News   Apr 26, 2024
 216     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 406     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 543     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Can I get something named after me? There's a big pointy tower downtown that's about half a kilometre high. I think that should be named after me.

The TM Tower? (using the same naming convention as the current one)

Putting my earlier expressed concerns to one side.....

Some thoughts on what could be considered for a such a large space.

Notwithstanding a desire for high-level design and some grandiosity, I think the needs of residents come first.

So the usual suspects, a playground, perhaps a sports field, and the like (given a potential 31 acres there is ample room.

Then, the 'grand gesture' space. I do favour anchoring such a space with a water feature.............but I'd like to propose, if possible, that such a feature provide
storm-water treatment for area buildings.......while still incorporating a grand element, be that a fountain, or waterfall or something else with a bit 'awe' to it.

For extras, I think doing something you don't see much in downtown or in parks might be nice.

Perhaps, a 'foragers garden' with edible native fruit trees and shrubs planted, and people encouraged, in this one spot, to pick to their hearts content.

3 kinds of native raspberries, wild grape, Canada plum, blackberry, black currant could all be included,

Perhaps some near-natives blueberry, and paw paw fruit. It could be both educational, and interactive.

How about a small patch of native forest with a focus on native wildflower plantings along the edges. Most people don't ever get to see Trilliums in the wild......

A small botanical display wouldn't be bad either. We rarely see the City do rose gardens for instance.

(I'm sure the City legal would moan about thorned-varieties......)

Sounds pretty good. I'm more interested in what type of landforms we can get on the park. The city already has two roche moutonnees (one in Yorkville the other at Sugar Beach), but I'd be all for more of them. They pay homage to our northern landscape, and are wicked for basking in the sun. Other natural landscape features like a waterfall would be a great touch. And perhaps an esker of sorts, which would be like a snaking ridge stretching along the park. This is actually something I'd like to see if we were to ever cover the eastern USRC (which is already elevated), but in that case it'd be substantially larger - with the entire corridor from Yonge to Parliament being one massive grassy ridge.

How about: Blood on the Tracks Park? Sounds pretty cozy and would be a nice tribute to Bob Dylan.

I'd agree with that for no other reason than it's one of my favourite albums (it's in my top 5). Funny, I've always wanted to reference it on the Transportation forum, but fig'd the only time would be in relation to an 'injury at track level' situation. But I guess other than his association with The Band, there's not much connecting him to TO/Canada... so maybe something Neil Young related would be more fitting?

Sounds pretty good. I'm more interested in what type of landforms we can get on the park. The city already has two roche moutonnees (one in Yorkville the other at Sugar Beach), but I'd be all for more of them. They pay homage to our northern landscape, and are wicked for basking in the sun. Other natural landscape features like a waterfall would be a great touch. And perhaps an esker of sorts, which would be like a snaking ridge stretching along the park. This is actually something I'd like to see if we were to ever cover the eastern USRC (which is already elevated), but in that case it'd be substantially larger - with the entire corridor from Yonge to Parliament being one massive grassy ridge.

How about an adult-only wading pool? Right beside your suggested stone outcropping with a small/safe version of the Lynn Valley Provincial Park waterslide/waterfall into the wading pool?

And on the other side of the wading pool a sandy area with v-ball nets, a licenced bar and live music until 11pm (all Muskoka themed)

(i know...dreaming since the weight would increase the price of the deck but would make it a destination)

Out of curiosity, I did a quick comparison to Central Park in NYC. New York is big.
Central Park.jpg

Attachments

• Central Park.jpg
    Central Park.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 882
Out of curiosity, I did a quick comparison to Central Park in NYC. New York is big.View attachment 82961

Sure is. Calling this Toronto's Central Park is kind of an insult to NYC.

We have just over 100 km2 of green space in our ravines anyway. That's 30x the area of Central Park.

High Park is about half the size of Central Park, and of course Rouge Park is enormous, vastly larger than Central Park.
Sure but those two aren't all that central, especially Rouge Park. Which is the whole point of Central Park.

I think the comparisons with Central Park are kind of pointless. Let this new park just be it's own thing.

Sure but those two aren't all that central, especially Rouge Park. Which is the whole point of Central Park.

Central Park wasn't central to the city either when it was created; not even close to it.

Back