News   Aug 12, 2024
 293     1 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 524     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

i can sense from a couple of comments that me coming to the defense of debate is being interpreted as, somehow, being opposed to this park....not sure how defense of debate (and the right of all to state their opinions in that debate) could be interpreted that way but...seems it has.

Why should something as transformative and city-enhancing as this proposal be debated endlessly?

Why should something as transformative and city-enhancing as this proposal be debated endlessly?

I fail to understand why youre surprised by this.... Its been the bedrock principle of Toronto since 1950....Youd have to wonder why
so many projects that were envisioned over the years that wouldve transformed and enhanced the city were either shut down, completed to a drastically different and watered down state or
completed at great cost and much longer than anticipated....

....there are a billion reasons!

Or about $1000 per household. That's including renters, home owners, etc. Take away the money in the general fund from levy's it's still about $700 per household.

People in Scarborough will ask why they are funding it while the "downtown elitists" refuse to fund their subway (or add a couple of stops along the way for the $1b)
Or we can add over 3,000 subsidized housing units for the same price
Or how about daycare spaces?

Unless the price comes down considerably it's a hard sell.

People in Scarborough will ask why they are funding it while the "downtown elitists" refuse to fund their subway (or add a couple of stops along the way for the $1b)

Except the downtown elitists are already funding the subway extension by the way of a city wide tax levy that is already in place. And let's pretend that funding 3K housing units or daycare is on the agenda of the councillors who would be against this proposal in the first place.

Beyond that, they want to pick up more $$ spent, they can always adopt a homeless shelter, more social housing, more mental health support or whatnot in their ward - because I am sure downtown get all the goodies right?

AoD

Last edited:
Except the downtown elitists are already funding the subway extension by the way of a city wide tax levy that is already in place. And let's pretend that funding 3K housing units or daycare is on the agenda of the councillors who would be against this proposal in the first place.

Beyond that, they want to pick up more $$ spent, they can always adopt a homeless shelter, more social housing, more mental health support or whatnot in their ward - because I am sure downtown get all the goodies right?

AoD

It's almost as if a subway that goes downtown and to the suburbs serves both the downtown and the suburbs...

It's almost as if a subway that goes downtown and to the suburbs serves both the downtown and the suburbs...

We all know who it *really* serves, since it's an extension of an existing line. Actually since the line goes all the way to Etobicoke, so technically I guess the extension serves them too.

AoD

like the new park...the subway serves/improves the entire city (in varying degrees) and both (IMO) should be funded by city wide contribution.....the debate (in my mind) is "at this time, with competing needs, is $1B (spread over X years) for a new city park the best use of limited city resources".....it may very well be....or it may not....but that is what I would be discussing if I were at the table.

like the new park...the subway serves/improves the entire city (in varying degrees) and both (IMO) should be funded by city wide contribution.....the debate (in my mind) is "at this time, with competing needs, is $1B (spread over X years) for a new city park the best use of limited city resources".....it may very well be....or it may not....but that is what I would be discussing if I were at the table.

It depends on what's "best use" - relative to opportunistic parkland acquisition in the core, it is probably more efficient and gives a bigger bang for the buck. But that's sort of dependent on whether one cares about improving park access in the core - and some don't.

The benefit of moving a project out of a city wide envelope is that you make it a question that is more applicable to the relevant population.

AoD

Would it be possible to have a long term goal of making the park from Spadina to the DVP over the rail lands?

Would it be possible to have a long term goal of making the park from Spadina to the DVP over the rail lands?

I think it's long term enough to think about the current proposal, and there are enough large park in the east that's already built and/or in the pipeline (Corktown Commons, Don Mouth Naturalization) - besides, you'd be building atop both the rail berm and the Gardiner, not bridging a ditch - and nobody is touching that.

AoD

Unfortunately, a sensible discussion is not what we are going to get...

Jim KarygiannisVerified account‏@jimkarygiannis
Rail Deck Park would cost > 1 B “A billion dollars can build a third of the subway along Sheppard.” http://globalnews.ca/news/2945432/p...t-millions-more-than-other-toronto-landmarks/

View attachment 86399

How many people from outside of Ward 7 visit the parks in Mammoliti's ward? How many people from outside of Ward 39 visit the parks in Kargianis' ward?

I'll bet more people from outside of "downtown" would visit the Rail Deck Park than all the people (both from within and outside) who visit the parks in Ward 7 and 39.

I don't live in the downtown, but I may visit the Rail Deck Park. Helps when there are attractions such as Fort York to the west and SkyDome (Rogers Centre) & Air Canada Centre to the east.

Last edited:
....there are a billion reasons!

Or about $1000 per household. That's including renters, home owners, etc. Take away the money in the general fund from levy's it's still about $700 per household.

What a bunch of absolute nonsense.

I hate when people say "it's not the thing I oppose, but the cost. It could cost less." Unless those people can say *why* it should cost less, in respect of how it could be done differently while achieving at least as good an end goal, it's just a different way of saying "it doesn't benefit me so it shouldn't benefit anyone".

As for Scarborough being the touchstone for people who never get anything, northern Etobicoke could make the same case but for some reason their leading political family has spent a lot of time worrying about the opposite end of the city.

Back