News   Jul 26, 2024
 276     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 302     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 328     0 

Racism in Toronto Workforce

Where are the mods and why are they doing nothing?

We don't necessarily read every thread so when something like this happens we need to be alerted. He's no longer with us needless to say.

as idiotic as it sounds he has a point there...

Although in practice, the reality is the inverse--that is, it isn't so much that the Annex poetry-readers will marry themselves off to Burlington with the rest of the whities, as much as they'll stick to their Torontonian guns.

IOW these days, it's the NDP-loving inner-core neighbourhoods a la Roncy and Leslieville that are family-friendly whiteyville a la this mythical Burlington--and "the [nonwhite] poor in Toronto" they're so-called forgetting about are in uncool suburban ScarbEtobiNyork. (Or beyond, in Bramlassauga or wherever.)

Incidentally, my feeling is that my Wolfgang Droege reference went completely over Viriatus' head...

]The soy-eating bra-less women who live in Kensington Market fall fast once they meet a guy with ambition and money. She quickly forgets about her lattes and organic carrots and dreams of kids, soccer, a 3200 sq ft home, and a lawn.

I have been dating a few of these "I'm getting my Master's in _____" lately and they're all the same: selfish. They all pretend to be left wing, eco-friendly green loving organic whatevers, but dig deeper, and they all want a rich husband with the kids, backyard etc.

Hey can i recommend that both er, "Virus" and the irrepressible "Urban Dreamer" try to keep their staggering unfamiliarity with the opposite sex to themselves?

Hmmm. Everyone makes generalizations. Mr Deepend included.

Back to the topic at hand: Yes there is racism in the Toronto workforce; but then there is racism in any city worldwide! Human nature is suspicious of change, of the other guy. Read any newspaper headlines lately?

Canadian Experience Req'd

There is a growing number of job ads requiring "Canadian experience", which is IMO a method for firms to avoid immigrants and minorities. I think there is a huge disconnect between the government and the private sector, in that the government wants to bring in tons of immigrants, but private firms don't want them. I'm surprised that the government hasn't deemed such "Canadian Experience" requirements racist, or hate, discrimination, or whatever term the Human Rights and Charter folks feel is appropriate.

Check out some of these...does payables clerk really need Canadian experience?

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/10109160 Civil / Structural Design Engineer - ten years Canadian Experience needed

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/8913992 Financial Analyst - four years Canadian experience

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/10074296 Drafting Coordinator - Minimum 5 years of Canadian experience

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/9928173 Accounts Payable Clerk - Previous Canadian experience a definite asset

I opened up your first advertisement and noticed the person doing the hiring was named "Neerav Joshi". Which doesn't strike me as a particularly European-sounding name. So I'm going to be a bit doubtful that Mr. Joshi is opposed to hiring minorities.

Coincidentally this is the ad that requires the most "Canadian experience".

Okay, this thread was an eye opener. Now I have an idea of what it takes to get banned around here.

So, the question is: does one get banned because of one's opinion, or by not presenting it well?

Is true discourse encouraged, or are we only 'allowed' to chart a very narrow course?

A thread about racism and employment in this city cannot be opened in the first place with the naive assumption that there are going to be no heated emotions.

Anyone who has lived in this city more than 5 years can tell you that.

I am not going to be dragged into any opinion just yet. He (?) certainly sounded pretty rabid in his presentation, which automatically undermined any point he may or may not have had, but there are very many opinions out there. Some interesting, some not so much.

Still, being a newbie here, I am reading ALL the posts, even the locked ones.

"Canadian experience"

its means different countries have different ways of doing things,where does it been no visible minorities or immigrants?.Last thing I see in Toronto minorities make up the majority of the population and if you are caught hiring people just because of color your company reputation is ruined completely,so what level minded company would allow this to happen?.Some visible minorities groups have a more racist stance than European counterparts towards other people.

if you are caught hiring people just because of color your company reputation is ruined completely,so what level minded company would allow this to happen?

How could you find out/prove that a person hired someone else because of race?

Back