News   May 06, 2024
 554     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 708     1 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Putting my earlier expressed concerns to one side.....

Some thoughts on what could be considered for a such a large space.

Notwithstanding a desire for high-level design and some grandiosity, I think the needs of residents come first.

So the usual suspects, a playground, perhaps a sports field, and the like (given a potential 31 acres there is ample room.

Then, the 'grand gesture' space. I do favour anchoring such a space with a water feature.............but I'd like to propose, if possible, that such a feature provide
storm-water treatment for area buildings.......while still incorporating a grand element, be that a fountain, or waterfall or something else with a bit 'awe' to it.

For extras, I think doing something you don't see much in downtown or in parks might be nice.

Perhaps, a 'foragers garden' with edible native fruit trees and shrubs planted, and people encouraged, in this one spot, to pick to their hearts content.

3 kinds of native raspberries, wild grape, Canada plum, blackberry, black currant could all be included,

Perhaps some near-natives blueberry, and paw paw fruit. It could be both educational, and interactive.

How about a small patch of native forest with a focus on native wildflower plantings along the edges. Most people don't ever get to see Trilliums in the wild......

A small botanical display wouldn't be bad either. We rarely see the City do rose gardens for instance.

(I'm sure the City legal would moan about thorned-varieties......)

Like the David Miller Park :rolleyes:

And the Rob and Doug Ford parking layby, where the buses or tractor-trailers can park.

a-white-passenger-bus-parked-in-a-layby-coach-park-in-newborough-forest-dc4305.jpg

3105488.png

Ah yes. That great Canadian Bob Dylan...
Well, he is from Duluth; which is much further north than Toronto. Winston Churchill has a Toronto park named after him despite not being a hoser. If the park is to be named after a Canadian, then Kim Mitchell Patio Lantern Park has a nice ring to it. What about Trackland Wonderland?

Last edited:
lol..with so much musical talent from Canada surely we can do better than Kim Mitchell. How about Rust Never Sleeps Park? Or go with something a bit more current - You're a Park, I'm a Machine.

Come to think of it, given Gord Downie's health it seems fitting to name a park somewhere in Toronto after him. Call it Fiddler's Green.

Margaret Atwood Park? Skinnamarinky dinky dink Park?
Her and David Suzuki are about the last Canadians deserving of such an honour. Fresh Phil (formerly of YTV) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Wink Yahoo from Uh-Oh, would also be a welcome gesture. On a serious note, though, how about Joey Jeremiah Desjardins?

Her and David Suzuki are about the last Canadians deserving of such an honour. Fresh Phil (formerly of YTV) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Wink Yahoo from Uh-Oh, would also be a welcome gesture. On a serious note, though, how about Joey Jeremiah Desjardins?

Does Wheelchair Jimmy not get a street?

If Rob & Doug's father gets a park named after him, David Suzuki should as well. Near the Science Centre would be a good place, though.

mmrfordmemorial0060jpg.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

I would vote to rename the Ford Park, to something more appropriate.

Back