deserted part of the city and contribute to the experience of visiting Fort York.

Here are the drawings I dug up:

picture1ouw.jpg

picture2oda.jpg

Does anybody know if this proposal is still alive?

Wikkid. This is the first I've ever heard of this but I think it'd be a great thing to do.

What a fantastic idea! It would truly put the fort in perspective and announce its presence. Any chance this is in the works for 2012?

It is a very pretty idea, but I think the ship has sailed on this one. I haven't seen any reference to it for quite some time, and the TTC is planning to run a streetcar line straight through what would be the widest part of the "lake." I believe there were also ideas about putting water where the June Callwood park is going, or further to southwest below Fleet. It's not clear that any ponds are in the plans now.

Notice in the first photo how there is a wide green over the tracks. I looked it up on Google Maps and found that the "green bridge" would connect in line with Stanley Park and King St. That would be a sure way to reconnect Fort York to the city.

Last edited:
In the next couple weeks, a design contest well be held for a 10,000 sq/m presentation centre that has to be built by late 2011 so it open for the 2012 200 year event.

There supposed to be a short list of who will be asked to to do this design.

^ Thanks for that. So that confirms that the city does intend to have this bridge built in time for the 2012, 200th anniversary.

No mention of the lake however. I guess that was never a serious proposal, simply an attempt at beautifying the space under the Gardiner.

Back